Day 21 Blood tests

flopsybunny

Reaction score
Hiya,

I'm sure someone put a thread like this up a while ago, but I will post this anyway.

I am in my 11th cycle TTC and have a 33 day (roughly, really between 28-35 days) and so far have had no real luck with getting a :bfp:. The OH has had his tests done and all is ok with him. So, after pestering my doctor after every period for the last couple of months, he has put me in for blood tests on CD21 of the next 3 cycles. What I want to know is what they are looking for and what these tests might show. I have already had my preconception bloods done and they came back ok.

Thanks

xx

I haven't been through any tests but i believe that they will mainly test for progesterone.

When we ovulate, the what remains of the follicle after the egg is released is where the progesterone comes from to prepare the uterus lining for implantation.

If by CD21, you progesterone levels aren't very high then it implies that you did not ovulate.

This is based on you ovulating on CD14 so if you ovulate on a different CD, you might want to mention it to your doctor.

When is your first test scheduled?

Last edited:
Apart from the preconception blood tests, yes. I just want to know if I am normal and healthy...

xx

Oh you've already had your progesterone checked?

That's all i was aware of being tested on CD21 :oooo:

Have you tried taking baby aspirin? Just one of those things that seems to have helped women that have not been conceiving without cause - i'm trying it this cycle, but if you are in touch with your GP then maybe he can offer advice. GPs tend to prescribe in conjuction with other blood thinners... just a thought :)

I'm sure you'll be fine, and if not they'll have something to fix it! It's good they're testing you finally ;)

LOL I think my GP is fed up of the sight of me! :) I have no patience. There just seems no logical reason why we aren't catching if I am healthy that is.

This forum is great for venting. I don't know about your OH, but my OH doesn't like to listen to me whinge, rant and rave let alone field all the questions that I have that I KNOW he doesn't have the answer to but still ask anyway. :)

xx

And the preconception bloods checked for red blood call count, rubella and....oh....I can't remember the other....:wall2:

xx

I remember! Thyroid problems. LOL I need to start remembering things better.

xx

My OH is really sympathetic...

He has taken to calling me the Baroness lol

I've started calling him a Jaffa Cake (apparently a "Jaffa" is shooting blanks but i'd never heard it before so maybe i was tricked :roll:).

I'm a logical thinker too - can't get my head around supposed to be a healthy compatible couple who hump until they both start to glow in the dark but still not conceiving :wall2:

I'm going to go to London for a private ultrasound if i don't catch this month.

Last edited:
How long have you been TTC for? I can see your ticker says 2 months, is that right? 2 months isn't really that long, we are in our 11th cycle, which is still normal apparently. It doesn't feel like a normal span of time.

xx

Yeh, I'm only on my third cycle now of ttc, but I've been ntnp (not trying not preventing) for 4 years with my husband and ntnp for about 2 years with my ex who I was engaged to.

I figured I was just thorough at cleaning myself all that time but it's playing on my mind a lot now I'm ttc :/

Medically speaking you would still be considered normal until 24 month...

i had my 21 day blood test not last friday the one before, my useless doctor hasn't looked at the results so all of last week i kept calling with no result! hopefully i will get it tomorrow. my doctor said they would check that i am ovulating and this was how they were going to do it. i have pcos and asked a new doctor as i had a feeling she would agree xx

Is it just to check you are ovulating? I have had positive OPKs, so would they still be positive if I wasn't actually releasing an egg? I am confused and starting to get concerned now.

xx

well the reason i asked was because i am getting positive OPK'S too but on the pack it says if you have PCOS you cant trust them. i think they are right but just thought i would get her to check. i pay for the clearblue one every month which is £20 so i didn't want to keep buying them if i cna't trust them. xx

Did you have to be tested for PCOS?

What symptoms do you have with it? If you don't mind me asking?

xx

this may sound weird but when i was 14 i just had a feeling i had it!! I had an early period and it was all mixed up and heavy so i mentioned it to my doctore, i went through puberty from a very young age. so he agreed and i had a scan at 14 years old and it came back positive for PCOS. i had bad spots too so was put on dianette (the pill) from a young age. i had a miscarriage a while ago and when they done a scan for that they said it is very mild pcos (?). nowdays i have a 30/31 day period without fail and the ov tests always come up positive on day 14 ish so i think im ok but thought i would get the doctor to check rather than spend months trying if im not ovulating which is a sign of pcos. xxx

just thought i would update you, FINALLY have my result back and everything is normal so i presume this means i am ovulating. the lady on the phone just said 'yep everything says normal' so from that i am guessing that the level of proestrogen suggests i am ovulating - really not sure so i have asked to ask the doctor for a print off of the results (that way i can google it and make myself worried sick when some strange result appears compliments of the world wide web lol!) i have read of other women having these tests 3 months in a row but my doctor didnt mention this. if i get the results printed off i am going to take them to the family planning clinic for further advice.

xxx

My doctor is sending me for the 3 months in a row.

I'm glad everything was ok for you! :)

xx

as i said i got them printed off and guess what..they dont seem normal to me!! the result is 29nmol/l (dont know what that means but i gather it shouldn't be below 30?? i am booking another doctor appt soon to ask about it and also ask for the test again and the month after. xx

Where did you find that it shouldn't be less than 30?

I think it is good to have the 3 tests to be honest, at least then if they say I'm ok at the end I will know they will have been able to see over a span of time and work out an average.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back