Private Rented Property Help!

grace7

Reaction score
Hiya All,

Some of you may know that me and my partner live with his mum well its in the middle of nowhere and i dont drive so when stu goes to work i cant get out and me and ellie are stuck in the house all day!

Well we have found a private rent flat 2 bedrooms with kitchen appliances including dish washer!! anyway its £600 pm but we cant afford this just wondered if anyone on here lives in a private flat and has the council help with rent and council tax?

If anyone does help would be appreciated as i dont really know how to go about it and what about a deposit would the council help with that or would we have to find that by ourselves!

Im so excited but stu keeps saying dont get excited we might not be able to if we dont get any help i have been feeling so low lately and this has really cheered me up i just hope we can get help and move!!! :D

me and my bloke are just about to move into private rented property and its such a pain
we will get housing benifit (the amount changes from county to county and how many kids you have what hours you work ect ect)
best thing you can do is go to your counsils website most have them it would be something like www.(your area here).gov.uk and on there they should have a housing benifits calculator you enter all the information and it will tell you an estimate of how much you would get
sadly you have to find the deposit yourself we were quite lucky to find an agency that doesnt charge deposits but a one-off admin fee of £400 that you dont get back but other places wanted 3 months rent as a deposit so its a good deal
try looking in your local paper for places or phone people up see if you can get a deal like that
good luck
manda x

Thanks Manda,

Im going to try and find the calculator now!!! :D

Depending on your income(s) and working hours, how many children etc you already have, how many your expecting etc you will recieve housing benefit. Also ensure you are claiming working tax credits (if your entitled to) and the child tax credits and child benefit. Sounds silly but if you are pregnant the midwife will actually be a great source of knowledge of benefits you might be entitled to during and for a while after pregnancy.

I don't know about help towards the deposit side of things.

Nicola xx

hiya all,
thanks for your help well i did the calculator for benefits online and we r intitled to housing benefit!! so i have rang up and ordered the forms!! our working and child tax credits is also being progressed!! things are finally looking up!! woohhhhoooooooo :D

sorry :oops: i'm just so excited

ooo great news hun me and my bloke are just waiting on a fonecall to say its all been processed and we can move into our new flat!!
manda x

Have you had the surestart maternity grant too?

If you entiled to HB and child tax credits there's a good chance you can get the grant which is £500.

urchin said:
Have you had the surestart maternity grant too?

Yeah that's the type of one I was thinking the midwife could advise on. If you have that "The Pregnancy Book" from the NHS (green and purple colour) there are about 15 pages in the back of benefits you might be entitled to. Some of them I didn't even know existed.

i forgot about that i will ring up for the form thx u have all been a great help!

We live in private rented and at the moment we recieve 64pounds towards our rent nothing towards the council tax :eek: (they say as we werent ct banded at the time they couldnt do it) bloody piss taking and now they informed us a month back they had overpayed us through there doing and are now taking the overpayment back off us :evil:

Oh dear thats not very good! Its bad that its their fault and now your losing money due to their error :hug:

Thanks hun it just really annoys me that we a re paying for their mistake :x

Thanks girls i have just rang up to have the surestart maternity grant form sent out to me! I feel like i have done loads today! Better go and get dressed done so much forgot to get myself dressed! well at least my stu will be impressed usually i do nothing useful when he goes to work and today i have done loads!! :)

hehe well done you!!!
ive done nothing but fill in forms this past week as weve done the tenecy agreement housing benifit claim change of address form change of curcumstancies form budget loan form lol busy us!!!
manda x

How long did it take before you applied for housing benefit before they awarded it to you Manda? Im so impatient havent even recieved the form yet let alone fill it out and send it back :rotfl:

4-6 weeks it normaly takes we havent been awarded it yet but we no we are getting it fingers crossed it will be ready for next months rent
manda x

sorry for all the questions but do you have to be living in the property you are applying it for before it will be awarded to you?

sorry about late reply had to go to work lol
you can apply early to save delays but you do need all the details and the agency you rent threw will proberly want to ask the counsil for a pre tenecncy desision this bacicaly will tell the agency how much they will pay and if you will be getting it
manda x
p.s ask away i will tell you all i know lol

thanks Manda, u have been a great help if i have anymore questions i will ask :D gracexx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DreamRapeVic
Back