is this name too popular ???

keelybeck

Reaction score
Hi all

have already posted on here requesting opinions on Isabella May as a name and from the feedback i got and my own personal feeling decided that was ' the one' for potential daughter.

however just mentioned my suggested name of Isabella May to my midwife and she replied that Isabella was a very common name right now in my area (although planning to move away from current area in next few months anyway) ..... but i had specifically picked it over something like Sophie, Emily or Ella because it wasnt overly popular in all the baby name lists i have looked at - didnt appear to be in the top 20 at least ... so now on a bit of a downer over it as i really don't want her to be in a school full of other isabella's if it really is taking over as a top girls name.

what do you think, is it very popular right now... and should it really matter ?? !!

pls help !!!
:wall:

35 weeks & 6 days

ive not heard it much by me but then none of my friends have children yet so i guess i wouldnt be the best to ask as i dont have contact with babies/toddlers

Its well inside in the top 100. It was #19 in 2006 and 2007. Climbed up from 2005. As to 2008 so far who knows.

I doubt it will ever make the top 10 in the next few years but you never know.

I only know of one Isabella of school age but she is older. But people somewhere are calling their daughters this for it to be at #19 the past 2 years.

I got my stats from here, compiled by Government on names registered.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/specials/b ... _girls.asp

Bear in mind as well that there may also be Isabelle and Isabel as seperate entries on the lists, which are similar names but different entries, which disguises the actually popularity of the name.

I would have picked Isabelle if my son had been a girl last year, but if I was choosing a name now I don't think I would choose it again purely because it is so popular.

It's completely up to you of course, if you love the name go for it.

TBH we didnt realise how popular the name Jack was when DH picked it ,and i do hate that its sooo popular, but i still love the name. so its hard to say what to do, coz if u really love the name does it matter if theres a few others with the same name?

I think it is a really pretty name, but I have to agree that it is becoming popular.
I have a friend who has called her daughter isabella (she is 1 now) and I agree with what 'maybebaby' said about the name being spelt slightly differently so having a separate entry on the top 100 list. I read somewhere that if you totalled the ammount of babies up names with that can be spelt in lots of different ways the names would appear much higher in the list-eg lily, lilly, lillie, lilli, lilley etc

If you like it though i wouldn't let it being popular put you off. :D

I don't know any Isobellas... How about Isla or something similar if you're worried?

x

My friend had a little girl in Jan and she's called Isabella.

I think if you like it and you have a feeling for the name then go for it. We chose "Lucy" for similar reasons and there are 4 Lucy's in the nursery all are 2!!

When I had Tia... Tia wasn't a very popular name.. two years later EVERYONE was calling their daughters Tia...

I picked the name Serena for the mere fact that it wasn't at all popular... so I know how you feel about needing to have originality... but at the end of the day.... she will be your Isabella and in that fact be unique :hug: :hug: :hug:

names are popular for a reason- people like them! Kids will only shorten it when she goes to school anyway (Iz, Izzy, Bell, Bella...) so pick something you like and don't worry about other people. :hug:

I think its a beautiful name and if its popular its because its lovely :D You can't go wrong with the old fashioned classic names :wink:

I think it is a beautiful name and you shouldn't worry if it is popular. If you like it, you should go for it. All of our favourite boys names are in the top 10 and most of our fav girl names are in the top 20 or so. I suppose they're popular for a reason!!!

If you have got your heart set on Isabella May then use it even it is popular at the moment. I don't know any children called Isabella though and it's a lovely name :D

i wouldnt hav thought its that popular :think:

i kno what u mean tho, i found it very hard finding a name i liked that WASNT the same one as loads of other people were calling their baby girls! i found one, but the next hurdle is hoping there isnt some bell-end called melissa on big brother or something over the next 20 years who taints her name! :lol:

when isabella not a bella?

When its a door knocker

boom boom :lol:

im in your area and noone in my baby group is called that ! i do have a sophie and emily tho lol

Lovely name but i have two friends that have just had little girls and both are called Isabella so i think its definately the name of the year. My niece is called Sophie and i really like that too.

I really like the name Ella May. Infact i think Ella maybe on my shortlist if i have a girl.

Let us know what you decide!

Claire x

As a child I didn't know a single other person with my name. At university though I met loads of people with the same name and 2 of my good friends have the same name as me.

I am a teacher and I have only taught 3 children called Steven and they were all in the same class. Same with the name Jamie (2 boys and 1 girl in the same class). For those Jamies and Stevens it will have seemed like everyone had the same name - but if they were in a different class in the same year group it might not have.

Just because your midwife has seen a few mums recently thinking of the same name it doesn't mean you will ever meet them.

There's no way of knowing how many Isabellas your daughter will meet and know at any point in her life so choose the name that you want. And it's a beautiful name :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back