Full of cold, what can i take

Countrybumpkin

Reaction score
I new it was going to hit me at some point, life has been interesting shell we say. Hubby has had to have major back operation about 4 weeks ago, thankfully it looks like the operation was very sucessful so far, just a long road to recovery.

With looking after him, the worry of the op, then keeping him from doing to much (agricultural engineer) as we run our own business. Dogs, horses, general running of life ect things have, lets say, been very stressful all along side of being pregnant.

Well i have woken up this morning, full of a head cold, what can or can't i take, so i can breath easier. My asthma hasn't been great anyhow, and now full of head cold, i really feel rubbish today and feeling a little sorry for myself. I new at some point the last month was going to catch up with me.

Any advice would be great.

Hi Countrybumpkin, I have also woke up with a cold and sore throat today. Had trouble sleeping last night because of it. I've had to turn the brightness on my computer down at work as it's making my eyes and head hurt. I'm not sure what I can take for it either, but I've heard no more than one paracetamol a day - is that right?

Just want to go back to bed.

maybe try the old fashioned steam type thing with honey? i have been bunged up for a couple of days now but not actually feeling ill. i just have a mug of boiling water and breathe it in. ive had to up my steroid inhaler to 3 puffs 2x a day, try that bumpkin? x

ive had a mild cold on and off for months, but last 2-3 days its been awful, and yesterday I couldnt even get the energy to get out of bed! So I gave up last night, and took two lemsip tabs. Feeling better this morning, but still definately got the damn thing.

Paracetamol, My family nurse said the normal dosage is fine just dont go over it.

Yep - you can take paracetomol.

There are alot of colds about - hope you feel better soon!

I always find that hot water with fresh lemon and honey helps me loads! Also put a bowl of steaming water and a blob of vicks, in your room at night it helps with the breathing and keeping the air moist so its easier to breath

I phoned the mw at the hosp and they said it was ok to take Lemsip - just be careful not to take it with any other medicine with paracetamol in it. I only took one at bedtime for one night only and don't seem to have any obvious ill effects. (Although I think they said it was only ok as I was more than a certain no of weeks - 17 or 18). Phone the mw and ask if you are really suffering

Hope you (and your hubby!) are better soon x

Lemsip has ibruprofen in it.. not paracetamol..

Lemsip has ibruprofen in it.. not paracetamol..

The Lemsip I took was "1000mg Paracetamol, 12.2mg Phenylephrine hydrochloride" - that was the Max Strength stuff you drink.

Lemsip do have lots of products maybe some do contain Ibuprofen - which I understand is risky pregnancy and can cause mc in early preg

As it says on the label "Always read the label"!!!! (Sorry that was a poor jk but I have pregnant brain and found this funny!)

Last edited:
I have never seen a lemsip that has Ibuprofen in it they are always paracetamol!

Wow ok where am i gettting lemsip from then lol mine says very clearly ibruprofen

Lemsip Max All Night Cold & Flu Tablets contain ibuprofen.

Lemsip Cold & Flu and Lemsip Max Cold and Flu (sachets to make hot drink) contain paracetamol.

Hope that helps

I have the lemsip cold and flu sachets and they don't have ibuprofen in them. I did phone mw to check if I could take them and she said just make sure not to exceed the dosage and don't take any other paracetamol products x

Hope you feel better soon! I've picked up a cold and it's knocked me sideways!

Thanks purpleisa ! I thought they were all ibruprofen cause the tablets is all ive ever had! Will look for the sachets.. what does it taste like??

yeah paracetamol OR lemsip not both or you would be taking double the amount of paracetamol, you can get lots of different kinds of Lemsips, there is winter berry or lemon and also the new one with Eucolyptus which is great for head colds xx

Momma Cat - I prefer the blackcurrant ones but the lemon are not too bad - I always put sugar or honey in to sweeten them up a bit - makes them nicer. I think they work better and faster then the tabs too - drink as hot as you can for the best effect.

I put a wee bit whiskey (which I otherwise hate but withthe honey and Lemsip its ok) in them too when not pregnant - makes for a good nights sleep!!

yeah the hotter the better and I also add a bit of sugar, but I have now made my own you know the soluble paracetamol you get well I have them with any sort of diluting juice i have in the house and it works too???? xx

yeah the hotter the better and I also add a bit of sugar, but I have now made my own you know the soluble paracetamol you get well I have them with any sort of diluting juice i have in the house and it works too???? xx

Just had to make hot blackcurrant cause you said that Lol

theres nothing better though than a good hot drink I love the winter nights all snug on the couch with some munchies and a hot drink I like hot lucozade xx

I love mulled wine when not pg! Roll on Christmas and mulled wine nights snuggled on couch x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back