Breastfeeding while pregnant and Tandem feeding toddler and new baby

Thanks ladies, I am feeding as and when C wants it but we did give him a little cows milk last night because I was drained. I fed him again at 11pm and there was a lot of suckling and swallowing. Bless him, hoping he will self wean when he is ready x

i bf'd my DD til a week after her first birthday, i got preg again when she was 9 months so i carried on thru 1st tri but she wasnt really bothered anymore, it really did mess with my supply and she had never been that demanding about feeding so it really did just tail off, she stopped asking and i stopped offering. will deffo be bf'ing DD2 when she arrives in september so i hope DD1 will adjust to me feeding another baby, tho she does point to my boobs and say boob, baba a lot atm lol

Tilly never asks any more, but I am persevering with the first feed of the day, which is the only one we still have. It hurts like **** though. I still see some milk coming out, but she doesn't swallow nearly as much any more, so I think it's more for comfort now, and a kind of 'good morning', than anything. I will see how it goes, but I imagine it won't be long before it's all over for us. x

I fed my son when i was pg bur made a decision to stop as my supply had gone in the pregnancy and to give myself a break.
Cant help with the tandem feeding but Dispelling BFing Myths is a page on FB thats great for advice.
My son was very curious about his little brother feeding but didnt ask for it so i was relieved as i didnt know how i would handlw that

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Its really interesting hearing peoples stories. All I can say is my ds didn't seem that interested in breastfeeding until I had my dd...he always wanted morning cuddles and would nurse then but now he asks me usually 2 or 3 times a day. He always points to my boobs when I'm feeding dd but he seems happy with it now.

I hadn't thought about the fact my body hasn't had a rest lol.....To be honest I've been breastfeeding for 20 months now and I can't remember what it was like before!

Well done Karen for persevering, if you just let things naturally happen then you will be happy that you continued as far as you could.

There obviously aren't too many tandem breastfeeders out there. Am I really strange for doing it? I have told the odd person who has asked me when I stopped feeding my ds, I always say I'm still breastfeeding him - most people seem genuinely interested but I don't know if they go away talking behind my back or what?? ??

I.think milk supply really dips at around 4-5 months so my son was getting frustrated that it wasnt much there. My.friends supply has gone too and her daughter weaned. I think she would have tandem fed.

I guess for me i wanted to stop because i had low supply with my son so couldnt imagine trying to tandem feed. By the time he weaned, there was hardly anything and i didnt get engorged at all

I.think milk supply really dips at around 4-5 months so my son was getting frustrated that it wasnt much there. My.friends supply has gone too and her daughter weaned. I think she would have tandem fed.

Yes I think it does definitely decrease a bit but then in 3rd tri mine seemed to increase again??? Strange, I guess its quite uncommon for the toddler to continue nursing. I was going to buy the book adventures in tandem nursing while I was pregnant until I read that it was quite negative in that it focused a lot on the fact that nursing through pregnancy was near on impossible (I don't know if that's the case because haven't read it!)

I would have tandem nursed happily, but DD got really frustrated at the little coming out, so had to top her up. I have heard of toddlers who go back to nursing once baby arrives.

My friends lil girl of same age dry nursed all through her pregnancy. She found 'adventures in tandem nursing' very helpful.

I get the impression that its really hit or miss with nursing through preg, kinda depends if you have a toddler who's willing to comfort/dry nurse, and there's not a lot you can do to influence it.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I guess my daughter dry nursed as they call it. If we hadn't moved at the same time I'm not sure we'd have continued or not. She started falling asleep with her bottle in a pushchair so didn't need to latch on because she was fast asleep by the time we carried her up to bed. We co slept. And maybe I wouldn't have fed because I wasn't happy co sleeping with two so baby was with me and 1 year old with my husband. We tried all sorts I must admit. But the guilt I had from them being so close and feeling like I'd pushed her out kind of affected bonding with the baby. Maybe tandem feeding would have helped. Sorry I'm rambling now!!! X

I would have tandem nursed happily, but DD got really frustrated at the little coming out, so had to top her up. I have heard of toddlers who go back to nursing once baby arrives.

My friends lil girl of same age dry nursed all through her pregnancy. She found 'adventures in tandem nursing' very helpful.

I get the impression that its really hit or miss with nursing through preg, kinda depends if you have a toddler who's willing to comfort/dry nurse, and there's not a lot you can do to influence it.

On my iPhone - so cant see tickers :(

I may well have to give 'adventures in tandem nursing' a read :)

I think it is possible for toddlers to go back to nursing after a break but like every thing else it seems very individual. I thought in some cases they may try to latch but actually they have forgotten how to.

I guess my daughter dry nursed as they call it. If we hadn't moved at the same time I'm not sure we'd have continued or not. She started falling asleep with her bottle in a pushchair so didn't need to latch on because she was fast asleep by the time we carried her up to bed. We co slept. And maybe I wouldn't have fed because I wasn't happy co sleeping with two so baby was with me and 1 year old with my husband. We tried all sorts I must admit. But the guilt I had from them being so close and feeling like I'd pushed her out kind of affected bonding with the baby. Maybe tandem feeding would have helped. Sorry I'm rambling now!!! X

Awww I think it was difficult with your los being so close, I totally admire the way you continued to nurse - Any breast milk no matter how little is amazing and although your two were close in age they both got the very best start. Its easy to look back and think maybe tandem nursing would have helped but you did what was best at the time. I'm glad there is some support for tandem feeding even from those that haven't done it themselves :) x

I think it's pretty amazing that people can do it. Maybe I'd have given it a go with more support but it's another BF 'thing' that people have an opinion about. I was in early twenties and lacked confidence I guess to go against the opinions. Anyway hats off to all that feed two xxx

So glad you started this thread. I'm hoping there may be tandum nursing in my future and was going to start a simmilar thread to hear from other ladies out there who are doing it.

So glad you started this thread. I'm hoping there may be tandum nursing in my future and was going to start a simmilar thread to hear from other ladies out there who are doing it.

:wave: Well I'm finding the tandem nursing lovely but also exhausting at times! My toddler still nurses at night time on the odd occasion when hes teething etc - last couple of days have been bad and I feel drained!

Its an exciting journey tandem nursing I think this thread just goes to show you have to go with the flow a bit but it can work if you and lo are happy with it :)

Two babies up at night must be hard! How does your toddler react to #2 nursing now? Does he get jealous at tall that you have to give the newborn priority when it comes to nursing, or do you have the hang of feeding them both at the same time?

Two babies up at night must be hard! How does your toddler react to #2 nursing now? Does he get jealous at tall that you have to give the newborn priority when it comes to nursing, or do you have the hang of feeding them both at the same time?

It really depends on his mood to be honest, at times when I'm nursing my dd may ds comes over and points, pokes her in the eye etc and other times hes just too busy doing something else to care. I'd say the jealousy is still there but he only really gets upset if hes tired or I haven't got him out of his high chair as I'm breastfeeding and don't have any hands left kind of thing!

My toddler seems to ask for it a lot more now but sometimes its just like a minute and then he goes off happily again so I think maybe its just a case of wanting to know its there if he wants it?

I have on the odd occasion let them feed at the same time but I find my ds seems to sit on my dd or kick her and it becomes quite awkward. I think I will have to work on positioning or perhaps it will just be better when dd gets a little older and isn't quite so fragile :)

Just thought I would bump up my thread and see if we have any other tandem nursers or anyone hoping to tandem nurse?

I'm still going strong with my two (now nearly 23 and 5 months). Been a fantastic journey :)

I have offered my toddler but he ran away saying no no!

Awh bless him!

My 3yo brother keeps asking me what I'm doing when feeding, I just tell him that some babies have bottles & some babies have milk from their mummys. He still looks confused but accepts it haha x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back