Council Housing?

The only reason me and my oh have a housing association is because we were made homeless.
And they only gave us a 2 bedroom knowing that our second baby was a girl, so its annoying cos in a few years were going to have to move again.

you may find that they wont move you until the oldest one is 10 as this is the age when they say that different sex children should stop sharing.

good luck lol.

im in devon, in a 1bed flat with baby and dog, and they wont help me whatseover. unless you are faced with homelessness then they wont help. even then, they will only put you in a b&b

hope this helps.

how long will they keep you in a B & B.

have you been on homeswapper.co.uk

it is a council flat that you have isnt it.

aww good luck hun :hug:

it is very VERY difficult to get housing now, especially since the new banding system came in. I recived a letter the other day saying I was in Band 6...turned the page to find out what band 6 meant - no housing needed :rotfl: Oooookaaay!

aww good luck hun :hug:

it is very VERY difficult to get housing now, especially since the new banding system came in. I recived a letter the other day saying I was in Band 6...turned the page to find out what band 6 meant - no housing needed :rotfl: Oooookaaay!

It is a shame you dont live up here! Its not to hard to get a council house here! Its like one massive big council estate lol so they are hard to fill up and we have loads of empty ones!
My dad lived in Devon though and we were going to move down near him and we looked into council houses and we couldnt even put our name on the list as we didnt live in the area!? :shock: LOL Its amazing the difference!

It is a shame you dont live up here! Its not to hard to get a council house here! Its like one massive big council estate lol so they are hard to fill up and we have loads of empty ones!
My dad lived in Devon though and we were going to move down near him and we looked into council houses and we couldnt even put our name on the list as we didnt live in the area!? :shock: LOL Its amazing the difference!

:D Righto off to Manchester then!!!!!

Heheh well we are going to go see the council tomorrow before work and get the forms we will see if we can make a appointment to see someone too.I wrote a list of why the house wouldn't be suitable because I will go blank tomorrow! We have only moved into Cornwall a few months ago so would that class us as not being local? Jeez we would be highly fecked if it did! Ants from Ireland I'm from Somerset so together we wouldn't be able to get a house in either area because one of us wouldn't be local!

They did suggest coming to do a survey when we applied for benefit this time although we had already payed the 6months we were looking for help when the contract was over and they said that £475 was too much let alone £600! :bored: I dunno....wait and see I guess.

:D Righto off to Manchester then!!!!!

Heheh well we are going to go see the council tomorrow before work and get the forms we will see if we can make a appointment to see someone too.I wrote a list of why the house wouldn't be suitable because I will go blank tomorrow! We have only moved into Cornwall a few months ago so would that class us as not being local? Jeez we would be highly fecked if it did! Ants from Ireland I'm from Somerset so together we wouldn't be able to get a house in either area because one of us wouldn't be local!

They did suggest coming to do a survey when we applied for benefit this time although we had already payed the 6months we were looking for help when the contract was over and they said that £475 was too much let alone £600! :bored: I dunno....wait and see I guess.

Nah I think you would be ok becasue you already live there!
I would have had to have lived in the area before applying? That seems a little odd to me lol but then if they are in demand, then they are bound to give it to people who live there already as opposed to someone on the other side of the country?? hee hee I did plan on staying with my dad for a while so I had a Devon address lol but then he buggered off to Spain anyways!! haha
And that was just one area I looked at! It may not be the same in other areas! I know its not here lol

Nah I think you would be ok becasue you already live there!
I would have had to have lived in the area before applying? That seems a little odd to me lol but then if they are in demand, then they are bound to give it to people who live there already as opposed to someone on the other side of the country?? hee hee I did plan on staying with my dad for a while so I had a Devon address lol but then he buggered off to Spain anyways!! haha
And that was just one area I looked at! It may not be the same in other areas! I know its not here lol

Tara & Liam said:
The thing is everyone blames the council, but in fact it was Maggie Thatcher that brought in "the right to buy". It was a terrible idea, thus what happened is a lack of houses.

This is the problem really. I work for a housing association in Devon, although it is the council who place tenants in our properties. 75% of those that become empty get offered back to the council. (The rest are for tenants who need to move). The trouble is, in reality, this is about 2 or 3 properties a week. Without putting too fine a point on it - they generally become empty because people go into care homes or, well, die.
On one of the bigger estates 90% of the 2500 properties were council owned. Now we own 340. There is an average wait of 4 years unless homeless, and then the option is b&b which is usually unpleasant.

Sorry about sounding depressing but this is the reality. HOWEVER, there are organisations out there that will help with deposits up front, CAB can give you details, whereby they help with it up front & then you gradually pay it back.

Good luck with everything. Be positive & it will all work itself out.

Tara & Liam said:
The thing is everyone blames the council, but in fact it was Maggie Thatcher that brought in "the right to buy". It was a terrible idea, thus what happened is a lack of houses.

This is the problem really. I work for a housing association in Devon, although it is the council who place tenants in our properties. 75% of those that become empty get offered back to the council. (The rest are for tenants who need to move). The trouble is, in reality, this is about 2 or 3 properties a week. Without putting too fine a point on it - they generally become empty because people go into care homes or, well, die.
On one of the bigger estates 90% of the 2500 properties were council owned. Now we own 340. There is an average wait of 4 years unless homeless, and then the option is b&b which is usually unpleasant.

Sorry about sounding depressing but this is the reality. HOWEVER, there are organisations out there that will help with deposits up front, CAB can give you details, whereby they help with it up front & then you gradually pay it back.

Good luck with everything. Be positive & it will all work itself out.

It took me nearly 2 years to get a place from the council but i had 2 children then. im in a 2 bed house now with 4 children and ive been waiting since jan 2006 for a bigger place

It took me nearly 2 years to get a place from the council but i had 2 children then. im in a 2 bed house now with 4 children and ive been waiting since jan 2006 for a bigger place

I hate the council where we live, even when we were living with my parents and sharing a bedroom with Josh (he was 2 at this point) they wouldn't give us a house, we'd been on the list since I was pregnant with him.

They finally gave us a tiny 2 bedroom house which had loads of problems, in a place full of druggies and kids hanging about causing trouble. Last year we begged them to move us cos our cars kept getting damaged and there were syringes in the garden and everything :shock: but they refused so we moved into a private rented place, best thing we ever did.

The average waiting time around here for a half decent house is about 5 years, it's crazy.

So yeah, basically the whole system of council housing is a bit shit in my opinion :|

I hate the council where we live, even when we were living with my parents and sharing a bedroom with Josh (he was 2 at this point) they wouldn't give us a house, we'd been on the list since I was pregnant with him.

They finally gave us a tiny 2 bedroom house which had loads of problems, in a place full of druggies and kids hanging about causing trouble. Last year we begged them to move us cos our cars kept getting damaged and there were syringes in the garden and everything :shock: but they refused so we moved into a private rented place, best thing we ever did.

The average waiting time around here for a half decent house is about 5 years, it's crazy.

So yeah, basically the whole system of council housing is a bit shit in my opinion :|

Josephine_Beth said:
however, he is not allowed access to your place, unless you are there or he has asked you for permission.

They are allowed to access your property without you being there and without your permission but they have to give you prior warning

Josephine_Beth said:
however, he is not allowed access to your place, unless you are there or he has asked you for permission.

They are allowed to access your property without you being there and without your permission but they have to give you prior warning

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itsa1231
Back