Formula question

berit87

Reaction score
I have a formula question :) I mainly breastfeed but give 1-2 bottles at night time as it keeps him more settled and my boobs seem to be empty by the end of the evening after the day of demand feeding. Anyway. So far been using ready made formula and heated it up with a bottle warmer. However I've had to change his formula now to a powder one. Obviously on the box it says boil the water, leave for 30 minutes, then mix powder in and cool. To be honest, at night when he wakes up screaming with hunger there is no time to boil and wait half an hour and then even longer to cool. How do you make the bottles?! I remember I used to mix hot and cold boiled water to get it to an ok-ish temperature, mixed the powder and cooled if necessary. I can't remember when I started doing it though. What do you think?xx

I fill all the bottles with boiling water once they are sterlised and then put the lids on ready for the formula to be added as and when I need them. We also do use the microwave to heat them up, about 20 seconds or so and make sure they get a good shake for another minute or so to make sure there are no hot spots. I'm sure the manufacturers and everyone would be horrified but it works for us!

We make 6 bottles up at a time! Boil the water, leave to cool for 30mins, steralise bottles, add water and powder together then put in the fridge! I'm also like megsmedow, heat them in microwave! Just make sure you give them a good shake

Even though it says you shouldn't leave the formula that's been made for longer than an hour? And it shouldn't be re heated? I remember I made them ready with Brandon but can't remember whether it was when he was that young? So you think it'll be alright if I put already boiled cooled water in bottles then just add the right amount of hot water and then mix it with powder?x

I think your only meant to have 1 made up at a time but I don't wanna be doing a bottle with a hungry baby. The way I do it is the way I did for Lacey and she's always been fine but I know everythings changed since she was a baby. I might have a word with mw on Monday when I see her!

We used to sterilise the bottles and pop boiled water in them ready for use. Then we would add and extra ounce of boiled water when needed, add the formula, shake and ready to use.
For example, 2 ounces cooled boiled water plus one ounce freshly hot boiled water plus 3oz formula.....temperature was usually perfect without having to mess about with heating up or cooling down bottles

i make up all my bottles in the morning pop in fridge theneach time on is used i take next one out ready so it room temp i dont heat bots tho as it just makes more work in the night and i cant be arsed with that although it says dont make them in one go i did with dd and all ok with daisy too and mw said it just another example of over caution as people made bottles this way for yrs with no probs

We made them all up and put them in the fridge to start with but now Ross has moved onto the big bottles we have no space left in the fridge! Hence just using boiled water then adding powder later. We use the little powder dispensers so it's measured out and ready to use. We tend to heat them as it's better for his colic!

Oh and I think the general guide is formula that is made up has a fridge life of 24 hours, 2 hours if baby has already started feeding from it.

I've been doing them as he needs them but after reading that some people are still doing it the old fashioned way ( I pre made the bottles and fridged them with my other two with no probs) I'm going to start doing the same! It's gotta help with those middle of the night feeds!

I've been doing them as he needs them but after reading that some people are still doing it the old fashioned way ( I pre made the bottles and fridged them with my other two with no probs) I'm going to start doing the same! It's gotta help with those middle of the night feeds!

i did the exacct same was making them up as i went along. got fed up of hearing for finley crying waiting for it 2 cool. so did it the old way. i 1 bottle up then make the next bottle 2. i never make a full days feed up just 2 at a time

i did the exacct same was making them up as i went along. got fed up of hearing for finley crying waiting for it 2 cool. so did it the old way. i 1 bottle up then make the next bottle 2. i never make a full days feed up just 2 at a time

Yeah I might do that too. I can only sterilise 4 bottles at a time anyways. How do you heat them up then? Microwave or jug of hot water?

I'm so glad you say you make loads at a time! I thought everyone was gonna have ago at me!! :(

Reading the instructions on powdered milk about leaving the water to cool for half an hour put me off using it and we just used ready made milk for the first week. But my Grandma bought us 3 tubs of the powdered milk without realising that wasn't what we used so, after asking my Mum for advice, we now make up 6 bottles at a time, seal them and put them in the fridge and just warm them up when we need them. Probably not the right way to do it, but LO is fine and happy and first sign of anything a miss then I will change how we do it

I used to use the powdered forumla tubs with three sections, and just have cooled boiled water bottles ready by the bed. used to tip the premeasured powder in and then shake and feed, like serentity, I didn't heat it up and my babie s got used to this as normal, so much easier, never ever needed to get outta bed unless I also needed a pee in the night, and also in the day no cool bags or warners needed when out.

hopeing to breastfeed , but that's my backup plan again

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back