changing spelling

titch

Reaction score
Its getting more and more popular to give our babies names but change the spelling to make it unique, so I got to thinking...

does anyone have or know anyone who has an alternative spelling type name as an adult and how do they feel about it?
I love unique names but i think it would get on my nerves having to constantly correct people. And are there ever problems with companies mispelling, especially thinking about trying to get credit etc...

My friend is called Emily but it's spelt Emilie! People always spell it wrong but right if you get me? Lol x

My name is Helen and people constantly spell it Hellen! So annoying!

My name is Keziah and it's NEVER spelt right. :lol: That's why I usually go by Kizzie because although there's different spellings of that, I'll accept pretty much any of them Kizzi/Kizzy/Kizzie whereas Kiziah/Kaziah/Kezzia are all just wrong to me.

People spell Lacey, lacy! It pisses me off as it's mostly OH's grandma who should know by now! When we first had Charley, everyone kept spelling it Charlie!

People spell my sons name dillon and it's Dylan, it really pisses me off ;) ecspecialy when it's family members!!! Lol :D also my name is Kelly ann and the amount of people that spell it kellie Anne!! Grrrr

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had a neighbour called Kristofer, tbh it just looks like they can't spell and ended up doing it phonetically when they went to register him!! Sorry for offending anyone!

I think no matter what your name is, there is the chance someone out there will spell it incorrectly. My name is Amy...pretty darn simple, right? But when I have customers mail or fax me things, I tend to see Aimee, Amee, Ayme....

Personally I'm a fan of traditional spelling simply because it helps to avoid all the funky mispellings and sometimes I swear parents try too hard to be different. Nothing wrong with being a unique little snowflake, but there is a point where names can cross into the ridiculous zone if ya know what I mean.

We had a neighbour called Kristofer, tbh it just looks like they can't spell and ended up doing it phonetically when they went to register him!! Sorry for offending anyone!

that is taking it a little far. All his life people will ask his name and they'll start writing "chr.." and he have to say "no with a k, no h and an f" I think if that were me i'd get business cards made up to save my breath!!

Erm.... Claire, Clare, Clair! Grr!!! lol

I knew a woman once whose name was Andria pronounced Andrea. When I mentioned it was spelt differently she said her Dad went to register her birth and he was drunk and spelt it wrong!! Whoops!! lol

xxx

I think no matter what your name is, there is the chance someone out there will spell it incorrectly. My name is Amy...pretty darn simple, right? But when I have customers mail or fax me things, I tend to see Aimee, Amee, Ayme....

i sooooo know what u mean!!!

i dont think Layla can really be spelt wrong.. but will see!! lol x

Erm.... Claire, Clare, Clair! Grr!!! lol

I knew a woman once whose name was Andria pronounced Andrea. When I mentioned it was spelt differently she said her Dad went to register her birth and he was drunk and spelt it wrong!! Whoops!! lol

xxx

:rofl: Claire, my mates Mum's name is 'Lee' it's meant to be Leigh :rofl: Her Dad was also drunk when he registered her so she uses her middle name Angela so she is Lee Angela :rofl: Though her and her husband have called one of their sons Lee :) no wonder you usually have to have the Mum to register children these days :lol: My OH's other sons first and middle name initials come out BAD and his last name is good so he is BAD Good :lol:

i sooooo know what u mean!!!

i dont think Layla can really be spelt wrong.. but will see!! lol x

my sisters baby is called layla and she gets leila all the time xx

My name is spelled Ashlea and always always people get it wrong - Ashleigh or Ashley normally. It really gets on my nerves when people get it wrong when they've seen how to spell it right, like if I email someone at work and they reply with my name spelled wrong, does my nut in given my email address is my name and my signature in email has my name, no excuse!

I think if you're going to chaange the spelling of a name to try to be different then you have to be prepared to have to correct people for the rest of your life! Can't have it both ways! x

i seriously wouldnt the kid will have to correct people forever and the reason nobody can get names spelt correctly is because people change the spelling to be different id say stick to the traditional spelling and it will most likely be unique lol

my son is bayley and tbh im not really fussed on correcting people (hate to correct family though they should know by now he is 3 for christ sake) but then i spent up until last dec having to spell out my surname (hoy) and when i turned up anywhere people were always astonished that i wasnt chinese!

the other thing is i dont think it makes a difference how you spell any name that ends in a y cos you will always get somebody spelling it ie!

mines sophie and people have spelt it sofie and sophy before. really irritates. before i got married my surname was martin and people insisted on spelling it martyn. grrrr. howevver i can look past spelling but i HATE it when people call me soph. have to remind them in what sounds like a terrible snobby way that my name is sophie!!! i dunno why it irritates me so but......xxx

I'm Lucy and I've had Lucie, Loosey, Loucie..... Madness.

My Cousins have had problems with Spellings for Conor and Corey...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mara14
Back