Christmas dinner!

mermaid

Reaction score
Why does Christmas cause so much trouble with families?!!! My OH and I are arguing because we have never had a Christmas meal together after 10 years! We always go to our own parents. I know if I didn't go to my mum she would be the most unbearable miserable person on earth as she is quite self centred! How do we sort this out? What do you do? :(

christmas is really worrying us 2 every year we have travelled around 100 miles to visit family as theyre really important to us especially at xmas but this year it'll be 6 days before m due so i wont be able to drive and DH oesnt drive so weve asked my family to come up on xmas eve as they usually congregate at my nans and its the only day my mum can make time for us as she has plans ith her new family on xmas day and then DH's family are hopefully coming up for xmas day so we are not left on our own but my mum is like ooooo its so far and im like yeah i know i do it all the time to come an see you driving the 100 miles on my own pregnant and she cant be bothered to do it even with her DH in the car. sorry to rant on and i know i didnt help you but saw the thread and thought im going to have a goo old rant :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

We were hoping to move house by xmas so then we would invite both families for xmas at ours this year but the houses we wanted have all been reserved now we wasnt quick enough :( so we will probably go to DF's parents day before xmas eve, and my moms xmas eve and xmas day as I just couldnt be without my family on xmas, they really celebrate it more than DF's i think...

Cas x

Why not do Christmas at one house and boxing day at another? Then next year do the opposite.

My Inlaws live in South Africa and it was asked this year that we go over there for Christmas, I really didn't want to, for various reasons, so we are coming home on the 22nd now :)

I'd either get family to come to you, or spend a day with each, otherwise what wil you do when you have kids later.....you'll want to be with your kids all day and it will never work going to seperate places.

Last year we did Xmas day at the inlaws (boring as hell!), and the Boxing day at my parents (a riot!!!). This year I wanted to do it here, but we're in a 2 bed flat with no dining room and only room for 4 people to sit on the sofa's. :( If we can move somewhere bigger before Xmas, then I'll be doing it, otherwise, no idea! :roll: It's such a bloody headache isn't it?

My SIL does the right thing I think. She has always had Xmas morning and dinner at home with just her kids, and then Xmas tea is open house to the rest of the family. This stops all the arguments.

My OH's mum is on her own, whereas my mom has my stepdad, my 2 sisters & brother & my nanna - so we agreed with my mom (well it was actually my moms suggestion) that due to distance, that we have xmas day with OH's mum, and new year day meal at my mom's - started that last year and will do the same this year. My sisters b'day is xmas eve so we always spend whole of xmas eve with my mom anyway.

Next year OH's mum is moving to Derby :pray: (lives in Wirral now which is about 2 hours away) so when she lives here we will be able to see my mom xmas day morning with LO (for 1st xmas) in Birmingham, and then come bk to Derby to go to OH's mum on afternoon.

We had our first ever xmas together with MIL at my moms, but MIL was grumpy all day so we vowed never again - she just likes to be on her own territory!

we have just decided nowthat we stop at home and people come and go as they please and we do a buffet instead of chrismas dinner

We have this problem every year, so we stay at home for dinner just the 3 of us, nothing better than a lovely family roast dinner especially at xmas !! so if we went to one set of parents house the other would be upset so we stay at home!! but the past 2 years we have had dinner at home, then went to see OHs family then mine etc ! so this year we might just stay at home full stop and if anyone wants to come over in the afteroon they can !! :)

We used to all go my mum and dads on christmas but now we all have kids of our own no one is going. They don't want to have to decide which one of the 5 of us to go to for dinner so they are going away to Scotland for christmas. They have the right idea i think. Anyone that wants to visit comes after dinner but we don't go out at all!

we're pretty much the same, we go round visiting all family on xmas eve, present dropping etc.. then xmas morn my mum and MIL normally come round to see the kids, we have xmas dinner at hom as a family and then boxing day they come to us for a meal/ buffet depending what mood i get up in LOL
but it used to be a real pain before we had kids decding where to go

I think that's it Lyn, as we don't have children it is harder. Next year it will be different with our new little boy and we will probably stay home! The parents may even come to us if I can learn to cook. :rotfl:

I like the idea of going to both on different days this year, maybe that's the solution? :pray:

i just go to me mams, oh my god i cant wait for my xmas turkey and roast pots yum yum, and not forgetting my bottle of rose blossom hill :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: :rotfl:

we are round sil's this christmas. i love christmas with loads of family.

tankett were in the same position. we have a 2 bed house but our kitchen and front room is tiny, no room for a table, unless we buy a folding one , still havent got anywhere to store that size one. we have got a 7 year wait for a 3 bedroom place, unless we do a mutual exchange.

mermaid said:
I think that's it Lyn, as we don't have children it is harder. Next year it will be different with our new little boy and we will probably stay home! The parents may even come to us if I can learn to cook. :rotfl:

I like the idea of going to both on different days this year, maybe that's the solution? :pray:

Boxing day is a big event in my family, I'd just do the seperate days, I love boxing day!

I used to do one day with my family and one day with OH's family but now we stay at home and it's so much less stress and the kids have all their things around them it's great,we have invited our friends and their little boy round this year and i can't wait :cheer: xx

We used to spend Christmas dinner time apart, I would go to my family and OH would go to his - but when we got married I knew that it would have to change so we now take it in turns. It just so happens that this year we are due to go to MIL and it will be Jacob's first christmas, I have had to get round this by telling mum that next year when we are at her house Jacob will be so much more aware of what Christmas is all about, she is still unhappy though! We will be going to my mum's first thing to open presents then to MIL for dinner then will go back round to mine tea time. It's funny though cos my sister is now living with her DF and they are discussing what they are going to do this year and it is causing problems, lol!!!!

Xxx

I'm Irish and last year we went to Dublin for Christmas and New Year so this year we're staying here with DH's family. I have a sister living here too and she and her family usually goes home on the 28th but we're trying to persuade my dad to come to England for Christmas and if he does we'll go to them on boxing day. And then have a great big New Years Eve party at ours.

me and OH always go to my parents on xmas day and we go to OHs family on boxing day (its at his nans house and all his family go) for a xmas dinner, pressies etc...

Sounds like that works well fran! Sounds like most couples stay together at least, wherever they go lol! Not like us. :(

My other problem is that I haven't been speaking to a certain relative since we had an argument a while ago. She will be at my parents as it is usually just me, her and mum and dad! If anything, this just might make me go to OHs family this year as I can't bear spending most of my time with only her while Parents cook dinner! Oh the joys of Christmas! I would sure miss Mum's dinner though if I do this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back