Finally... there may be some light! - BLOOD TESTS UPDATE

Hi Sammy, i had ICSI many years ago to have my son, It is where the sperm is injected into the egg left to multiply and then put back into you, it worked for me first time...i had this as my ex my sons dad had a low sperm count and poor mobility. xx

Sookie & Sara and anyone else interested! - i just dont know what to do! Im sitting here in floods of tears, pissed off that from the beginning of visiting this clinic they have not exactly IMPRESSED me. I mean i have not even been for my ultrasound and already they are talking about ICSI and all that which seems the next worse thing to IVF. I dont know what to think or do and what if my eggs are not good? Then what? Is the show over? We are going to get a second opinion on the sperm test, not because we are in denial but it just seems this clinic was talking about IVF and ICSI after 5 mins of the consultation before any of us had any tests. I thought this would happen to us... just goes to show you can be TTC'ing away and not know that there is no chance of ever conceiving naturally... :cry:

Sammy :hug: dont worry yet hun, Im sure your eggs will be fine as you said your cycles are pretty much regular, you ovulate anyway so thats great news. There are so many things they can do these days to help you conceive and Im sure you will do absolutely anything in your power to get your much deserved baby. Dont give up hope hun, i think this ICSI sounds great. I know it may take longer than you had hoped, but it WILL happen for you :hug:

Thanks loola and everyone else... well at least if my eggs are ok then i suppose the whole process will be fairly quick? I dont know exactly how long. Sara can you help me on this please? Does it hurt? What is the procedure? I am still in shock i was not expecting this but we have to deal with it and try and be strong though i feel like the bottom of my world is falling out right now. Im trying to stay positive but its hard because i cant see anything to be positive for right now. Sorry if i sound pathetic and desparate, it was just a really horrible shock thats all. :(

I know hun, i totally understand what a shock it must have been for you and how not knowing what the future holds is very frustrating.

I agree with Sookie firstly that you should get a second opinion before jumping into anything, and your OH should definitely have a few more tests first. Im sure his sperm count could be improved if he gave up smoking or cut down at least. Remember it takes up to 3 months for new sperm to be produced so it will take a while for the results to be seen.

Hopefully if it does come to any sort of assisted conception it will be a while off yet and it would all be explained in depth to you.

I know this may sound silly but I really feel that the same thing is going to happen to me and my OH once we have our tests, I dont think he is going to have a good sperm count, so I may be in the same boat as you soon. Im always here if you need a chat about anything. :hug:

Hi Sammy, It was 9 years ago i had ICSI so things might have changed slightly, it starts the same as IVF i had to give myself injections daily for 2 weeks of a hormone to stimulate your ovaries into producing more eggs, i went for regular blood tests and scans, when it comes to removing your eggs they do this by a long needle you will be given painkillers or sedation, at this point they will also require sperm from your partner which they then wash and inject in to the eggs, they leave them a few days to multiply and they then choose the best embryos to but back, which they do via a long thin tube. They put 2 embryos back in to me but only 1 stayed. Its not a pleasant procedure but its well worth trying, I hope this answers some of your questions. :hug: :hug:

Thanks girls. OH is going to give up smoking, well this was no option after today really... Sara first of all congrats on your pregnancy, you deserve a break this time! We will have to see what happens next week but i agree a second test needs to be done at some stage. I have learnt a lot tonight just from you girls and its nice to have the support and knowledge of others in a matter where i am new and a little uneducated in this matter. I suppose by the end of it all i will be an expert like you lot and know everything about the whole process though if it was through choice i wish i didnt have to experience or learn about it but thats life i guess. God does it really take 3 months for the sperm to improve, what a nightmare jesus... :wall:

Hi again Sammy,

I really think that you should try hard not to panic yet about the sperm analysis results. Many things can affect those results. And a diagnosis is not actually considered conclusive until 3 tests have been done.

My DH had an analysis done and had a total count of only 8 million sperm. That was 4 million per mL, and is considered infertile. When he went back for the retest 3 months later, he had 80 million total. The motility and morphology had actually worsened a little, but it was not terrible, and the count was good.

Illness, stress, wearing tight underwear, hot tubs, cycling and when he last ejaculated can all affect the count. He needed to have been between 3 and 5 days since his last ejaculation to do the test effectively. In other words no more than 5 days ago, no less than 3. Was that the case?

I know how hard it is. I felt the same when we got the first results. And 3 months seems so long (which it is), but without more tests and a ull explanation of the situation you shouldn't start worrying too much yet. :hug: :hug: :hug:

Hi there... well funny you should say that Sookie as we were asked when we last had sex and we told them that we had sex at aprox 2am that morning! Now we didnt know we were having ANY tests as this was our first appointment and it was only the consulatation. We were told that if i had of booked my apt on the 2nd day of AF then I would have had the US then as well! :shock: Why didnt the receptionist ask this question and book me in then? Why didnt they inform us OH had to perform a Sperm test that day and not to have sex for 3 days? Why dont they know how something as simple as the pill work? They have caused OH and myself a lot of upset, worry and arguments that I think may have been uneccesary. OH blames himself. I dont blame anyone. OK he could have stopped smoking but there are a million people out there that do the same and conceive without problems. We are just unlucky and he has now given up. Ive tried to explain to him that its not his fault and I dont blame him but he feels awful, worthless and like hes let me down. This makes me sad :cry: It was good to hear your results on the sperm test and gives us some hope. I hope some other girls tell us some of their stories so we can see how often the results can change. :hug:

Sammy hun I was on Yasmin from after having Jordan till last January and it IS a conraceptive pill. I just don't get why on earth they have givdn you a contraceptive whille your TTC :shock: I don't see how it's a mild pill I never got PG while on it.

They seem to be totally incompitent hun, no wonder your confused and upset. Like the others have said, your cycles are regular so you must be ovulating. And as for the sperm test, no wonder they were meduim strength, they hadn't had time to mature before the test.

I really don't know what else to say so I'll give you some hugs

:hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

xxsammyxx said:
Why didnt the receptionist ask this question and book me in then? Why didnt they inform us OH had to perform a Sperm test that day and not to have sex for 3 days? Why dont they know how something as simple as the pill work?

Because they are incompetent. I have had similar experiences here. I go in for tests, they tell me I have to have fasted all day. DH goes in for his first sperm analysis, and he hasn't ejaculated for more than 5 days. He has to turn around again and leave (and mind you he had to do the deed in a bathroom nearby the clinic because they don't do it there, and then transport it there within half an hour). My experience here has been that no one thinks things through properly.

I would be extremely wary of a clinic that is talking about ICSI on the basis of one sperm analysis that was taken at the absolutely wrong time. It sounds like they are out to make money.

I'm so sorry Sammy that you're going through this. It's horrible. Can you look into this clinics credentials or past successes? Or even their licenses? They could be completely corrupt.

You should PM a girl on this forum called Mildly. Her DH had very poor motility and she got pregnant naturally.

:hug: :hug: :hug:

Do you know what... you girls have been so helpful to us over the last few days. OH is absolutely gutted. Ive never seen him so sad adn sorry and it makes me upset to see him like this. I read your comments this morning and i agree fully! From the minute we set foot in the door for the consultation they said they have a very high success rate. OK fair enough, thats good. Within 5 mins they were talking about what to do with low sperm results and IVF, ICSI and IUI. I thought "hang on what if everything is ok, are they not considering that?" They never informed us that they would be taking any tests (i wonder if that was intentional?) and took OH's sperm test just 10 hours after we had intercourse. You are all correct in saying that you should wait at least 2 if not 3 days to take the test as I have researched this today after i read your comments. It would not be possible for the sperm to replenish after such a short time, we had intercourse at 2am and he was tested at 11.45am. As for putting me on a "very light pill ONLY to regulate my ALREADY regular periods" this is just a joke. When i questioned them they said that not to worry they know what they are doing. Its a fully concentrated pill, not mild at all. Its 99% effective!!! How the hell am i supposed to get pregnant on the pill? Perhaps this is the general idea... if i dont get pregnant then i will have to pay them loads of money for ICSI, IVF etc and they make loads of cash! Why didnt they tell us after the results or before they took them that if we stop OH smoking, cut down on coffee for 3 months, take some zinc and vitamins that things may improve and so provide a better result. Why, when we had the results did they not say that we can improve them and not to worry. Instead they said, "well when you next come back we will talk about ICSI". I think this clinic are gold digging, dont know what the hell they are doing (or rather they know exactly what they are doing and are hatching a cash related plan) If they could only realise the pain and upset they have caused then maybe they would understand what its like when your hopes and dreams are battered into the floor by duff results. Thank you so much to everyone for your support. Unfortunately as i have already paid i have to go back to the clinic for my tests which of course will all be the worst case scenario according to them. Im going to tell them before i have the tests that we are going for a second opinion and if another clinic disagrees with their results then the sh*t is going to hit the fan. I regret the day I ever had dealings with this clinic. :(

I'm sorry your having to got hrough this hun. Like I said Yasmin was my contraceptive pill for years and not so much as a snifter that I could be PG. I think maybe your right about them money making :x

If I were you I wouldn't take the pills at all, how are you meant to get PG on the pill?

PM hun if you need to talk :hug: :hug: :hug:

Thanks Skairdy I will... im sure there will be fun and games on my next visit but i am printing off from websites the info about the sperm tests so they dont have a leg to stand on basically. But we know that anyway! :roll: We are trying to get back to normal after such an awful blow and im sure we will with each others support. I feel they have caused us uneccessary pain and worry and they wont get away with that when I next see them.... I'm not going to take this pill no matter what, its a bad idea. Im off out now so have a good night everyone and ill be back on tomorrow sometime. Thanks all. :hug:

Hi Skairdy, yes we did have a good night out but i had to leave the bar in the early hours of the morning because I had awful period pains (which i still have!) I stopped taking the pill a couple of days ago so i suppose i am about due for AF tomorrow and the pain is terrible. I dont normally get any, maybe an uncomfortable twinge, its because of that damn pill... the idiots. Im getting madder and madder with them for all of this. :evil:

Hi Sammy,

Just wanted to say hi and wish you luck on your next visit. You tell them sister!

Hope the AF cramps ease up. xx

Hi all... the cramps were awful and now AF has arrived and its all thick and brown! (sorry if tmi) Normally AF is clean red but not this time thanks to them. I still feel uncomfortable in my stomach. I have called for an appointment for tomorrow and they are going to call me back with a time later today. I wonder what a crock of sh*t they are going to feed me tomorrow? :roll:

Hi all. Well we went to the "clinic from hell" this afternoon for the sperm test results and for my ultrasound. They apologised prefusely for their incompetance (and so they should) I tore some strips off them verbally also...! They could not take the hormone blood test since they wrongly told me to take Yasmin and now it will be in my blood but they could do the ultrasound. He said everything looked great, no cysts, holes, my uterus was a good healthy shape. One ovary was REALLY active and had 9 strong healthy follicles (i think he said follicles!) and the blood activety was strong. My tubes are clear and healthy. The other ovary was not quite as strong as it is situated just a bit below where it should be BUT its got 4 - 5 follicles and they are all working fine and it would be perfectly fine to conceive through this one also. I have my bloods tesst on May 20th and my hormone test when we go back in 4 weeks (OH will have another sperm test then and also a hormone test) I have to book my smear test in between. We are hoping that by OH stopping smoking, taking zinc, vitamins etc that his sperm test will strengthen (doc said it might just have dropped when he tested and be a bit up and down, we are not sure yet) After the next apt he will give us some high strength prescription vitamins he can take also. We are relieved because he has a low sperm count at present (hes been through loads of stress bless him) and if there were problems with both of us then it would be a right NO-GO. Things are moving quite quickly by going private (it would take the spanish social security system about 12 months to even get us an apt so we had no choice!!!) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back