Co-sleeping?

Rachaellius

Reaction score
What are your veiws and does anyone do it??

My OH leaves for work at 6.30 most mornings and Phoebe really doesnt sleep well in the night.
So my mom suggested when my OH goes to work that I could have her on the bed with me and see if she'll sleep for an extra hour or two!
I mean is it very safe, what do you think? X

I've co-slept with my LO since he was two weeks old. He goes to sleep in his crib but as soon as he wakes in the night I have him in with me. As long as you don't have heavy covers of pillows that could fall on him, i think it's fine.

Its so nice waking every morning and opening your eyes to your lovely baby. When she starts to smile, it's even more priceless.

I've never worried about rolling on to him, i feel like i've got a built in baby detector and always seem to wake up in exactly the same position as what i went to sleep in.

Also, those couple of extra hours of sleep will do you both the world of good.

That it exactly what I do. After his 6.30-7ish feed I let him sleep in with me and usually we'll sleep until 8.30-9ish! I just make sure there's pillows to stop him rolling off the bed and the duvet is nowhere near him

I know it's not recommended but I tend to have Kynon in with me from about 6ish when my hubby is off shore, for a couple of hours as I do this feed lying down and doze off. I make sure the duvet and pillows are well away from him to minimize the risks. Lots of people do co-sleep, I think there's more info on it in the alternative parenting section, on the do's and don'ts. Some cultures only co-sleep and it's what we all did hundreds of years ago so I think we do have an in build sensor to not roll on them, however I don't trust my hubby not to, he don't even notice when I'm up feeding half the time!

I co-slept with Jax until he was about 10 weeks old. It was the only way he would sleep well and I could get some decent sleep. We used to let him fall asleep with us in the lounge and then take him up to bed with us and I would sleep with him in the crook of my arm all night. I kept him in the outside as I didn't trust my husband but wedged pillows up against the bed so he couldn't roll off. We've just got him into his own room and cot since Sat 7th Jan and its going really well *touch wood*. He still cant self settle, I still feed, rock and cuddle to sleep. But, in the middle of the night I can just feed him, wind him and put him straight back down. Last night he went from 7pm till 12.30am then till 4am then till 7.15am and I was only up for about 15 mins each time :)

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk

I've woken up when Tyler's not been in with me before thinking he was and that he'd disappeared!! Think we have a 6th sense!

I think the reason they advise against it is that we live in such a world these days that if something did happen there is a fear of the NHS being sued or taking the blame which is a shame!

The simple answer is no - its not safe. It doesn't matter if theres no pillows/covers, its still not safe.

I know how tempting it is though, its very very tough not to do it, esp when breast feeding.

I would say an hour or so wouldn't hurt but I wouldn't want to say that coz obvs no amount of time is safe.

Its great co-sleeping when they're older though

:)

I've woken up when Tyler's not been in with me before thinking he was and that he'd disappeared!! Think we have a 6th sense!

I think the reason they advise against it is that we live in such a world these days that if something did happen there is a fear of the NHS being sued or taking the blame which is a shame!

Thats not true chick....I know when your doing something with your LO & someone says its not safe, ppl are tempted to argue but there is a higher chance of SIDS with co-sleeping, doesn't matter how much ppl think its exadurating. SIDS has its own foundation (from what im aware) & they are independant from the NHS.

Oh & I co-slept with my first, untill I was informed by my MW that i shouldn't do it.

Nothing is ever 100% safe. However, in your situation the risks of bed sharing (co-sleeping just means having LO sleep in the same room as you) are very small so I wouldn't worry. I bed shared with LO for the first 6 weeks as she simply wouldn't sleep any other way. The HV just told us that as long as we were aware of and minimised the risks she didn't see a problem with it and that we should do what feels right for our family.

That it exactly what I do. After his 6.30-7ish feed I let him sleep in with me and usually we'll sleep until 8.30-9ish! I just make sure there's pillows to stop him rolling off the bed and the duvet is nowhere near him

This is what I do too xx

At work atm so can't post more, but will this afternoon.

We have coslept since my son was 2 weeks old, still do, and will with the next. Will post more about it when I get home later.

Don't be scared to cosleep, it's perfectly natural!

xxxxxx

Thats not true chick....I know when your doing something with your LO & someone says its not safe, ppl are tempted to argue but there is a higher chance of SIDS with co-sleeping, doesn't matter how much ppl think its exadurating. SIDS has its own foundation (from what im aware) & they are independant from the NHS.

Oh & I co-slept with my first, untill I was informed by my MW that i shouldn't do it.

it's not true that there is a higher chance of SIDS while cosleeping. That is a crazy thing to say on a forum where people might be waying up their options.

SIDS has nothing to do with suffocating a child in your sleep, and this rarely happens from safe cosleeping.

This argument comes up so frequently it's ridiculous.

I think when you have a newborn it's hard! You don't get a manual but what you do get is people's conflicting opinions thrown at you constantly! I think as long as you are educated in the pros and cons of whatever it is your debating you can make your own informed choice as a mother that's right for you and your LO!

I think I am going to give it a try. I dont think I'd do it all night though as my OH is always tossing and turning plus there wouldnt be enough room with 3 of us. I'll certainly give it a try on my own though.
Errm also what is SIDS? Sorry if that makes me sound completely clueless x

There are safe co sleepers that you can buy, google it there are many many options. I would take the baby in bed if breastfeeding and for naps, but I will probably y a co sleeper for that . More for my own god lol, too much stressing otherwise.

I meant weighing up in my last post, not waying up!! Oh dear lol :wall2:

We did alot of research into cosleeping. I was terrified about it, like most people that it was dangerous. This is not the case. You do have to take precautions, but then you do with cot sleeping also. Don't go to bed drunk or on drugs! Simple really. Don't use quilts, we did, but we kept them at waist height and lower. the heating was always on when he was first born so it was never cold anyways.

Cosleeping, infact, probably promotes healthy breathing in babies. It is good for them to be close enough to hear your heart beating. Our son still sleeps with us. Our next will too... I don't know how we'll all fit in the bed at this rate lol

People used to cosleep all through history, it's natural. Anti-cosleeping campaign came from... cot manufacturers :wall2:

Japan (I think it's there, I can't remember without gonig back to look), cosleeps until the child is in school. Look at their nation, amazing.

I won't post any more in this thread though as it is a sensitive subject to me. Everyone has to make a choice that is right for them. Some babies don't even like to cosleep anyways. But I just get really upset when it becomes an anti-cosleeping crusade. So will step back now before the pregnancy hormones drag me in even more lol

If anyone ever wants to talk about cosleeping, please feel free to pm me.

xxxxxxxx

ive co slept since day one it was the only way m would sleep aslong as its done safely then its fine i have a matress on the floor now as ms more mobile x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back