Did anyone just know they wanted an epidural?

Urchin

Reaction score
...before you even go into labour I mean?

I had one with Mason, after a long labour and had no time for one with Brody.

I think this time I'm just gonna walk in and say I want one. I know some people wanna try and do it without, I wanted to try with both of mine, but with Brody by the time I asked for one the anesthetist got delayed and I had to go without.

Did anyone else do this? Just know beforehand they wanted to ask for one?
How many cms do you have to be? I progressed really quickly with Brody, so could do with getting one in early :lol:

I didn't want one so can't help with that part.. i know quite few girls who did though.

When I got in though I was begging them for one, the told me I had to be at least 5cms dilated and then I could have one.

I didn't get one in end mind, little bugger decided he wanted out and wanted out quickly! :roll:

Sorry hun I can't help I didn't want one but ended up having a mobile one. I managed to get to 7cm before having one xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I put on my birth plan that I would see when I was in labour if I wanted one or not. When I got to 3 cm they let me have one. They didnt want to so soon but I insisted because my tummy was going square and hard and my contractions were so close together. It didnt work though all over my tummy so I was still in some pain and it made me shake quite violently at first but they fiddled with it and I was fine.

I'd say tell them you want one in your birth plan then see how the labour goes. You don't have to have it if you don't feel you need it.

:D

I didn't want one with Aimee and Nathan before labour started. I had one with Jess and wanted to try without. Once I hit about 7cms with both I was begging for one. They tried to give me one at 9cm with Aimee but I was too out of it to keep still. With Nathan they were very reluctant to give me one. They just kept saying 'oh its your 3rd you'll be done in no time'. I did beg though! I agreed in the end that if I was far enough along I would try without and I was 8cm so I did it without one. There wouldn't of been time anyway.

Ooo Me! Me!... I just went in and said I wanted one.. but was made to wait until I was gone 3cm before I got one..

I really want a water birth this time, but don't have any option for pain relief other than pethidine and epidural in our hospital and you can't birth in the pool.... So as pethidine will cross the placenta in 30 mins so effects the baby, so I won't use it... my only pain relief option is an epi... So epi it is.. :)

tbh though, I don't think I will have enough time to get one... I was only in labour with Tia a short time, without being induced so I don't know if there will be enough time. :think: I'm being a lot more relaxed this time... what will be will be and I can't change that....as long as baby is born healthy... :)

I said I wanted a water birth, except if LO was still back to back then I would consider an epidural. I made it to 7cm before asking for one.

With Isaac I didn't want one, I didn't want anything, but like yourself I had a long labour, 86hrs, and after having the drip induction I just wasn't able to take more than a few hours of the onset of thick and fast contractions. OH and the MW were both suggesting it to me for 2hrs as I was in quite a bit of discomfort, back to back probably caused most of that, but I felt I was letting everyone down by having it, had I been more prepared I think the option of choosing to have it would have been easier and sooner and saved a lot of upset, maybe.

Next time I don't want to have one, but as you'll be well aware, you can never say before hand what WILL happen, you can only HOPE certains things happen, and its always good to be prepared, I'd personally leave yourself open to either eventuality, don't feel you need to decide anything yet, just think about the fact that you may choose it, and that that's OK to decide before the labour. Very best wishes :hug:

My first birth was hideous, so when I got pregnant again so quickly I really wanted one. I told them right throughout the pregnancy, at every opportunity but I still didn't get one :x In fact I didn't get anything.

With Sam I was DETERMINED I wanted one, and as he was induced I got my wish. I had a block though, and it bloody well wore off just as I got to 10 cm........ :roll:

I think they should be something you opt out of. Why suffer? I mean if you were having a minor op then you wouldn't try and do it without a local anaesthetic would you!?!

I think epidurals are a great example of modern medicine and I would definately have another one. The only down side is that they can slow down labour but as long as the baby isn't stressed then whats the rush?

I put it in my birth plan with James that I wanted one, but I dilated too quickly in the end so just had gas and air, and pethidine.

This time will try and go without one again, I don't really want pethidine either cos it made James sleepy for the first couple days. Might try the dia-something injection this time round.

lou said:
I think they should be something you opt out of. Why suffer?

I see your point, but not everyone wants one? Surely I should have to consent to someone giving me drugs?

lou said:
I mean if you were having a minor op then you wouldn't try and do it without a local anaesthetic would you!?!

I had a birth without pain relief and had a brilliant time - it is possible (although I realise I was lucky). However I wouldn't get any operation done without drugs - I don't think the two situations are similar?

I think it is definitely individual choice - do whats right for you.

Valentine Xxx

valentine said:
lou said:
I think they should be something you opt out of. Why suffer?

I see your point, but not everyone wants one? Surely I should have to consent to someone giving me drugs?

lou said:
I mean if you were having a minor op then you wouldn't try and do it without a local anaesthetic would you!?!

I had a birth without pain relief and had a brilliant time - it is possible (although I realise I was lucky). However I wouldn't get any operation done without drugs - I don't think the two situations are similar?

I think it is definitely individual choice - do whats right for you.

Valentine Xxx

:lol: I understand what you are saying about my comments but also the reason I think you should opt out is because alot of women have to wait a long time for an epidural to be administered and sometimes its not available atall. And I do think the situations are similar ie having an op and having a baby. I know giving birth is natural but if you are in a hospital surrounded by drugs that can take away the pain why try and be a hero and suffer? Surely the less stressed mum is the less stressed baby is? I'm glad Isaac wasn't born to the sound of me screaming and cursing my OH :rotfl:

lou said:
The only down side is that they can slow down labour but as long as the baby isn't stressed then whats the rush?

Sorry but ....

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: It took me two hours to get from 2 to 4 cm's before they administered the epidural... then just 4 hours to get from 4 cms to baby :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: If anything mine sped things up.. :lol:

Although I think the whole opting out thing doesn't quite work... :think: Birth plans are important if you really want something, there seems to be this stigma attached to women who decide to do it "naturally" and those that don't... :roll: the same sorta stigma attached to breast and bottle arguments. And often it makes the mother feel like crap when she gets told things like you can have a wonderful birth without pain relief. Personally I would never agree with having diamorphine or pethidine during birth as it dopes the baby... and whats the point of staying off drugs/alcohol all through pregnancy only to take medical heroin at the end :roll:

Now I've had some really nasty medical procedures done without pain relief.. colonoscopy, endoscope, relocation of shoulder joint.. and I can assure you labour was worse because of the stakes involved.. The life of your baby, so you get panicky which amplifies your pain. Tbh I know, from my personal experience, if I hadn't had an epi, and been constantly monitored because of it, either Tia or me would be dead because of the complications, which weren't caused by the epi (retained placenta, back to back delivery with a crushed umbilical cord), but we picked up and dealt with in good time, because of the constant monitoring involved with an epi. It was a really scary time, and I don't think I could have coped or been able to really give it the best pushing effort at the end without it. :)

I think we'll probably have to agree to disagree on this issue lou. :D

lou said:
I know giving birth is natural but if you are in a hospital surrounded by drugs that can take away the pain why try and be a hero and suffer?

I gave birth at home, so wasn't in hospital and 'surrounded by drugs' but certainly never felt like I was being a hero either, I was just doing what felt right for me.

lou said:
And I do think the situations are similar ie having an op and having a baby.

I do disagree completely that giving birth and having an operation are similar situations - I feel very differently - that birthing can be done in your own environment and shouldn't be unneccessarily medicalised.

lou said:
the reason I think you should opt out is because alot of women have to wait a long time for an epidural to be administered and sometimes its not available atall.

I have no understanding about the delay in administering epidurals so you probably have a very valid point about the opt out - I haven't given birth in hospital so don't really understand how it all works.

Each to their own I say - mine's home birth all the way and something I feel very passionate about.

Valentine Xxx

lou said:
Surely the less stressed mum is the less stressed baby is? :

I absolutely agree but different things make each of us stressed.

If I'd had to give birth in hospital with pain relief, my stress levels would have been through the roof, as it was so opposed to the birth I had planned.

Valentine Xxx

Following on from your discussion lou and valentine, I just wanted to say that if you see birth as painful and something that needs drugs to 'handle', then an epidural is the way to go, it will definitely ease stress and discomfort for Mummy, which could cross to baby.

I personally wasn't afraid of birth, didn't feel painful to me, getting to 7cms was fine, it was when drugs were administered (drip induction) things went to painful and I got stressed, so in my case the epidural was called for as a reaction to drugs, had I not had the induction I believe things may have played out differently.

Not going off topic this post was about if you know you want an epidural before birth, if you do you do, if you don't you don't, there's no 'heroics' involved, its personal choice, some people choose to dis-believe birth can be pain free, thats fine, but its incorrect too :)

Redshoes said:
if you know you want an epidural before birth, if you do you do, if you don't you don't, there's no 'heroics' involved, its personal choice

Absolutely agree, as I've said - each to their own.

Valentine Xxx

I knew I wanted one, and got on so well with mine that I now joke that I will book the next epidural when I get my BFP :wink:

I know there are no medals at the end either way,and as V says, each to their own.

I was petrified of labour, and nothing I could do would convince myself otherwise, so I had one. I think they said they had to do it before I reached 7cm (I was 6cm when I had mine) but can't really remember exactly as I had other things on my mind at the time :rotfl:

Its worth considering the downsides to an epidural ie not being able to move about as much, and the risk of back problems afterwards. My sister had an epidural and hated it...even though she had asked for one...and she now has sciatica as a direct result. Put me off :lol:

With my girls I had pethidine and gas and air, and any future baby will be born at home with just the minimal pain relief ie gas and air, I hated the whole hospital thing!

But as valentine said, its personal choice and some women are happier in a hospital environment with all the pain relief they can get, and others want a more natural experience. Doesnt mean theres a "right" way or a "wrong" way, just your way ::

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back