Gestational diabetes support thread

Ach it's not too bad, I'm slow and waddling lol! The worst of it is in bed at night ..... It's so painful to move and turnaround :-(

For lunch I had 2 x burgen bread toasted with cheese and sugars were 4.6 after, sugars after breakfast were 4.3.
For dinner we're having chicken, new potatoes and brussel sprouts, can't wait ..... the smell of the chicken in the oven is driving me mad with hunger lol.
Not had time for any snacks today cos I was out at my reflexology this morning and then after lunch DH and I were sorting out the cupboard under the stairs ...... it's amazing how much stuff was packed in there!!! Glad it's all sorted now though I am feeling quite sore now xx

Oh no - I'm struggling enough in bed so can't imagine what it must be like having PGP as well as just generally being pregnant! The end is in sight now though xx

Your levels sound like they're doing well :) food sounds lush too! Simon is making chilli tonight which I'm having with a little bit of spag and plenty of vege. Had one slice of toast and egg this morning and then lunch had a ham salad wrap then some carrots and hummus as an afternoon snack as the wrap hadn't quite filled me up.

Nervous about consultant tomorrow. Keep thinking what if my levels were so bad that they're going to insist on insulin? Or would they have told me that over the phone last week and got me in sooner?

Enjoy your chicken tonight!

And haha we are terrible hoarders. We hold onto all sorts of crap and then once in a blue moon we have a clear out and swear we are going to keep more on top of things. ... and then gradually go back to the way we were haha xxx

I think if it was that bad they would have seen you sooner, good luck at your app tomorrow xx

Your food sounds good Naomi xx

Sugars after dinner tonight were 4.9, just off to have my bedtime snack now to keep me going until morning xx

Thanks Karen, will let you know how I get on. Enjoy your snack! Xxx

I was diagnosed with gd at 28 weeks with my baby who was born last November - he is now 7.5 months old. Any questions please ask?? X

Hi Carla :) thank you. How big was your baby in the end? And were you induced early?
Any tips for keeping levels reasonable? Xxx

Good luck today Naomi and I really recommend the Facebook page for asking questions and getting info xx

Thanks Karen. Have had a little look at it over the weekend but will have more of a look this week. Will let you know how it goes this afternoon. Hope you have a good day :) xx

I'm off to a breastfeeding ante natal class this morning xx

Naomi I wouldn't worry about being put on insulin. If you need it to help with levels you need it. It's the safety of your baby that's more important. When I was told about going on it I was glad that they wasn't even going to suggest the metformin tablets as they are horrendous (or were for me when I was given them under my fertility treatment). In fact I would have refused to take them and insisted on the insulin.

I was only taking at night - started off on 2ml then increased gradually to 10mls till I gave birth as my fasting levels were just above 5 every morning. Rest of levels were fine and managed through diet.

Good luck for your appointment today.

I hope you're ok Naomi xx

Hi! Sorry for delay, had a manic afternoon after the appointment followed by a huge tantrum from our toddler and now a friend has popped over for a chat!

All went ok thanks Karen - she said my fasting level had been fine last week but my level after the drink was a bit too high. Had bloods taken for them to check my blood sugar levels and she showed me how to use the reader thing. Did a reading while I was there as it was an hour after lunch and my level was 5.9 which she was happy with. Just done another reading an hour after dinner and my reading was 5.1 so again within a decent range. I've been told to do fasting levels one day (before meals) and then after meals the next day so alternate it.

Got a growth scan booked in for next Wednesday along with a consultant meeting. And have been told that induction etc will be dependent on how my levels go and how baby is doing.

Had a Fajita for tea tonight, stuffed with vege and salad and chicken and a bit of cheese, and in a wholegrain wrap instead of a normal Fajita wrap. Got some greek yogurt for before bed.

How are you doing today Karen? Xxx

How was your breastfeeding class? I'm hoping to breastfeed again this time around. Hoping it doesn't hurt quite so much for the first few weeks this time haha! Xxx

Glad it went well for you, I was worried that your silence meant you were too upset to come on. It's strange how different things are from health board to health board isn't it? Your levels sound good, well done xx it'll be good to see baby again, did they say how often they'll scan you?

Breastfeeding class was a bit of a let down to be honest although I'm not sure what I was expecting! She just told us everything that's in the book they give you about breastfeeding!
I ended up having a trace for an hour as I mentioned that baby had been a bit quieter than normal last night and this morning. All was well and he was moving about loads but I just can't feel him xx

Ah sorry to make you worry! I was a bit upset at the start of the appointment because they went into the risk of stillbirth etc which was all a bit scary but the test of the appointment was positive.
And yes strange how they do it so differently! Seems mad really. Do you test an hour after eating or two hours after eating? Can't remember what you said now.

They didn't say how often they'd scan me no. Think it depends what the scan shows next week. Hoping they will scan me fairly regularly for peace of mind. When's your next scan?

Ah that's a pain with the class. I generally found I just muddled through with breastfeeding first time around - I was happier with it once I was in my own home and not being watched etc at the hospital lol.

Glad all was ok with the trace. I've been in two minds about going in myself. Although the little monkey is moving a fair amount this eve.

Hoping I remember to check my levels when I get up! Xxx

Fasting levels today. 4.7 this morning.

I've got a friends wedding on the 16th and wondering what their menu is going to be and what it will potentially do to my levels. One day can't hurt though surely as long as I'm sensible? I can't exactly take my own food and as long as I limit the carb intake hopefully it won't be too bad xxx

That's a good level, well done. I'm testing 2 hours after meals and first thing fasting xx

I'm sure you'll be fine at the wedding, according to the GD website the golden rules are High protein, high fat and low carb. Wedding menus are usually meat or fish with veg and potatoes aren't they anyway? The dessert might not be suitable though, can you let them know you have a dietary requirement and ask for some strawberries and cream or cheese and oatcakes for dessert, most places will accommodate a special dietary requirement xx

4.4 fasting before lunch. Weird how it was lower before lunch than it was first thing? Maybe because I went for a walk this morning?

How have your levels been today?

And yeh you're probably right about the wedding menu. I will probably just skip the dessert as don't want to cause last minute hassle. Might pop a jelly in the car in case I need something :)
Xxx

Mine have been fine, phoned the diabetic nurse with my levels and she's really pleased. Don't need to phone in again until next Thursday unless I have any problems :)

This link explains why the first fasting level of the day could be high
http://www.gestationaldiabetes.co.uk/high-fasting-levels/

Take some mixed nuts too for snacking on or to add to anything carby for pairing xx

Ah I've got to go in once a week, I haven't been given the option to ring in - would be much easier!! Although my appointment next week is straight after my scan so at least I would have been there anyway.

Well, it's another day down.

Any ideas if we have to continue doing these tests at hospital after we deliver or do we stop once we go into labour?

Hope you've had a nice eve :) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back