Co-sleeping?

I think when you have a newborn it's hard! You don't get a manual but what you do get is people's conflicting opinions thrown at you constantly! I think as long as you are educated in the pros and cons of whatever it is your debating you can make your own informed choice as a mother that's right for you and your LO!

Theres conflicting opinions because OP started a thread asking for advice on this subject. You gave your opinion which was that you co-sleep & think its ok & I gave mine that I dont do & dont think its ok. Its not fair for you to imply that other ppl aren't allowed opinions!!

Your right we do need to be educated in the pros & cons & all we can do is make our own decisions its not for others to tell us what to do, but when someone is asking for advice/opinions, thats what the forum is for.

I've woken up when Tyler's not been in with me before thinking he was and that he'd disappeared!! Think we have a 6th sense!

I think the reason they advise against it is that we live in such a world these days that if something did happen there is a fear of the NHS being sued or taking the blame which is a shame!

Thats not true chick....I know when your doing something with your LO & someone says its not safe, ppl are tempted to argue but there is a higher chance of SIDS with co-sleeping, doesn't matter how much ppl think its exadurating. SIDS has its own foundation (from what im aware) & they are independant from the NHS.

Oh & I co-slept with my first, untill I was informed by my MW that i shouldn't do it.

it's not true that there is a higher chance of SIDS while cosleeping. That is a crazy thing to say on a forum where people might be waying up their options.

SIDS has nothing to do with suffocating a child in your sleep, and this rarely happens from safe cosleeping.

This argument comes up so frequently it's ridiculous.

You mentioned this in another thread.....I will once again post what it says on the NHS website, since you obviously didn't bother reading it the first time.....

From the SIDS website -

The safest place for your baby to sleep is in a crib or cot in a room with you for the first six months.

http://fsid.org.uk/page.aspx?pid=406

From the NHS website -

The safest place for your baby to sleep is in a crib or cot in a room with you for the first six months. You should never bring your baby into bed with you.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Sudden-infant-death-syndrome/Pages/Prevention.aspx

I hope this clears up what was classed as "absolutely rediculous"

I appreciate the fact that ppl can decide what they want to do, but I dont appreciate being made to be a liar. Fair enough if ppl want to make informed choices but there is no arguments about what the guidelines are.

I think when you have a newborn it's hard! You don't get a manual but what you do get is people's conflicting opinions thrown at you constantly! I think as long as you are educated in the pros and cons of whatever it is your debating you can make your own informed choice as a mother that's right for you and your LO!

Theres conflicting opinions because OP started a thread asking for advice on this subject. You gave your opinion which was that you co-sleep & think its ok & I gave mine that I dont do & dont think its ok. Its not fair for you to imply that other ppl aren't allowed opinions!!

Your right we do need to be educated in the pros & cons & all we can do is make our own decisions its not for others to tell us what to do, but when someone is asking for advice/opinions, thats what the forum is for.

I didn't want to imply that anyone's choice or opinion is wrong I'm just trying to say that on any matter with children whether it be feeding, sleeping, educating etc everyone has different and conflicting views and as long as you take the time to educate yourself on what could go wrong or go well, whatever choice you make is right for you and your child.

I didn't want to imply that anyone's choice or opinion is wrong I'm just trying to say that on any matter with children whether it be feeding, sleeping, educating etc everyone has different and conflicting views and as long as you take the time to educate yourself on what could go wrong or go well, whatever choice you make is right for you and your child.

Thats spot on pinky. It was just when you said that opinions were getting thrown about & that makes things harder, I assumed you meant my opinion, because it was different to yours.

I couldn't care less about what other ppl think about what I do, I dont breastfeed, so shoot me. I've heard it all about why I should be BF'ing. And If I asked for an opinion on it (to bf or not), i'd expect ppl to say that it was best for baby. I wouldn't be annoyed because ppl did the opposite to me or said that bf'ing was best. I made that decision & thats that, does that make sense.

But when someone asks for advice its kinda different, because they've not decided.

It's so odd because before and when I was pregnant, I said there was no way I would ever co sleep, and couldn't believe people did it.

Then I had a baby and no sleep.. So I have done it a couple of times. More so when lo was younger. I dont and never did make a Habit of it, and never did it when hubby was in bed, and only in a king size bed. And never all
Night. I never found I slept properly, just dozed really, and it was usually after a 5 or 6 am feed.

Personally, I wouldnt co sleep from the start of the
Night. I feel it's impt for my hubby and I to have our own space away from
Baby.

Maria, I'm really Curious! How did you
Manage to
Get pregnant with Oscar in your bed?!? :) xx

i co slept with both of mine and loved it. they would fall asleep in moses basket but if they woke up for a feed it was much easier to lay in bed with them. Both me and hubby are quite light sleepers so rolling over was never an issue and neither of us smoke and rarely drink x

We are really struggling at the minute with Sophie and her sleeping in her own crib. She will sleep there from about half 9 but won't settle after her first night feed :(. I think it's just a phase at the minute with her suffering from colic but the only place she will settle is on my OHs chest or lieing next to me. We are trying not to make it a common thing but at the minute it's the only thing keeping us sane.

No arguing please. I appreciate everyone's opinion as I'd like to know all the pros and cons before making a decision about doing it x

The NHS website also states that the information is not reliable with the regards to the research done as you dont know if the parents had drugs/alcohol prior to sleeping with baby. I think if you know all the risk factors then co sleeping can be very beneficial for both parent and child xx

I personally wouldnt with my LO's for one i listened to the recommendations (unlike with weaning) and for two, its another habit that will eventually need changing. I will already need to wean my baby off her dummy and milk, so to have to get LO to sleep in her own bed will just confuse her so much as i will be changing too much.
Ive got a friend who is going through it now with her 3 year old, you would think it would be easy to just put them in their own bed but she is now experiencing the complete opposite, her LO wont settle and screams to get in her mums bed.
I guess its very much like the early weaning thread i wrote the other day, everyone has different opinions but only you can decide whats best for your LO's and you x x

If I may, I'd like to add my tuppence worth and my experience so far with co sleeping.

My LO has slept with us since she was born - she was exclusively breastfed for the first 3 months so it was easy to feed her. She was put in here crib though to fall asleep on here own, as I didnt want her getting used to needing me to fall asleep. Bt once she woke up for a feed in the morning shed be in with me for the rest of the time.
I have to say I agree with Maria on this one, I do think here is someing natural about it. I was always a very wriggly sleeper, I'd move about a lot. But since having LO I neve ever do anymore. She sleeps at the side of the bed if I have here in with us and we've neve had a problem. I put her in her gro bag, and she sleeps beside me, I don't cover her with the quilt. I make sure shes at head level with me (as I obviously wouldnt pull the quilt over my own head) to be sure. We have a very low bed, so I'm not or ride about her falling out as here basket is level with it.

To be honest with you, I don't trust the NHS...

Throughout my entire pregnancy they gave me conflicting advice and it was really confusing. When Hollie was born, I was actually given an NHS leaflet on how to share a bed safely - even though their website says not to.

I asked my health visitor and she said as long as there's been no drug taking (including painkillers) or alcohol or excessive tiredness it can be quite safe.

I am very fortunate that My LO is such a great sleeper, I've been every relaxed about sleeping and I honestly think co sleeping has helped in making her so. IM not for a minute suggesting that LOs who don't co sleep can't be or aren't good sleepers - but I do believe it's helped make my LO feel more secure and relaxed at bedtime and during the night.

All babies and all situations are different. What's right for one baby and one mother may not be right for another. It's something only you can decide.

Definately hun totally agree there! I only co slept till they were around 7 months old so still had time to put them into a routine of where they sleep in their own beds. They are 2 and nearly 4 and we occasionally have them come into our bed. Agree with the dummy thing too, paige never really had one s only occasionally used one to help her sleep but jake has his pemanantly fixed to him and im dreading getting it off him in time for nursery xx

The mothers heartbeat can actually be very comforting and help to regulate brerathing. The leaflet I got said hat one of the benefits was temperature regulation - apparently the mother acts as a thermometer, if the baby is too hot she naturally cools down and so does baby, and vice versa.

Hollie has no problem going to sleep on her own, and as soon as she's sleeping right through will be moving into her room so mummy and daddy can have some sexy time! Lol

my health visitor suggested co sleeping when i had paige as i was exclusively bf. Think it all depends who you speak to x

my health visitor suggested co sleeping when i had paige as i was exclusively bf. Think it all depends who you speak to x

Totally agree, it's completely conflicting advice wherever you go.

If you introduce LO's own bed early then they dont get used to it but my friends LO was in her bed constantly, im sure some babies adjust quite quickly but others dont x x

Definately M2A. Every child is different just like every parent is different. xx

Ahhh I see :) I def wouldn't have her in all e time, I did it for sleeping sake and to get h used to sleeping all night. Mostly now she sleeps from 12 til 7 in her own bed, then she gets breastfed and will sleep in with me till about 9.

I always made sure mine were in their own bed to start with and then when they woke up around 3/4am i would bring them into mine x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back