Breastfeeding while pregnant and Tandem feeding toddler and new baby

Nat26

Reaction score
Hi Ladies,

Wanted to start a thread for anyone breastfeeding while pregnant or tandem feeding a baby and toddler. Would love to talk to others as literally don't know anyone in the same situation.

Heres a little about my experience, I have breastfed my son who is now nearly 20 months from birth, exclusively breast milk for the first 6 months. Initially when I started breastfeeding I wanted to make it to at least 1 breastfeeding as I didn't want to give my lo formula and thought at that point I could introduce cows milk. Anyway when my lo was 10 months I found out I was pregnant with baby no 2 who is 7 weeks old today :) I am a extremely stubborn person and I knew I wanted to continue breastfeeding until my son was at least a year. And omg the pain at times :shock: Fortunately, I got use to it and it did get better! Anyway....on I went breastfeeding all through the pregnancy.

The evening I went into labour (my due date) with my dd my son was ill with norovirus (so was I but that's a whole different story!!) Anyway he was very unsettled and at around 10.30pm he was awake and very much wanted boobie :) Anyway, he certainly helped induce labour :) :) :) My dd was born at 6am the next morning after a pretty pain free labour and me only arriving at the hospital 25 minutes before she was born!

I had to stay in hospital as I was so ill after giving birth, my blood pressure dropped and I was still suffering badly from the norovirus. This was the first night I ever spent away for my ds! Anyway when I arrived home OMG I did not prepare myself for how my ds would react to me breastfeeding my dd. It was the most heart-breaking thing I have ever had to witness and now 7 weeks on we have got through the early days beginning our tandem feeding journey.

Anyway would love to chat to others and I'm here if anyone has any questions about breastfeeding while pregnant or tandem feeding. Hope I can help. :) :wave::wave:

You must be superwoman!:lol:

Awe your boy must have wondered what on earth was going on. I've often wondered how it works for breast feeding a newbie and a toddler! Who gets the colostrum?! How does that work? Xxx

Wow! That's brilliant! How did you get on feeding through pregnancy? I have read a lot about supply just drying up...we want to start trying for another baby soon but I also want to keep feeding till at the very least a year but possibly longer!

And I also wondered how it works with colostrum at the beginning!xxx

You must be superwoman!:lol:

Awe your boy must have wondered what on earth was going on. I've often wondered how it works for breast feeding a newbie and a toddler! Who gets the colostrum?! How does that work? Xxx

Thank you, to be honest I am just rather stubborn and wanting to continue to nurse my son until he was at least one :)

As for the colostrum, your milk actually changes in the 3rd trimester and sometimes this can make your toddler wean because they don't like the taste change. The new baby still gets the colostrum in the first few days. My milk came in on day 4 but the best thing was with my toddler feeding I didn't get too engorged :) xx

Wow! That's brilliant! How did you get on feeding through pregnancy? I have read a lot about supply just drying up...we want to start trying for another baby soon but I also want to keep feeding till at the very least a year but possibly longer!

And I also wondered how it works with colostrum at the beginning!xxx

Ah feeding through the pregnancy, well I think the worst part was 1st trimester as my nipples were so sensitive! I suppose much like when you first start breastfeeding and the latch isn't quite right - the soreness is about the same. You literally have to grit your teeth at times!

There are only a few reasons why you can't continue to breastfeed while pregnant - usually its not advised if youve had a preterm labour or you are having multiples. But generally breastfeeding should not induce labour especially before 24 week apparently. Well anyway my dd was only 6 hours late of her due date!

As for supply drying up, it can happen and I'm quite sure I didn't have a lot of milk and my son dry nursed a lot of the time. However it is a comfort thing too - obviously if your lo was very young you may have to consider supplementing if necessary. I think my ds thought all his Christmases had come at once when I suddenly had a never ending supply of milk on day 4!

Another plus side to nursing while pregnant I was straight back down to my pre pregnancy weight straight after giving birth...however now I eat non stop as nursing the two of them makes me starving. :lol:

I think it will be interesting to see if there are any other tandem feeders out there or anyone currently pregnant and breastfeeding :)

Good luck missyeovil, its definitely possible to continue breastfeeding and why not continue if you can :) xx

Ah well done hun!! My first two are only 13 months apart and I was convinced my first wssnt getting breast milk so started on extra bottles but carried on comfort feeding until she was11 months old. We happened to move at this time and the routine changed and she stopped feeding. I'm not sure what would have happened if we hadn't moved etc. But I really don't think she was getting milk and was just suckling never swallowing. Xxx

I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant and bf my 25 month old. I think he might be on the verge of weaning though as he doesn't seem bothered and I think he has been dry nursing for weeks. Very sad :(
If he wants to I will be tandem nursing him when number 2 comes along. I have no idea how it works but I trust my body to figure it out.
It's lovely to talk to others doing this x

Ah well done hun!! My first two are only 13 months apart and I was convinced my first wssnt getting breast milk so started on extra bottles but carried on comfort feeding until she was11 months old. We happened to move at this time and the routine changed and she stopped feeding. I'm not sure what would have happened if we hadn't moved etc. But I really don't think she was getting milk and was just suckling never swallowing. Xxx

Well done you for persevering while pregnant that must have been hard with a small age gap! Eeeek and who says you can't get pregnant while breastfeeding! Were you exclusively breastfeeding when you got pregnant? To be honest the comfort of breastfeeding when they are still young is just as important as the nutrition. Great to hear others stories :) xx

I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant and bf my 25 month old. I think he might be on the verge of weaning though as he doesn't seem bothered and I think he has been dry nursing for weeks. Very sad :(
If he wants to I will be tandem nursing him when number 2 comes along. I have no idea how it works but I trust my body to figure it out.
It's lovely to talk to others doing this x

Well done you for getting to 25 months and getting through already nearly half your pregnancy - congratulations too on your pregnancy. Oh bless I know exactly how you must feel with him slowly weaning - its a very sad time :( If he wants to continue dry nursing then you may find once your due date gets closer and your lo arrives he may become more interested. My milk seemed to return a bit in the last weeks of my pregnancy and now I have so much its unbelieveable Ive actually noticed my toddler has cut but on the amount of solid foods he eats! (He use to eat loads but now seems to get full quicker, he still eats more than enough!)

Even if your lo does wean before the new baby arrives be prepared that he may ask for it again as that is very normal even for slightly older children. Although in most cases they forget how to nurse if they haven't for a long time.

Good luck - let us know how you get on. Will love to know how it works out for you and be prepared for the first time your son sees you nurse! It caught me completely unprepared and with all those hormones I was in complete tears for ages! xxx

Oh you definitely can get pregnant while exclusively BF lol!!! I'd had no periods or anything between pregnancies and my oldest never went more than 3 hours between feeds! It was very tough, we were co sleeping as well which resulted in me being her dummy ALL night. It was hard to get enough sleep etc when she was latched on all night at 7 month's old. Our third is 5 years younger than our second. Put me off fodder while it was such a blur lol. Xxx

Oh you definitely can get pregnant while exclusively BF lol!!! I'd had no periods or anything between pregnancies and my oldest never went more than 3 hours between feeds! It was very tough, we were co sleeping as well which resulted in me being her dummy ALL night. It was hard to get enough sleep etc when she was latched on all night at 7 month's old. Our third is 5 years younger than our second. Put me off fodder while it was such a blur lol. Xxx

Wow, I am now very pleased I have started taking the mini pill!! They say as long as you are feeding day and night and not supplementing you shouldn't ovulate...wow must have been a shock for you. I didn't risk it last time round and I really can't afford to this time either! Sounds like you did a fantastic job though, it can't have been easy falling pregnant when your lo was so young...Theres 18 months between my two and that's quite close lol. Well done you...I bet its worth it though as they grow up together :) xxx

Well we kind of planned it if that's makes any sense. I didn't go back on the pill and knew I was pregnant straight away. So we weren't exactly trying but we weren't trying not to either! I know makes no sense. And unfortunately my so called close friend was soo negative and really made me think we were irresponsible and I wouldn't be able to cope. And unfortunately again I was lacking in confidence and in my early 20's and took this too personally. Nevermind!! I've grown up a bit and keep this busy body at arms length! Needless to say after our second I was on contraception straight away lol xxx

Hi Nat26. Thanks for starting this thread!

I've just found out I'm pg with no.2. I've breastfed my daughter, Tilly, for over a year now. She only feeds once a day now and it hurts like hell! I always had supply issues, so I'm wondering if I'll dry up soon and if she'll self wean since she's only on the one feed a day. I'm just going to go with it and see what happens. I am proud to have made it to a year and any extra is a bonus.
xxx

Well we kind of planned it if that's makes any sense. I didn't go back on the pill and knew I was pregnant straight away. So we weren't exactly trying but we weren't trying not to either! I know makes no sense. And unfortunately my so called close friend was soo negative and really made me think we were irresponsible and I wouldn't be able to cope. And unfortunately again I was lacking in confidence and in my early 20's and took this too personally. Nevermind!! I've grown up a bit and keep this busy body at arms length! Needless to say after our second I was on contraception straight away lol xxx

ooo I hate interfering people who give their opinions, sometimes close friends/family are the worst because they think its ok to do it! Who cares if you wanted to have another baby straight away. I'd love to have a 3rd now but I know its not possible financially - people are already saying to me well you have 2 now so family complete...grrrr they should just mind their own business. I think a small age gap is lovely :) xxx

Hi Nat26. Thanks for starting this thread!

I've just found out I'm pg with no.2. I've breastfed my daughter, Tilly, for over a year now. She only feeds once a day now and it hurts like hell! I always had supply issues, so I'm wondering if I'll dry up soon and if she'll self wean since she's only on the one feed a day. I'm just going to go with it and see what happens. I am proud to have made it to a year and any extra is a bonus.
xxx

Hi Karen - Congrats on your bfp :) Well done you for making it to over a year breastfeeding and as for the soreness now, I completely sympathise - it does get better! My son went down to 1 feed a day usually it was just the morning feed but he always wanted it right through my pregnancy. I think it becomes more of having the connection with mum than nutrition so you may continue for a while if you are happy to do so :) I was like you to begin with just so happy to reach a year - its a long time and you've really given your daughter the best start :) XX

Heya! C is 11 months old today and he is EBF, three day feeds and a night feed he loves his milk. I am planning to let him self wean and I would like to start actively trying to get pregnant ASAP at the mo we are NTNP I am fine with tandem nursing but I always take every day as it comes with BFing! Xx

Heya! C is 11 months old today and he is EBF, three day feeds and a night feed he loves his milk. I am planning to let him self wean and I would like to start actively trying to get pregnant ASAP at the mo we are NTNP I am fine with tandem nursing but I always take every day as it comes with BFing! Xx

Well done, its lovely continuing as long as you can. I was so lucky to fall pregnant very quickly so I hope you have the same luck. :) I love tandem nursing my two now and wouldnt have it any other way, I will let them both self wean when they are ready :) xx

Well I got my BFP yesterday!! My supply is already playing up.... I am so close to 12 months!! Xx

Huge congratulations KK!!!! How exciting xxx

Well I got my BFP yesterday!! My supply is already playing up.... I am so close to 12 months!! Xx

Wow congratulations :) Fantastic news. I think you will find the hormone changes do have some impact to start with but its certainly possible to continue breastfeeding if you want to :) If not then you've done so well already :)
Hope you have a very healthy, happy 9 months xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back