Dieting while Breast feeding?

Lindsay

Reaction score
Can anyone let me know to what extent can you diet when breast feeding?

I am trying to loose the weight that I put on while PG but am continually told that I shouldn't be dieting while I am breastfeeding so I haven't been dieting as strongly as I would normally but have been cutting out the rubbish and just eating 3 healthy meals a day. The weight isn't coming off as quickly as it would be if I was following slimming world diet. Do I just have to be patient and let the weight come off slowly?

Any help and advice would be appreciated!

Xxx

I really wouldn't advise dieting when breatsing, you must eat healthily as your body is using so much nutrients to produce the milk, I lost all my weight and some more when i was breastfeeding, you need the fat that you have buit up to produce the milk. If you diet you may find your milk dries up.

thanks hun, yeah I thought as much - I just want instant results!!! The weight is coming off but not as quickly as I would like - I suppose I shouldn't be so vain and should just concentrate on producing milk to look after my LO :wink:

thanks again...

Xxx

Yeh, unfortunatley we don't all turn out like the celebs who are back in their size 8 trousers a week after birth. :?

Hi Lindsay

I took the advice about not dieting whilst bfing a little to literally and actually put on more weight than I did during pregnancy :shock:

So, a couple of weeks ago I decided enough was enough and started a diet. I eat plenty on it but I make sure that what I'm eating is healthy and balanced so that I'm getting enough nutrients but not too many calories and fat.

Like you I have 3 meals a day, usually porridge, salad then an evening meal and I then have 3 pieces of fruit a day and a yoghurt inbetween my meals so it feels like I'm constantly eating!

I know that I'm not exercising enough so I need to work on that to aid my dieting efforts!

My SIL lost loads of weight just from bfing - it's not fair! :wink:

Lucy

I think this is where i went wrong. I wasnt dieting but had no appetite and kept forgetting to eat. Breastfeeding started making me feel really dizzy and i was seeing sports! I'll have to eat better and try and stick it out longer next time :wall:

Blimey Toriella, were you seeing football or tennis??? :shock: Cheaper than paying for Sky Sports.... ;)

I did Weight Watchers for a few weeks, you get to have an extra 10 points a day if you are breastfeeding. Though I stopped as I couldn't be bothered with it :) The weight does come off, I'm slightly less than I was pre preg and I put on nearly 4 stone. I hit a plateau at a point but have just started losing weight slowly again :)

I am eating porridge for breakfast, either a salad or ryvita and philly light for lunch and a main meal on the evening and the weight is coming off slowly. The way people have talked about bfeeding, I thought the weight was just going to drop off - but it isn't, typical really!! I shall just have to be patient. I don't think I have been doing enough exercise, now the weather is nice, I should be getting out more walking Jacob in the pram. The time I did go for a walk I got blisters from wearing my flip flops :shock:

Xxx

Walking will definately help, well it did me! The times I didn't do any exercise I didn't lose any weight, but it came off when I took Ella for some nice hilly walks :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back