different/not popular name for a girl

it sounds like stephanie shortened.
personally i think its a silly name, sorry x
think of the bairn, thats who'll have to live with it :lol:

go for it if ya like it hun, personally i think its a lovely name :D

*Rainbow* said:
Isnt Effie the name of a char in skins? I dont know.. theres something about it which makes me really like it

x x

yip it is and I love it... such a lovely name!!

skins???? whats that ? OH seems dead certian on it but im half and half :think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

HollyHobby said:

Was there any need? :think:

I personally think its a lovely name. Such a cute name :D

LilysMummy said:
HollyHobby said:

thanks hun !!! :hug: :hug: :hug: i dont think there was any need for such a "to the point reply" but im glad u like it :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug: doppler is great by the way cant thank you enough :hug: :hug: :hug: :hug:

Lol tell me about it :lol:

Glad the doppler is doing well for you! I forgot I had it for most my pregnancy :doh: :rotfl:

LilysMummy said:
HollyHobby said:

What? an opinion was asked, and my opinion is it's a silly name - it's not even a proper name and everyone i've asked agrees it sounds like F off.
Jeez, dont ask for opinions next time :roll:

I think what she meant was, you didn't have to be quite so derogatory

zebrastripes said:
I think what she meant was, you didn't have to be quite so derogatory

Thank you ZS.

I just meant if you dont like it dont call it silly just say "Not my favourite / Have you thought about...."

Choosing a name for a baby is such a hard desicion dont need silly little comments thrown into the mix :talkhand:

Something you also have to think about is that your child will have to grow up into an adult with the name you give them. It may seem 'cute' and make everyone go awwwwww now whilst they are a sweet little baby, but will it fit in with whatever career path she chooses in the future? Would Effie sound right as a barrister's first name? I'm all for unsual names (I have Meredith and Marcus for my first 2) but downright unsual can lead to a lifetime of misery for a child. On the other hand, choosing the 'popular' name of the day can lead to the same situation I was in at A level college, in a class of 15 students, 5 lads, 10 girls and 5 of us were called Sarah. My daughter started school and out of 12 girls in her class, 4 of them were called Chloe. There were 3 in the other reception class :shock:

I'm not just sitting hear preaching from an ivory tower here btw, my daughter's name has always been shortened to Merry, and she HATES this time of year cos the other kids take the mick :lol:

Its a differenet name and unusual can't say ive heard of many people called it but a lovely sounding one at that! :D Go with whatever you decide to do hun :) :hug:

M&Ms said:
Something you also have to think about is that your child will have to grow up into an adult with the name you give them. It may seem 'cute' and make everyone go awwwwww now whilst they are a sweet little baby, but will it fit in with whatever career path she chooses in the future? Would Effie sound right as a barrister's first name? I'm all for unsual names (I have Meredith and Marcus for my first 2) but downright unsual can lead to a lifetime of misery for a child. On the other hand, choosing the 'popular' name of the day can lead to the same situation I was in at A level college, in a class of 15 students, 5 lads, 10 girls and 5 of us were called Sarah. My daughter started school and out of 12 girls in her class, 4 of them were called Chloe. There were 3 in the other reception class :shock:

I'm not just sitting hear preaching from an ivory tower here btw, my daughter's name has always been shortened to Merry, and she HATES this time of year cos the other kids take the mick :lol:

Guess Willow's screwed if she ever wants to go into law :lol:

I'm sure in 25 years lots of to docs, lawyers etc will be Willows. There's quite a few of them about :)

True. Plus what's the difference between calling someone Willow, or calling them...Hazel? :lol:

Also.... obviously if something minor like one's name was to hold one back from success in a certain field...well I'd say the person in question wasn't cut out for it in the first place :lol:

zebrastripes said:
True. Plus what's the difference between calling someone Willow, or calling them...Hazel? :lol:

Also.... obviously if something minor like one's name was to hold one back from success in a certain field...well I'd say the person in question wasn't cut out for it in the first place :lol:

I am sure that there was something about how people percieve you with your name, and how it makes people think of you, so in that respect it could possibly affect career paths etc. Its why I didn't call Seren "Star" as it isn't really a name she could have a great career with in law or medicine lol, instead we chose Seren as it was less restrictive. Why not have a long name like Oephelia and then you can shorten it but she can also choose what to call herself as she gets older??

zebrastripes said:

I don't think its so much the person themselves as others perception of someones name. Common names that become much joked about or so common they become disliked or associated with say Essex girls etc can have a detrimental affect on how others perceive you. With or without meeting you. Same with really outlandish or odd sounding names.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
candigrams
Back