Christmas...

kitten1102

Reaction score
How do/did you decide where to spend christmas now that/since you've had kids?

We are thinking about spending at least xmas day on our on at home with baby, but both sets of parents are all saying what a let down it'll be, as baby will be too young (we are fully prepared and aware of this!) and that we should spend xmas with them...

Trouble is, we live slap bang inbetween both sets of parents, and they are 150 miles in either direction!!!!

How on earth are we meant to keep it fair!?!?!?!? :think:

happymum said:
how about getting them to come to you?

i'd love to have everyone here, but we live in a 2 bed flat, with an open plan lounge/kitchen, so there'd be no where for people to sleep or eat...

depends which one would moan the most after christmas :rotfl:

Stick with your plan of spending it on your own. Make arrangements to see everyone after Christmas - sorted :D

I take it in turns each year with mine and oh family that way its fair all round.

We have a two bedroom cottage with a field behind it. My mum is going to stay in the baby's room on an airbed, baby is still sleeping in our room, my sister (7 months pregnant) and her husband are bringing their caravan to put in the field so she can have quick access to a loo, my brother and his russian girlfriend are staying in 'the dungeon' (the old pantry - it has bars on the window so you could leave it open and noone would nick the food!). The only bathroom is through our bedroom. My MIL wouldn't come to stay if we had a mansion. There will be 7 of us for Christmas Day dinner and it will be brilliant!

My baby likes lights, so we will have more light decorations than you can shake a stick at :lol:

we spend xmas eve with one set, xmas day on our own and boxing day with other set lol its like 3 xmas days, its great :rotfl:

does involve lots of drivin though :(

spending it with his parents again this year as we live with them till we can afford our own place and my god i cant wait :)

wish i was that person whos won the euro millions in devon.

spend it alone and enjoy your first Chritsmas as a family. It'll be magical!

That way nobody can feel put out as well..... :wink:

This year we are at my in-laws and next year when the baby is born we will be at my parents. We always spend Boxing day with the other set of parents. Something we have always done since wwe have been arried and we aren't planning on changing it for anyone!

Thankfully my parents and in-laws are good friends so if worse comes to worse my in-laws can always come to my parents - means there will be 18 of us maybe more!

We live virtually next door to OH's parent's, but mine are 300 miles away. We usually alternate who we spend Christmas day with.

However, once the little one comes along we have decided to be completely selfish, we don't want to trek all the way down the country with all the baby paraphenalia etc. We will invite my parents up every other Christmas. Problem is, now we are turing our guest room into a Nursery and OH will not let the box room be anything other than the computer room...they will have to stay in a hotel.

We're really lucky, we live 10 mins walk from my parents & 10 mins drive from OH's, so we see both sets. We usually go over to mine in the morning then have lunch & afternoon at in-laws. Then on boxing day we have lunch with my whole extended family because it's my Grandad's birthday so everyone comes.

Just waiting for the invite from OH's mum and dad :lol:

(my mum lives over 200 miles away :( )

Stick to your guns! Just tell them that you really don't know at this stage how you are going to be feeling, you'll have a new baby that you don't know what sort of routine they will be in and travelling around just might be one step too far.

150 miles is a long way to drive with a little one, esp. if you're going there and back in one day.

I would just leave it open until you have at least had the baby, and gotten an idea of what might be achievable in terms of travel etc.

its never been an issue for us as my boyfs mum has passed away and he's estranged from his dad. so we are going to my folks' as usual. x

We used to try and see both sets on christmas day but it's too stressful clock watching and all the driving ....mostly havin to be nice all day :x

Actually the worst bit was Jonah getting so excited cos santa had been then pulling him away from it all to drive for an hour....then the same again...and again...then on Boxing day he was knackered.

After last year I said if anyone wanted to see us then they had to come here but I've changed my mind as I don't want a houseful to look after while I'm so preggers.

Everyone is in the huff but I ccouldn't care. My boy comes first so we will have a relaxed and happy morning at home then go to inlaws for dinner and spend boxing day at my parents.

Just do what you want....they'll get over it.

We always spend xmas day on our own at home, that way noone feels that they are getting more or less than the others. We see everyone either a few days before or a few days after.

enn said:
spending it with his parents again this year as we live with them till we can afford our own place and my god i cant wait :)

wish i was that person whos won the euro millions in devon.

It wasn't me :(

I would spend this year at home seeing as you're gonna have a young baby.
Maybe take turns in visiting the parents in future years. They're too far apart to spend xmas with both, unless you want to invite both sets to stay with you (that would be my worst nightmare!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back