Dieting while breastfeeding

Nicola

Reaction score
Has anyone breastfed and dieted at the same time? I'm starting to feel really low about my weight and can't wait to be able to do something about it. I know I can't go crazy as my body needs the calories etc to produce enough milk to feed LO type thing but would something like Slimfast be a bad idea - it's actually quite high in calories compaired to something like a bowl of cereal (must stop eating bread!!). I'll be doing lots of walking with LO in his pram just just wondered when I could start cutting calories and thinking diets etc, what ones would be good and although I'm not opposed to a diet like weight watchers or slimming world I don't want to do the weekly classes and pay a fiver per week for the privilidge of standing on someone else's scales - the WW class near me doesn't do the 'support' thing after the weight in! Any tips/advice?

tbh.. if you are gonna breast feed i dont think its wise to diet.. if u think the baby needs so many calories from you..and ur cutting back the 1st thing to be effected is your milk.. i wouldnt change ur diet - only if your havign curry o strong tasting things as that can effect the baby..instead do the lifestyle changes.. its nice to walk with the baby.. say from about 3 wks of age.. go for a 10-20 min walk everyday..

Think healthy rather than diet - base your diet around fresh fruit and veg, healthy dairy and lean meat and leave the "diets" till you've finsihed breastfeeding.

Definatly DON'T use slimfast - they don't give you anywhere near enough calories to breastfeed, they only contain nutrients etc not the calories you need.

libs said:
Think healthy rather than diet - base your diet around fresh fruit and veg, healthy dairy and lean meat and leave the "diets" till you've finsihed breastfeeding.

i totally agree - just up your intake of fruit and veg - loads of it - cut down on sugary, empty calories - you should NEVER feel starving or miss a meal - that will encourage your body to store fat - sensible, low fat food eg. chicken breast, fish, ham etc with salad, veg, fruit should help you lose the weight without compromising the quality of your milk :D

Nicola said:
Has anyone breastfed and dieted at the same time? I'm starting to feel really low about my weight and can't wait to be able to do something about it. I know I can't go crazy as my body needs the calories etc to produce enough milk to feed LO type thing but would something like Slimfast be a bad idea - it's actually quite high in calories compaired to something like a bowl of cereal (must stop eating bread!!). I'll be doing lots of walking with LO in his pram just just wondered when I could start cutting calories and thinking diets etc, what ones would be good and although I'm not opposed to a diet like weight watchers or slimming world I don't want to do the weekly classes and pay a fiver per week for the privilidge of standing on someone else's scales - the WW class near me doesn't do the 'support' thing after the weight in! Any tips/advice?

if you want to diet whilst brestfeeding you can do this quite safelt BUT make sure you join slimming world. They offer special diets for breastfeeding mummys and make sure you get extra calcium / vitamins etc.
Weight watchers is an unhealthy diet at the best of times but particularly when breastfeeding.

good luck!!!

Thanks for the advise ladies....I figured Slimfast might not be the way to go (especially since so many re-gain the weight once they return to 'solid' foods) will look into slimming world diets (didn't realise they done special diets) and will stick to fruits/veggies and chicken etc...must stop with the breads and sugars!! :)

I went on a diet after my first because I'd gained 30 kilos and hated it!
I didn't crash diet, but I ate WAY less than normal and only fat free food.
I also did lots and lots of walking after I'd recoverered from the birth.
I was lucky I had plenty of milk, because when I look back now what I did was fairly extreme, but I dropped the full 30 kilos inside sixteen weeks and felt great :cheer:

im not dieting, but i doubt very much i consume the recommended 3000 calories for breastfeeding- i dont have time! thered no problem with my milk supply tho. millie never empties one breast within 3 hours when its time to swap sides anyway and she was up to 9lb 14oz last friday.
vitamins and minerals are more important than calories i think

You will find that you will lose weight quite quickly initially if you breast feed anyway. I would suggest, eat sensibly, and see how it goes. Once your LO is 3months or somthing like that and if you are not happy with your progress, then start dieting but again by dieting I mean eat healthily. Saying that I can't really talk I am still a few pound over my pre-pregnancy weight. I really should to start to diet now.

I went with slimming world and found them great and am still attending their classes and it has kept the weight off and have a diet ready for me when i breastfeed.
The emphasis isnt on portion size, i have never gone hungry on it at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back