Trying a feeding routine with breastfeeding

Rosieroo

Reaction score
Hey :)

The past fews days haven't been much fun with the breastfeeding, Ella seems to be comfort feeding a lot. I know the idea of breast feeding is that you do it on demand, but I am finding the lack of control over my life really hard to deal with.

So today I've decided to try a routine with feeding and feed her every 3 hours (and as much as she wants before bedtime). If she's gripy before a feed then I am hoping to try and distract her etc.

Last night she fed from 3pm on and off til 10pm and still woke at 2am. So I didn't feed her, I just gave her her dummy to see if it was food she wanted or comfort. She went back to sleep without a feed til 7am. Now if she'd been really hungry I am sure she would've woken before 7am and definately spat out the dum and had a crying fit. She didn't cry at 2am she was just searching around with her mouth for something (fist, crib bumper etc) and making 'that breathing noise' that preceeds a feed.

Have any of you tried a routine with breastfeeding? I don't want to be lynched for not feeding on demand, but I am so tired of it. I was in tears last night when we put her to sleep because I was tired and upset that I hadn't managed to settle her properly all night. :cry:

Ello,

Don't worry I won't lynch ya :)

I had a similar situation to you and tried a feeding routine and it kind of worked but now he is good at night, which is where I have the main routine before bed I don't really have set times but I do have a plan and try to stick to it.

Even now six months on I think - shall I try this today or leave that out or do this etc, I don't think that ever stops.

xx

Asked this on a different forum and got told that I run the risk of Ella developing anorexia in later life if I make her stick to a routine with b/f.

I wouldn't let her cry and cry for a feed, but sometimes I think she does only do it for comfort, which is fine if I don't mind being stuck to the sofa all day and have no life! I can't go through 12-13 feeds in a day again, it makes me feel ill :(

not heard the anoerxia thing?! sounds like something made up to me!

becarefull with routines as you may find that your milk will dry up completely.
I tried to bf ewan every three hours but he would scream the place down after 2hrs.

if i got really tired i would get hubby to give him formula .

I understanmd how hard it can feel to be strapped to the sofa.

The anorexia thing sounds like a load of rubbish to me!

I'm lucky with Brody and have no probs demand feeding him, but he just doesn't need me most of the time, I can see how feeding for so much of the day would be hard work.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing with the dummy, maybe a few more days of this new routine and she'll be settling better for you:)

Hi Rosieroo...
I hear what you're saying!!!! and agree!!!!
I have no set routine during the day, although most days are nearly the same. During the day I just feed him constantly - especially between 5 and 7pm. He has a play after that for about 45 min and then bath 'n bed. Sleeps ok now, but when he wakes in the morning - my shift starts and with that comes the constant feeding. I have tried helping him find his thumb or take a dummy - nope, won't have it!!!
So, not much help to you I'm afraid. Guess I just take one day at a time and hope that it's a managable day. If I'm tired out by his feeding, I pop him in his pram and go for a walk. He often ends up sleeping for 2 hours like that. By the time he wakes, my boobs are like rocks and he ends up with a much more fulfilling feed!!!
Good luck - it's a toughy!!
Emilia xx

Hi

I agree with you Emilia on the walks. When Thomas is in all day, he asks for a lot of food, especially after 5 pm. So now I take him out almost every day for a few hours. I take him to the supermarket, town, almost everywhere... He loves it as he is asleep most of the time and can go 3 hours or more without a feed. As soon as i am back i feed him and find it easier to deal with him.
He still wakes up twice or 3 times a night though. It can be tiring taking him out but it is less tiring thsn b/f. first you both take the fresh air, then you do not hear the baby crying and I found that I love my little one more since i have done this...

Hope this helps.

I started taking Rubie out and about and she would sleep for up to 6 hours in her pram or car seat, but it meant that my milk dried up cos I was never feeding/expressing :( I have stopped expressing as of today becuase I can only get 1/2 and oz a day from both boobs :(

futuremum said:
I agree with you Emilia on the walks. When Thomas is in all day, he asks for a lot of food, especially after 5 pm. So now I take him out almost every day for a few hours. I take him to the supermarket, town, almost everywhere... He loves it as he is asleep most of the time and can go 3 hours or more without a feed. As soon as i am back i feed him and find it easier to deal with him.

I have also found this a god send, though my bank manager may disagree as i always end up downtown :D . It gives me time to get out, and i am much fuller and can feed seren longer.

Well today's 'routine' has gone better. I just want to guide Ella into hopefully feeding when she's hungry. I feel it's my fault as everytime she cried when I got her home I thought she was hungry so shoved me boob in her mouth, made a rod for my own back! I've found out today that a lot of that feeding was for comfort.

She's stuck to the feeding today, am going to give her a top up now and put her down for the night. Will report on how it went tomorrow :)

Went really well :D :D :D :D

Ella went sleep at 8.30am and I topped her up at about 11pm. She then slept through til 6.15am this morning (didn't cry when she woke but I thought that she'd be hungry so fed her) then she went back sleep til 10am.

Bliss! It's going well so far today aswell and she seems a lot happier.

Nice one.

i also think that anorexia thing is crap.

In the old days (as my mum would say) you were told to feed your babies every 4 hours when breastfeeding - personally I reckon that's too long and it would affect milk, but as I always say, every mum, boob and baby is different go with what seems right and if it don't work, think of a new plan ;)

Apparently the eating disorder thing comes from the starve/binge thing I'll be getting Ella into. But I don't starve my daughter!

The same people that said that flamed an article which said that on demand feeding could cause obesity in later life because it's getting babies into the routine of feeding when they need comfort.

TBH I think it's a load of tosh and that if we're doing something that works then why not stick to it? Ella seems happy, I'm happier so I think that's all that matters :D

I agree, there are too many bloody scarey articles out there that contradict each other !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kiara.y2
Back