Christmas - Why does it have to be such a dilema!

xkikix

Reaction score
Oh God its time to start thinking about christmas.

Does anyone else have the dilema of where to go over xmas, either my parents or DH's parents. Obviously I want to go mine, he wants to go his. With it being the first christmas with our baby as well I want it to be lovely. DH thinks we should go one set for dinner the other for tea/evening, which is great but then I think we'll end up with grumpy tired baby and us.

Also how much do you/did you spend on pressies for you LO. Knowing me I will spend hundreds going mad but with us all having to tighten our belts I really need to be sensible.

I'm getting excited about his first xmas but dreading the whle grandparents thing.

xkikix said:
Oh God its time to start thinking about christmas.

:talkhand: :talkhand: :talkhand:

i have got all the same dilemmas as you - but its not even august yet!! i refuse to think about christmas til at least october :shakehead: :shakehead:

:lol: :lol:

my OH is at the mo working christmasday morning 7-3. i think i will take her to her grandmas & nanns in the morning and then when he comes home insist its just us 3

I am so excited for Calleighs first christmas. I think the day will go with us visiting his mum late morning/early afternoon then over to my mum and dads for a late crimbo dinner :D
However this all depends on if my mum has to work on christmas day and if so what shift she is on. But either way we will visit boths his mum and my parents, I aint cooking no christmas dinner :lol:

I think we may just buy Calleigh a few things that we know she will need. I know she is gonna get spoilt rotton by her grandparents and aunties and uncle :D

This is why I'm so glad my OH's parents are in South Africa... although we were asked last year to spend christmas over there... I couldn't face it, not only would the kids be confused why father christmas only brought a few gifts.... and left most of them at home, but its hot there, not all decorated like here... we were there in December and it wasn't christmassy at all, I LOVE christmas and it just didn't feel right.

Also, my fingerprint pendants get very busy in December so I just couldn't afford to lose out on it.

We're going there fore 3 weeks in January next year, a good compromise I think ;)

sorry I don't have any advice... :(

me and my mum are working this year, me 8-12.30 mum 7- 2, we will all be staying at mums tho after, then on boxing day go to MIL in the morning as have footy in the afternoon :D

In the past, before children we would alternate who we spent our meal with and see the others in the morning of Christmas day or Boxing day.

Last year I insisted that we were having Christmas at home but I invited my parents and we went and saw his mum in the morning. It worked out quite well.

This year I have no idea what to do. Baby is due 8th December and I know we won't want to be trailing round visiting everyone but also can't be bothered to cook either. I'm in half a mind to just go to my mum's but then if we don't go and visit OH's mum you can bet there'll be trouble.

At the momnet I'm ignoring it and hoping it'll go away! :lol:

As it's babies first christmas how about having it at home with just the 3 of you and visiting one set of parents christmas eve and one set on boxing day?

Fed up with it already, there's a banner outside the local bowling alley about booking up for Xmas dinner.

We've got the same problem of where to go. First Xmas with a baby and we have to travel all over blimming Kent visiting people. I got annoyed previous years as I don't get time off work over Xmas so my few days off are spent visiting so I don't get a day to myself.

I hate this too!!

If I had my way, we would just spend Christmas Day at our own house with the kids but I doubt it'll happen :roll:

Ive just decided lol were going to dinner at my parents and OH is the evening, I cant bare his mums cooking so Im not giving up my yummy dinner just to please her lol

I honestly wish we could stay at home, he'll be 8 months at xmas which I think will be a lovely age!

I might suggest that the parents can come over for tea at ours and just the 3 of us have dinner together... oh I dont know.

Also girls, how much you spending on LO's presents?

Thanks For all your replies xxx MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

x-kirsty-x said:
I hate this too!!

If I had my way, we would just spend Christmas Day at our own house with the kids but I doubt it'll happen :roll:

Thats what we're gonna do. so sod both parents :talkhand:

when me and OH moved in together we used to take it in turns with the parents and in laws. One year we went to mine, the next we went to them, the year after that we did it at our house and both sets of parents came over (what a bloody nightmare, i hate it when its our turn, lol)

Anyway,. last christmas was really crap and rushed. We went to the in laws for xmas dinner, Had to be round there by 1, which left no time for Beth to play with all her toys. Sat round there for ages (which is really dull =as after dinner MIL washes up, Fil goes into one of their living rooms and falls asleep while OH goes into their other living room to watch tv, we dont play games or anything) Then we had to visit my parents straight after just to say hello and merry xmas, then by the time we get in its pretty late, im knackered, beth STILL cant play with her toys as its too late and i miss the xmas Eastenders cos i have to get her ready for bed :rotfl: :rotfl: What a performance eh?

Soooooooo....... this year im doing xmas dinner just for me, oh and the kids. Everyone else can sod off. I'll say to the parents that theyre welcome to pop round but i just cany be doing with it again. I'll be doing it for my family from now on...

....thing is, now both sets of parents are saying "thats fine, then you can come round for boxing day dinner with us instead!" Grrrrrrrrrr.... :x :lol:

We have to split ourselves 4 ways! Both mine and OH's parents have split up so we need to get round all of them! I'm getting Angel's first pressie tomorrow i think as it's discontinued.

It is so NOT time to start thinking about Christmas!!! :shakehead:

My parents are in Germany, the bloke's parents are in the UK. The plan is/has always been to alternate between both sets of parents/countries. We've spent Christmas 2005 with my parents (I had just moved to the UK), 2006 with his. 2007 we should have gone to my parents, but postponed as it was my dad's 70th birthday with a big party in feb and we couldn't have afforded going over twice in such a short period of time. This year we should go over, however I'm due to give birth in early January, so it's a no-go.
My mum said she and my dad could come to ours, but I don't think I could cope with houseguests 8 days before my due date. Especially as the bloke can't drive, so I would have to pick them up from the airport etc. Weirdly it took my mum ages to actually understand why I didn't want that. And also why I'd prefer them to come over once Horatio's been born. Parents... :wall:

id loooooove to spend christmas with just me,OH and the kids.thing is OH is an only child and ive tried other years to NOT get his parents round on xmas day and failed dismally. :wall: however much i protest i end up cooking for them on both xmas and boxing day and miss pressy opening.ivesuggested xmas day just us now we have the 2 of them but i fear the deaf ears already :wall: :rotfl: :wall:

We have a dilemma at Xmas too...

We have contact visits with my OH's daughter and the court agreed that we could have contact from 3pm Xmas day to 3pm Boxing day and again 3pm New Years day til 3pm on 2nd Jan.

OH came back from court really pleased that we get her for half of Xmas day but that has really messed up spending Xmas day with my elderly dad (he's 80yo) as he and the rest of my family live in London and we couldn't travel down Xmas afternoon and return boxing day morning to return her to her mum (we travel by public transport, which obviously doesn't run on bank hols).

It's all good for his ex, her parents live in Peterborough so OH's daughter gets xmas time with grandparents every year, but if we want to spend Xmas together as a family it means my son not visiting his grandad.

We're gonna ride with it this year but then next year refer it back to court in the hope that we can change the xmas arrangements to accomodate everyones needs.

I hate Xmas grrrrrrrrr

Sarah xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back