Council Rent Increase

Misslarue

Reaction score
Up until last year our bungalow was council and then changed over to a housing association. Since then our rent has gone up by £5 a week, last April and now this April. Thats an increase of £520 a year. I don't remember the council being this much?

............its seems a lot to me :think:
Does anyone know what the council rent has gone up by recently?
Cheers :)

Up until last year our bungalow was council and then changed over to a housing association. Since then our rent has gone up by £5 a week, last April and now this April. Thats an increase of £520 a year. I don't remember the council being this much?

............its seems a lot to me :think:
Does anyone know what the council rent has gone up by recently?
Cheers :)

Mine has gone down by £20 a month as of April. My Mums has gone up by £5 a week too

Mine has gone down by £20 a month as of April. My Mums has gone up by £5 a week too

I dont know how much council rent has gone up by (think my sisters went up by £1 or 2) but I do know the Gov critisised the huge difference in rent charges between council and HA a few years ago. Becaise of this council rent should go up more than it used to and HA *should* be going up at a slower rate than it was so the are on more of an even level...

Sorry, not very helpful :wall:

I dont know how much council rent has gone up by (think my sisters went up by £1 or 2) but I do know the Gov critisised the huge difference in rent charges between council and HA a few years ago. Becaise of this council rent should go up more than it used to and HA *should* be going up at a slower rate than it was so the are on more of an even level...

Sorry, not very helpful :wall:

Mines gone up £20 per month, im disgusted, going to have to apply for housing benefit now, its such a huge increase and my council tax has gone up too.

Mines gone up £20 per month, im disgusted, going to have to apply for housing benefit now, its such a huge increase and my council tax has gone up too.

My dad lives in a 2 bed council flat and his has gone up by £6 a month I think!

My dad lives in a 2 bed council flat and his has gone up by £6 a month I think!

apparently it goes up usually around £2 a week but im not sure hun

Isn't renting a property from the council really cheap to begin with though? :think:

I'm with a housing association and mine goes up by £5 a week every single year :twisted: Its now over £80 a week which is a lot for this crappy house I live in and this crappy area!

my mortgage has gone up over the year, so they are probably just passing on the cost of interest rate rises to their tenants

lou said:
Isn't renting a property from the council really cheap to begin with though? :think:

Not at this rate.
Its definitely not really cheap. Its obviously cheaper than a private let as its run by a non profit housing association.

kellie80................How long have you been with your HA? We only joined last year, but was promised the rent would only go up by inflation plus £2. This is fixed for 5 years and then they can raise it how they like. I guess we can expect it to go up £20 a month each year then.

Misslarue said:
lou said:

Not at this rate.
Its definitely not really cheap. Its obviously cheaper than a private let as its run by a non profit housing association.

kellie80................How long have you been with your HA? We only joined last year, but was promised the rent would only go up by inflation plus £2. This is fixed for 5 years and then they can raise it how they like. I guess we can expect it to go up £20 a month each year then.

I don't know enough about it really to comment, I just thought it was dirt cheap to be on the council. I live near one of the biggest council estates in England and it is a mixture of privately owned and council owned property. When you then consider you could be paying a shed load of money each month on a mortgage just to live next door to someone who is getting their roof over their head for a hell of alot less makes being on the council a cheap ride and to be perfectly honest a tad unfair. But I suppose its swings and roundabouts. :)

Mine has also gone up, just over £20 a month, and we live in what is classed by the government a statutorily defective house, aka prefab. The bathroom and kitchen are in desperate need of replacing, but we are waiting to hear if these houses will be redeveloped, so they refuse to do any 'non- essential' repairs, new cracks appear daily. I am disgusted tat they keep hiking up our rent when theycant even be botherd to maintain their properties to a good standard, it wouldnt be accepted in the privately rented sector :shakehead:

lou said:
I don't know enough about it really to comment, I just thought it was dirt cheap to be on the council. I live near one of the biggest council estates in England and it is a mixture of privately owned and council owned property. When you then consider you could be paying a shed load of money each month on a mortgage just to live next door to someone who is getting their roof over their head for a hell of alot less makes being on the council a cheap ride and to be perfectly honest a tad unfair. But I suppose its swings and roundabouts. :)

Most private houses in council estates have been brought from the council at very discounted rates. Hench there been a housing shortage in this country. To low income families the council rent isnt dirt cheap and £10 a week can be the difference between getting by or not. Im sure alot of people in council housing would much rather own their own homes but its not possible for some.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JenniferU
Back