Gestational diabetes support thread

scn

Reaction score
So a few of us September mummies have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes :-(
We need a place to hang out and share tips and just generally support each other.
If anyone else has GD or is diabetic please feel free to join us and share your own tips :)

So bummed I am having to post here but really glad to have the company and support xxx

I've calmed down slightly and spoke to a friend from Canada who had it during her pregnancy. She said she found going for a 15 minute walk after each meal helped loads with her levels. She only ate fruit in the morning and then made sure lunch and dinner were like 50% vegetables. And then she also said to have something small just before going to bed.
xxx

Having spag bol tonight - never add salt to food anyway and it's cooked from scratch so does this sound like it'd be ok? Haven't got wholegrain pasta yet but will get some in my weekend shop xxx

there is a very helpful Facebook page called gestational diabetes for uk mums.

It helped me greatly when I was diagnosed on first pregnancy and it is run by very nice admins. If your on Facebook take a look at it. There are two groups a public one and a closed one which you will need to request to join. It's the closed group that will have most of the helpful information for your GD journey.

I found following a high fat and very low carb diet was best suited to me. I couldn't tolerate fruit as it always sent my sugar levels through the roof. And remember, carbs turn into sugar so limit them as much as you can.

Good luck ladies.

Ah thanks for the tips fruity :) will check that out xx

Having spag bol tonight - never add salt to food anyway and it's cooked from scratch so does this sound like it'd be ok? Haven't got wholegrain pasta yet but will get some in my weekend shop xxx

From what I've read, as long as the pasta is made from duram wheat it should be fine, the spaghetti Bol should be fine as its high protein xx

I think I'm going to struggle for variety mostly and for snack variety as I'm always hungry at the moment, an hour after eating I feel starving again :wall2:

Ah I'm the same Karen. I have been eating little and often but the snacks I've been having won't be ok now - fruit, crisps etc.
I'm thinking its going to be more chopped carrot/cucumber/pepper and things like that, boo.
I didn't check about the duram wheat. Will have a look at the packet tomorrow.

Bit nervous about how it's going to work with DH as he's not the best for eating vegetables etc so I'm probably going to be making separate meals :-/ xxx

That's a really useful leaflet, thanks Karen :)

What have you done for food today?

I've been a bit limited as not in my own home but had some wholegrain toast this morning with a few blueberries. Small ham sandwich from the buffet plus salad at lunch. And it's chicken dinner tonight but going to leave the gravy and stuffing and just have chicken with a couple of potatoes and then vege.

There was chocolate cake going round earlier and I stayed firm and didn't have any which was pretty awesome I thought, especially seeing as millie sat on my lap eating a piece.

Going to go shopping once I get home tomorrow pm for some healthy snacks etc.
Xxx

I've had French toast for breakfast, homemade lentil soup for dinner and steak with new potatoes for dinner. Snack wise I've had some nuts and a yogurt. I'm just trying to get by with what I've got in for now until I see the team on Monday then I'll go shopping afterwards xx
Good on you for resisting the chocolate cake, I must admit, I'd probably have had a wee bit :blush:

Haha normally I would have too but I already know that this is a big baby and don't want to risk it getting bigger and bigger!!

Get you with the homemade lentil soup ;-) im so lazy with cooking at the moment but need to do more from scratch xxx

Haha, it wasn't made recently .... I had it in the freezer!

I was diagnosed at 18 weeks with my daughter and managed to keep my readings all normal. As time passes you figure out what works and what doesn't. My diabetic midwife said no more than a fist sized portion of carbs a day and to go on a short walk to help lower the sugar levels. I found I could tolerate one twix finger so that was my little treat :)

Last edited:
Thanx for the page scn, sorry we are here but nice having each other :hugs:

Lolie has your diabetes left since you had the baby?

As fruity said the GD uk site on Facebook is great I joined it the day I found out, been testing since wednesday and levels have been stable which is great which am surprised about still questioning it they got there tests right, have been adding little changes to my eating still away's to go though, just got to make it until tuesday to see my consultant and find out what's happening. Not sure I could have skipped the cake too Naomi lol x

Yes, when i went for my post birth GD test I passed 😃

I'm glad there is another person who can vouch for the GD site as it truly helped me along my GD journey. The diabetic team I had wasn't as informative as what I found out from other gas mums to be and the site I come across. There was plenty of posters up in clinic about increasing your fruit and veg intake etc but like I said I could not tolerate fruit and also some veg like carrots shot my levels up.

It's all about trial and error and finding what food groups work for you. No health professional will recommend a high fat diet but when I done it it worked I forgot to mention in my first post that I also ate a lot of protein too. So I ate everything full fat (even cooking all my food in fat - instead of the low fat cooking sprays etc),piled my plate with lots of protein and reduced the carbs.

I lost count of the amount of full cooked breakfasts I ate lol. I still ate my Friday night Chinese just adapted it from my usual egg fried rice, curry sauce and chips to beef chow mien, mushroom curry and one poppadom. My sugar levels seemed to accept this. You just got to stay away from the sweet and carb dishes.

I also found the Burgen bread (soy and linseed one) was good to eat too. I was able to eat my usual ham and cheese sandwich for dinner in work. Don't eat nothing diet as when something is low fat / fat free it's usually got added sugar in it. So if your a yoghurt lover always buy the full fat version as that will be friendlier on your levels.

I didn't snack between meals as I never do that anyway. I managed to control my levels quite well through the day the only issue I had was overnight fasting levels so I was put on insulin at night to help bring them down.

F.

Thank you fruity that's really helpful. I'm worried mostly because I always feel hungry even after eating a meal but maybe the higher protein meals will help with this xx

Yes scn

Having more protein will fill you up. This is something I had to learn and completely change the way I ate as I'm a more carb person than protein so to begin with it killed me piling my plate with carbs and full fat of everything and only having a little bit of carbs but I soon got used to it and it become the norm. I had to throw everything I knew about eating healthy out the window and re-educate the way I ate to accommodate my GD. It helped me in the end as by time I gave birth I was only 7lb heavier than I was when I found out I was pregnant and was 2 and half stone lighter when I got home from hospital.

Cheese is a very good food to eat as there is just a tiny amount of carb in it and I think you have to eat a load of it to get any sort of carb content. I used to have the laughing cow triangles and sliced ham at hand in fridge so if I did feel peckish I'd grab a slice of ham fold it over and squash a triangle in it so it's like a cheese sandwich without the bread if you get my meaning?

Also for treats I used to whip up full fat double cream, have 3/4 raspberries and drizzle with 2 melted squares of dark chocolate (the 70% cocoa type ones). I could tolerate that as the full fat in the double cream would help keep sugar levels down (bonkers when you think of it). Another one if you have a sweet tooth is buy the no added sugar angel delight and Get some no added sugar jelly. Set some jelly in a trifle dish (or tumbler like I used for good portion control) put some of the angel delight on top and then some whipped double cream and you got up yourself a trifle type dish add some fruit if you can tolerate it!

Also instead of rice or pasta I used to make some of that cauliflower rice to act as my pasta.

Hope that helps.
F.

Treats info is really helpful! I need to have something to curb my cravings haha. Going to be interested to see what specific foods do to my levels.

Today I've had:
Weetabix with milk and some blueberries for breakfast
a piece of wholegrain toast with some philidelphia cheese, carrots and hummus for lunch
and for dinner I am having a bbq lol but am having the sausage without a bun and have bought a small wholegrain bun for my lean mince burger. And making a big salad to go with it.

Have also had no tea, no coffee, no squash just water all day. Going to have a small glass of alcohol free cider tonight though which I know is naughty but want something nice!

How is everyone else doing? Xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back