Finally... there may be some light! - BLOOD TESTS UPDATE

xxsammyxx

Reaction score
Well after TTC for over a year now we finally decided to go and get some checks done. With the Spanish social security system here we knew we were in for a long wait (since once it took them 3 weeks for a PT to come back!) So... 2 weeks ago we booked into a private fertility clinic and today was our first appointment (consultation) I expected a brief chat, questions and then the BILL but it was quite good. Nothing much i didnt already know but this is how my checks are going to be planned out. Today OH had his sperm test, next week we will go back on the 2nd day of my AF (in 4-5 days) and I will have hormone tests and an ultrasound and OH will have his results from his test. Doc has written to my normal doctor to ask him to perform blood tests for us both and an up to date smear as well for me (this will save the cost of paying for them privately as they will be free from my GP) Also I have been prescribed the drug "Yasmin" to regulate my periods to the exact day. Personally i thought they were already regular at 29 days (i was late last month 5 days though!) but he said this will relax my ovaries and prepare for everything and also they will know when to do certain tests as the tablets are really reliable (though not cheap!). So, we have to call them on the 1st day of my AF and they will book me in for the ultrasound for the 2nd or 3rd day. I'm relieved we are finally going to find out whats going on but scared there is something wrong since my mum had a cyst on one of her ovaries and had to have it removed. Im going to be a wreck when it comes to going back... :cry:

Thanks very much girls its nice to have your support. I'm very worried...

Good luck with all the tests, and let us know how you get on at your next visit x

Good luck with all tests. Think positive, finally things are moving forward a bit :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thank you very much everyone... I know it sounds negative but i sort of have a feeling that there is something wrong! I dont know whether its because my mum had trouble trying to conceive another child after me (she never did in the end) or whether its because they found a cyst on one of her ovaries and she had to have half of it removed. I know science has progressed a lot since then but im really dreading that ultrasound being switched on! Does anyone know if they insert anything "up" you while they do the US or is it just the same as haveing a scan when your pregnant. God i hate pain... :(

I just dont believe it! First of all when i went for my fertility clinic apt the doctor said that because I was only on CD25 I could not have my ultrasound (needs to be done on the second to the third day of my period) and i need to book when period arrives. They gave me the prescription for Yasmin to regulate my periods in order to do tests to the exact day. I was confused as I know the pill is obviously a contraceptive! I asked the nurse in reception (who is dealing with my case also) when i am supposed to take the first pill and she said "you can take them now" so I asked "i can take them now? But i dont understand as we are TTC but taking the pill????! so i can take them from like today?" she said yes. Confused i said so i can go and get them now and take them today? She said yes. So i got them as started taking them yesterday and one tonight. HOWEVER i was under the impression the doctor himself actually said to have the ultrasound and THEN start taking them which makes sense since I would have had my period by then. I noticed some spotting a minute ago like I was about to come on tomorrow (which would be CD28) She said the pill was mild and only to regulate my periods and not to worry as they know what they are doing. BUT i dont think they do as I think she was under the impression that i had already had the ultrasound that day since you usually have this on your first appointment (except i was too early!) I dont know now whether i have messed it all up (or rather they have!) Do you think 2 pills will prevent my period from coming now? Sorry for the long post, im getting anxious and confused and worried. The doctor should have informed her that I had not had my U/S. :(

Im sorry I cant help much with the medical matter, but just wanted to give you a big :hug:

I know what its like living in a different country, where they have different ideas from UK doctors, but am sure they know what they are doing especially if you are paying to go privately.

Just hoping your Spanish is better than my French :D

Lots and lots of luck!! Hope you get back very positive results!!

Thanks elliebelle... to top it all I had an appointment to make "another" appoinment for my bloods and smear today at 9.25am this morning and due to the fact that i was up until 4am "stressing" about the whole "pill" scenario, I forgot and missed my appointment! I cant see any logic on why you have to make an apt to see the doc who then has to make an apt to have a blood test? :wall: Well thats the spanish dorks for you and the reason why we are paying to go private because if it was through the social security system I would be having MENOPAUSE before they get round to doing any tests!!! Seriously... :evil:

Hi Sammy,

I didn't want to say anything at first but I thought it very odd that they put you on Yasmin. For one, you're not irregular, and two there are hormonal alternatives to the contraceptive pill. I am on progyluton which does the same thing as the pill but is not a contraceptive. Mind you, my cycles were 49 to 55 days long.

TBH, and sorry to say this, but I don't think that they NECESSARILY know what they are doing. They very well may, but they could also be incompetent. I am absolutely positive, after my experiences here in Colombia, that the Colombian private medical service is completely incompetent and have no idea what they are doing. So everything that I get done I research myself.

Regarding the ultrasound, all they ones I have had have been vaginal.

Good Luck and PM me if you want to talk about it.

xx

Sookie - thanks for the advice. The doc asked if i was regular at my apt and I said "yes" my periods are always 29 days, ok a couple have been 5 days late like last month but this is not normal and i think has more to do with the fact that my periods seem to be shortening. OH called the clinic today and they said "dont worry its ok its only a very mild pill to regulate your periods you will still bleed the same" ONLY MILD? Well i have researched this on the net and its 99%. Thats not mild if its going to prevent you from having kids and is 99% accurate! I am now not spotting anymore which i presume means the pill has kicked in :evil: Why didnt they just leave me to come on to my period naturally, i didnt need to take any medication for that! Sometimes i just feel like iving in and accepting defeat. :cry:

Don't give up Sammy :hug: :hug: :hug:

I can really empathise with you. I am dealing with Colombian incompetence and ignorance on a daily basis. My advice would be to maybe try another clinic, or if that's not an option, to tell them what you want. I really don't see why you would need a regulating hormone if your periods are within 26 - 35 days. But if they are insistent, you could find out about Progyluton. I clearly ovulate on it as shown by my FF charts. It has the same hormones - estradiol and progesterone - but without the contraceptive dynamic. Is is definitely a contraceptive what they gave you? I know of Yasmin and so assumed it was, but I suppose it's possible there is a Hormone replacement version of it???

I really hope that you get it sorted out soon :hug:

Hi... i think its the contraceptive pill. I looked on the net last night and it apeared the same. It has Drospirenona 3 mg, Etinilestradiol 0,03 mg, Almidon (these may be in the spanish language though) They told me it was a very mild pill just to regulate my periods so im unsure. They said it was to relax my ovaries??? I should have known not to reply on the spanish for anything! However, we have paid for the U/S im having in a few days and the sperm tests so we might as well proceed for the time being. :?

The Etinilestradiol would be estradiol, the others I don't know. I imagine that it is a contraceptive. If I were you I would just not take it.

You could chart so that you know exactly when you Ov and that will hepl you with defining cycle days past Ov.

I'm sure that as long as you're on top of them, and tell them what you want, tit will be ok. I've been dealing with Iberia as I'm flying to Spain next month, and they have proven to be just as incompetent as the Colombians. An impressive feat to say the least.

Good luck with it all sweetie. I've learnt a bit of Spanish gyno lingo over the last few months if there's anything you want help with I could be of service :rotfl:

Thanks everyone... yes sookie agreed the spanish are cr*p as well. They have told me to carry on taking them and that i will have my period. im not happy about doing this but i will and if it doesnt arrive im going to de-bag that god damn doctor! Ill let you know how i get on with everything as i would imagine i have my apt early week when i get AF. :hug:

Well... after the clinic told us to carry on taking the pill yesterday we had a call this morning to say "no dont take it anymore!" Im going to go mad if this clinic messes me around anymore times. Do they not understand how the contraceptive pill works? Im fuming. Also they called with OH's sperm test results and its not good news. They said he has medium strength sperm and not very strong motility and that we wont be able to conceive naturally. We have not got the full results i.e. how many million because i asked on the phone and they said its not all down to how many million it is. They have said that they will talk to us more when we go in next week but have not even said whether he can increase the strength or motility and said they will talk to us about ICSI (i think thats what she called it) Does anyone know what this is? I can just imagine further blows after i have my ultrasound. It seems so unfair since OH is fit, goes down the gym 4 -5 times a weeks, plays football... however he des smoke a packet a day and this may not be helping. Its not his fault though and im sure he will d everything he can in future to help things work out :(

Sammy, hold on and don't panic.

They shouldn't be talking about ICSI (which is a form of assisted reproduction where they wash the sperm and insert it into you so that you have a better chance of conception - I think :think: Please correct me if I'm wrong) yet. You need 3 tests to confirm the results. And he might be able to improve the mobility etc. You just don't know without seeing the results. Anyway, I think they are jumping the gun.

Can you get a second test done somewhere else? I'm not sure about this clinic after all the palava you've had already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back