The Gestational Diabetes support thread

Froslass

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I thought I'd start a thread as a few of us had mentioned about GD on the welcome thread.

I have now had my LO but had issues with gestational diabetes and excess waters.

Just thought it would be cool for us to share our experiences and outcomes incase it's useful to other mummies and mummies to be x

Last edited:
I was diagnosed last week with GD, i had no idea i had it and pretty much knew nothing about it. I'm currently testing everyday to see what my levels are like as to whether i willl need to be on medication to control it or whether diet can control it instead.

Since last week i have only had one high reading... and that was after pigging out on a duo snicker bar hehe so fingers crossed i can do this with just diet control.

I had Insulin controlled GD so here to offer my experiences if anyone needs and advice x

I'm waiting to have my gtt but am showing signs of diabetes. I will be calling on your expert opinions if I turn out to have it xxxx

AR I was on a carb restricted diet and insulin 4 times a day, I was tough but not as scary as I thought! By all means, let me know if you have any questions and I will gladly share my experiences :) xx

Aw thanks Hun! :hugs:
I'm already trying to eat healthy but not sure if it's foods that will help. I thought if I start now it won't be such a big shock of I do have it xxx

Well I was completely not in the know lol I just thought I had to cut out sugar lol but in fact carbs break down into sugars so watching carbs is the main thing but they pics don't recommend you cut them down tok much when your pregnant obvs! All dietary advice will come from your dietician if you are diagnosed!! I basically lived off pork chops lol yummm im still having to watch it as my results came back borderline for type 2 :( x

I have GD and was really good in first pregnancy to stick to my diet and have minimum treats but this time I have found it harder and have a sugary treat everyday :( I am on metforim and insulin and I just try to keep up with that to help ease it all.

Hope everyone is ok x

Had my first son by C-section after failed induction (started at 38 weeks, born two days later by emergency section)

This time they are waiting till I am 39 weeks and 1 day to preform my section as I refused another induction as they are so close together x

My GD was diet controlled and borderline. Infact, I was told my results were ok and then the guidelines changed and they called me a week later and told me that under new guidelines I was borderline diabetic.

H was born and as a result of my diet had low blood sugar so ended up in special care

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have GTT test on Thursday. Due to family history of diabetes x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I had GD and it was controlled superbly through diet alone and though the consultant thought originally I would need medication, just eating sensibly was enough. I got induced a week early and all was fine afterwards. So if anyone finds out they do have it, don't worry too much, it's not necessarily a big deal :D

I had a GTT done due to having a high bmi, and it came back fine, something like 4.2 before and 4.3 after. But at my 2 appointments since then I have had glucose in my urine, have another check this friday and I'm scared there will be glucose in it again.

Does this mean my GTT was wrong? Or can GD start later in pregnancy? Would they do another GTT if they find glucose in my urine on friday? xx

Kanga I'm not sure you know! I had a fasting blood sugar done at about 18 weeks as I was so tired and thirsty and that came back at 4.1! When I had my gtt at 28 weeks my fasting level was 8.9 fasting :/ and a whopping 15.4 two hours after the lucazade!!!! So on my case of dud start later! Sorry prib not what you want to hear! Given that you are late on it may just be a change in duet for just few weeks and a few extra appointments? Xx

I suppose it is always better to know about it. I have a growth scan on Thursday so hopefully Roo is measuring OK even if I end up with GD. Other than a change in diet etc would it affect when I can have the baby? Do they induce u early? I know I could be fine but it would be good to know in advance xx

Can this be support for all types of Diabetes not just gestational? I am type 2, I've had a few mixed messages, some saying I can stay on my normal medication as long as mu blood sugar is controlled, and some saying I will have to go Insulin immediately.

My daughter is also a type 1 diabetic, so I'm not looking forward to if we're both injecting before meals!

I'm not sure you know! I'm borderline type 2 now but I'm pretty sure if you can control with your current medication it should be fine! The thing they looked for was my levels every day and they just really need to keep those in check! You may find though that the further on in pregnancy you get the harder it will be to control with your current dise! I'm guessing, and obvs not 100% certain that they will monitor first for a while to see!! Xx

That's what I believe, that the sugars will get harder to control as we go on, and I understand that, but I'm currently working my little butt of to get the sugars down and keep them down so I can stay off the Insulin as long as possible.

Aww bless you! I remember when I was diagnosed I worked so hard but towards the end I was on three separate shots at mealtimes and one at night :( was a nightmare doing anything more strenuous Incase if hypos but I guess you have experience if that with your daughter :( not nice xxxx

Aww bless you! I remember when I was diagnosed I worked so hard but towards the end I was on three separate shots at mealtimes and one at night :( was a nightmare doing anything more strenuous Incase if hypos but I guess you have experience if that with your daughter :( not nice xxxx

Well at least I already carry glucose tablets in my handbag and know what to look for....thanks for your support :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back