The Gestational Diabetes support thread

GD is something I am concerned about at my 20 week scan babies tummy was on the large side (off the little scale) but they didn't seem concerned and amniotic fluid was normal I have asked my midwife and she also doesn't seem worried. I am normal weight and have no risk factors and my MW won't test me but the abdominal circumference of baby did worry me - what do you think? x

So I do have GD. It's borderline and I'm not on meds for it which is good. I had a growth scan yesterday at 26 weeks and bubs measured spot on just a bit chubby on the tummy. I've been advised its not a problem at the moment as it's just on the high end of normal. This sounds a little like what you have been told? The hospital MW said to keep his tummy measurements following the curve of the growth chart I need to keep the GD in control. With this in mind if I was in your position I would want a test to be sure. Maybe they won't test as 20 weeks is rather early. I had a test early because I took a urine sample after breakfast and it showed glucose so they did a gtt. I am overweight so I already had the risk factor. Maybe you could try your next urine sample after breakfast and if it shows up then you will get your test. If it doesn't show up then it's not a problem. As for your babies tum maybe you could try and follow the diet they recommend for GD just incase? Having said that I would be reluctant to recommend dieting when pregnant unless you are advised so that's your call. Hope this helps. Xx

Thanks Rhonda I am 25 weeks now and have a OB appointment on the 23rd so will ask again then I have had numerous urine tests at all times of the day after dinner/breakfast and my glucose has always been negative just baby's tummy that seems to be big x

If your samples always come back clear then GD probably isn't the reason for the tummy measurement being a bit high. I think they test between 26 and 30 weeks as that's when your body struggles to process insulin the most. Keep trying you might be able to get a test but it might also be worth asking if there are other factors that might cause the larger tummy. If they aren't worried then I would try not to worry yourself. I know that's hard though. For me I have a way of actively trying to influence my babies next measurement but for you it must be hard not knowing what you can do to help xx

Thanks Rhonda really appreciate it will ask consultant at next appointment also have Strep B to deal with, this worry never ends! X

Last edited:
Don't think it ever does once the worries of pregnancy ends the worry of motherhood begins xx

Hey ladies, not sure if this is the right place but my last mw appt I had a lot of sugar in my wee so off for a GTT 2nd Jan. I've never had this before with my previous pregnancy but i have alot of the symptoms and the last few days Ive been SO dizzy/fainty feeling its awful.

Can anyone enlighten me about GD Ive no idea and a bit worried about it? Thanks xx

Edit to say, im not in the "category" to have it as no family history and im under 10st etc so not overweight.

Last edited:
I just found out that I have GD on Wednesday, baby is on the big side so that's why I had to have the test done so I can't really help you bb but good luck for your test xxx

Last edited:
Hi girls, I might be joining you very soon! I had GD when pregnant with my little man, and so I'm being tested today and then again at 28 weeks if this one is negative. Does anyone else here have GD with their second? X

I had GD with my second but not with my first. I remember being told though that once you've had it in one pregnancy you are more likely to get it in subsequent ones, but there's always a chance you'll be absolutely fine! Good luck xx

I've got GD again :( my reading was 10, so they want me in to see the diabetes team next week. I'm a little bit gutted to have come back positive this early on.

Hi, I'm 14 weeks and this is my second pregnancy with GD. I started checking my levels on Tuesday 22nd Dec and started immediately on insulin Christmas Eve as levels were average 12 an hour after meals. I started 2 units nova rapid before meals and if finding the levels still high then to increase to 3 units....increased to 3 on Christmas Day.
This time I've been given advise to check my ketones if any result is above ten and if detected to contact the labour ward. Last night after tea I got a 12.2 reading, used a ketostix and got a plus 2 bordering plus 3 ketones!!! I rang the labour ward who weren't interested as it wasn't an obstetrics problem (I'm not pregnant enough to warrant them Getting involved it's a medical problem) so told to contact GP out of hours service. They were concerned and told me to go to A&E as they could book me in quicker to see the medical team as a probable admission case. Got to A&E last night with an 8 hour wait just to be seen by an A&E Dr then possibly needing to be transferred to the care of the ward doctors if needed....an absolute farce! Was left in the waiting room for 4 hours with no additional checks other than basic observations on arrival and told I would just have to wait to be seen, I was in tears at this stage as didn't know the implications for the baby.
Ended up googling ketones, monitoring my BG with my own machine in the waiting room which was slowly coming down and left the department 4.5hrs later having decided it couldn't be that bad if no one was concerned and I was only there as per the diabetic nurse who instructed me on Christmas Eve.
By the time I arrived home 5 hours later, my ketones had reduced to a trace, my BG was more acceptable at 8 before bed and all okay today although I have made the decision due to my post meal results to increase to 4 units of nova rapid and my levels are more acceptable today....don't care if the nurses tell me off when I ring them on Monday as I made the decision to adjust according to my situation and I feel I've been left with no support over he Christmas holidays/weekend.
Any advice on ketones would be gratefully appreciated......

Hi all,

I am joining this board too. I just had my test (yesterday) and this morning a call from midwife she wants me to go and see her at 2pm today. I dont know my levels yet, but the test came back positive for GD.

They tested me because my last two pregnancies were big babies (but no GD) and this one I am measuring big (I am overweight and over 40). I had a scan yesterday as well as the GTT and baby is average.

Hi

This is my first post here.

I'm 12w4d with my 2nd child. I had gd from 28 weeks with my first. I started testing with my own machine the week before xmas and got readings about the norm. My highest reading 2 hours after eating was 13.6. I had my 12 week scan last week on 30th Dec. Saw a midwife and told her my concerns. She booked me straight in to the diabetic clinic for the next day. I saw the diabetic midwife, the dietician and also the diabetic consultant. I was started on slow release metformin that day.

I've followed the dieticians advice regarding what foods should be good for the bg but I've had readings of above 12 after eating what has been recommended :shock:

I have to phone the midwife tomorrow with my results.

I have no interest in food whatsoever but I need to eat to avoid hypo's. Feel like I'm in a vicious cycle :wall2: just thinking about food makes me feel sick.

Shell x

Hi! I hope it's ok I join in, I got told I have GD last week at 35w and found out yesterday due to GD I'll be induced at 39w,I turn this is Saturday 30th Jan which means I think they will book me in for the monday. Do u think they will let me request to be booked in the Friday before? I was thinking that as its then the weekend and 2 non working days the "waiting for labour time" will eat less into Hubs paternity leave as no it can take days so if 2 of them are a weekend it would help?

Who do I speak to about this? My MW or the diabetes consultant? How do the diabetes team work with the delivery and maternity team and who "books" me In?

Hi ladies, how are you all getting on?

I have been moved up on my insulin now, she wanted me to try it just overnight to begin with but then progress to before each meal. I have to admit all this needle pricking and timings are getting me down. i suppose i should count myself lucky its not something I have to deal with for life but it really takes over your day right now doesnt it :(

Hi all. I haven't been on for a while and I come back to quite a few of you having GD confirmed. How are you all doing? Be good if we could try and help each other out.

I'm still diet controlled at the moment I'm 32 weeks and baby is still measuring good. His tummy measurement is still on the averagely high size if that makes sense so I need to be very careful he doesn't pack the weight on and get big or have have low blood sugar at birth.

I've discovered a few things about diet that make life easier though. Stew is a lovely warm meal that fills me up and gives me nice low after meal readings plus it's full of veggies. Oatcakes with tuna mayo sandwich paste and cheese are gorgeous I have 6 as a snack and pile on the topping and my pre lunch reading is always good when I've snacked on that about 11ish. Fish with rice and veg is another nice meal that keeps me nice and low. Options do a hot chocolate flavour called chocco latte which is lovely as a mid afternoon treat and for me it takes away the sugar craving I usually get at around 2pm. Also a nice steady 20 minutes of activity after a meal really does help me get my readings lower.

Hope this info helps someone out a bit although I'm sure we are all different and food affects us differently xx

Last edited:
Just wondering if anyone has had a time when their sugar levels have gone down? I was on insulin evening and over night and my fasting levels were always around 7. Last weekend I had a pre eclampsia scare but monitoring at triage said everything was fine. I am visiting the midwife every two days at the moment to check BP, urine etc.

Since last weekend my sugar levels have dropped as if I do not have GD, and i have not injected any insulin at all.

I have a scan on monday, but what I am worried about is that this can be a sign of the placenta failing-im only just coming up to 31 weeks :(

Anyone had similar?

My sugar levels have dropped to 3.4 so I was told to reduce my insulin and that was it, have to go back to have them checked again next week, my next scan is on feb 4th, I wasn't told anything about that :/ but I guess thats because you had a pre eclampsia scare, hope all is well and good luck, let us know how you get on xxx

Last edited:
My sugar levels have dropped to 3.4 so I was told to reduce my insulin and that was it, have to go back to have them checked again next week, my next scan is on feb 4th, I wasn't told anything about that :/ but I guess thats because you had a pre eclampsia scare, hope all is well and good luck, let us know how you get on xxx

I think because I had the pre eclampsia scare coupled with these odd readings they are being cautious. Because I was in hospital on Sunday night being monitored I never got round to injecting the insulin (i'm not on metformin either) and thats when I noticed the readings and thought it was weird, its like I haven't even got the GD anymore but my consultant says that's not possible until baby is born, as its hormones in the placenta that regulate the insulin in our bodies. I haven't been good in the eating stakes either and have eaten all sorts of naughty things like bread, pasta and chocolate.

These are all fasting readings, my morning one was always highish at between 7 and 8 (without insulin) but all this week they have been around 5-5.9. So even though they are good readings its strange how i have dropped to 'normal' with no medication or insulin.

They are still finding small amounts of protein in my urine and my BP is slightly, but not overly raised so i guess it all could be tied up together. Roll on Monday when I might get some answers! :) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back