Spelling problem

munchkin1982

Reaction score
Hey, although we don't know the sex of our baby yet, we seem to be pretty sure it's a girl... how and why I have no idea but that has got us thinking now about names.

My OH has the love of the name Layla (because of the song :-() and when he suggested it I came out with a flat out "NO". However, on second thoughts, I am actually really warming to it but not with that spelling. I prefer Leila.

What do you guys think? We have also agreed on the middle name too which is fab so she (if a she lol) would be either Layla Marie or Leila Marie.

Please let me know your thoughts. Am i being too stubborn on this or just worrying too much about the possible name-calling/taking the mick etc when she would be at school?

Thanks in advance :)

I went to school with a girl with this name and i have to admit hers was spelt Leila. But it's total preference to how you spell it - i'd go with what your happy with!!!

There are so many ways to spell every name. You can also spell it Leyla which is how my daughters friends is spelt. I guess it doesnt really matter how a name is spelt its just down to you and OH to decide on how to spell it, also think about if its easy to pronounce in that spelling, if your the type to get funny if your names said wrong x

I really like Leila and prefer your spelling :)

I remember reading somewhere that layla is arabic for 'night beauty'

I like it spelt either way

I prefer Layla and think the name Layla Marie has a lovely sound to it!

I know a wee girl and hers is Leighla - Mae but i love the name Layla but really like it with rose. Layla-Rose? xx

aaawww - love the name Rose as a middle name but unfortunately OH doesn't :-( my other choice for a girl would have been Amelia Rose ;-) but he don't like either! So it's looking more and more that if we do have a girl then it'll be Layla Marie xx

also my SIL loved the name nathan but thot it was quite common so spelt it naythan... and she regrets changing the spelling now cos she said no1 can spell his name and he cant get anything with his name printed on it and she finds herself getting mad at people for spelling it wrong even tho people dont know but yeah she said it maqkes no difference to his name its said the same so her advice would be keep the spelling simple?! :S i dunno xx

also my SIL loved the name nathan but thot it was quite common so spelt it naythan... and she regrets changing the spelling now cos she said no1 can spell his name and he cant get anything with his name printed on it and she finds herself getting mad at people for spelling it wrong even tho people dont know but yeah she said it maqkes no difference to his name its said the same so her advice would be keep the spelling simple?! :S i dunno xx

Very good point. Think it would make my OH's life if I stick to Layla rather than Leila but there is NO WAY our son or future son is going to be called Eric lol - I'll leave you all work out the connection! ;-) xx

lol i was gonna be lisa marie after presley and marie does go with everything ... do you mind me asking surname?? xx

Layla/Leila Marie Shore... i think its lovely ... if i can think of any stunning middle names ill come back to ye lol apart from rose i cant think of any.. yet lol xx

Layla/Leila Marie Shore... i think its lovely ... if i can think of any stunning middle names ill come back to ye lol apart from rose i cant think of any.. yet lol xx

Awwww, thanks hun :) some boys names would be good too lol - just in case ;-) xx

ive chosen harry and alfie for my boy that i havent conceived yet pmsl well i chose them incase madison was a boy but i will use them next time.... so yeah theyre my faces :D lol

i also like ....

kai
ollie
george
alex
bobby

xxx

oh i also think leila... may get called (lee-lah) where layla looks like the way its said xx

oh i also think leila... may get called (lee-lah) where layla looks like the way its said xx

Yeah that is true - alot of people saying that. I love the names you have suggested for boys... however OH really likes kings/conqueror name lol. Nothing Biblical :-( But I do quite like Henry William at the moment? :) xx

I prefer Leila and Marie is a lovely middle name. All the girls in my family are Maries'. Can I ask why you think she would have the mickey taken being called Leila?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back