Christmas...

We have this problem. :(

The first year OH and I were properly together we spent Christmas morning with my folks and then drove over 110 miles to his parents' for yet another dinner.

Then the next year his parents' had split up which made it a lot of driving to see everyone over the Christmas period.

The first year we had Erin, we were living with my parents as the house we had been buying fell through and we'd already sold our house. So we drove down to husband's mum & family on Boxing Day, came all the way back and then back down again on the 27th to see his Dad & family. Over 500 miles with a young baby - 5 months old!!

Last year I put my foot down and wanted to stay in MY house with MY family and others could come to us. Therefore my parents, brothers & respective girlfriends came to us for Christmas dinner and then we went down to Reading (again) for OH's side of the family.

This year, OH's mum rang up IN APRIL!!!! to book herself in for Christmas, which I was not pleased about as I wanted Christmas Day to ourselves again and then visit the families. We whittled her down from coming up Christmas Eve to Christmas Day and hopefully she'll leave Boxing Day or the day after. Trouble with my MIL is that once she's here, she tends to stay on for a few more days and I don't actually like people being in my house as I can't relax.

As this is the first year that everyone on my side won't be together for Christmas, they are coming to us again for Christmas dinner, so it will be a busy table again, but I don't mind that.

Next year, with 2 children, it's Christmas at home. No one else coming up. Erin will be of an age to understand Christmas and won't want to be dragged away from all her presents to go visiting and I see nothing wrong with extending the season so that the presents stay with the respective grandparents until we see them.

I'd like to have a family Christmas - just OH, me and our 2 children. Then grandparent visiting after Christmas Day so the children don't become too excited and tired. Bah Humbug!! ;) :D

I'm so lucky my in laws are in South Africa!
They tend to see us for a holiday onc a year, but I'm glad we don't really have the Christmas issue, although last year we were asked over for Christmas but it just wouldn't feel Christmassy in the hot weather and the flight prices triple with all the saffas going home for Xmas anyway.

My mom lives 5 mins away we're lucky we go there for a big family Christmas every year.

Finnish people don't celebrate xmas on xmas day... its xmas eve when they have their meal and give presents... so we go to my inlaws xmas eve and eat very traditional Finnish foods, and then my parents on xmas day.. for very traditional British foods... :)

Tia gets three xmas' because in Spain they don't give presents until the 6th of January which is Three Kings.. (where the three kings gave presents to Jesus... yada yada yada). So there are huge processions and they hand out sweets and stuff... Even though we don't believe in that rubbish, its good for Tia to understand the culture in which she lives.

Last year we saw the inlaws on Christmas Eve, had lunch to ourselves on Christmas Day but went to my mums for Xmas Tea, then both sets came to us on Boxing Day (DDs Birthday!). It was waaaay to much!
This year we're seeing the inlaws on the Sunday (day before Xmas Eve), we'll have Xmas morning and lunch to ourselves and do a tea for my family and siblings (but no doubt I'll run into my mum before then because we now live next door!) and on Ella's birthday I think we'll go to the zoo or something like that, just the 4 of us.

I think that *fair* would be having Xmas on your own without everyone else thinking they are entitled to have the baby spending the time with them.

Go visit both sets of parents AFTER Christmas and enjoy your first Christmas alone with your new family.

We are having Xmas day alone, just the 3 of us and having people round on Boxing Day within a set time. If we lived as far away as you did, I would arrange for a long weekend with each set after the chaos of the holidays is over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back