The Tandem feeding support thread

Dragonfly Fi

Reaction score
Well, looks like i am soon to be tandem feeding my babies so thought i would start this thread.

I was preparing to stop during pregnancy because i know milk can dry up, me and Jasper have continued through the tough bits and my boobs have started leaking so i know i am fine to feed him now

anyone else tandem feed?

Nope! Only me lol

well... me and Liam worked out that by the time i have finished feeding this baby coming, i will have been constantly breastfeeding for FIVE YEARS! (this is based upon 3 years being a fairly natural age of weaning completely

if i have another baby in a years time it would be SEVEN YEARS!! Madness!

:) Wow chick, that's def impressive and yes madness does spring to mind :) :) xxxxxx

Wow well done you, that's amazing going! Does that mean that your boobs won't make the colostrum stuff if they are continuously making milk anyway?

No they still make colostrum and infact they do that from about 35 weeks pregnant so Jasper will get a fair wedge of thicker milkies before the baby comes in - Apparently our bodies adapt quite well to feeding two :)

My milk dried up when I was about 13 weeks pregnant with Toby, and Sam started refusing to feed so I didn't tandem feed but I can't see Toby ever wanting to stop :lol: so if I do get pregnant again (been trying since Jan) I may be joining you!

No they still make colostrum and infact they do that from about 35 weeks pregnant so Jasper will get a fair wedge of thicker milkies before the baby comes in - Apparently our bodies adapt quite well to feeding two :)

It's impressive what our bodies can do! Good luck for the tandem feeding, think of all those calories you'll be burning :) :)

Yep and during late pregnancy too! Loads of calories down the swanny :)

(i need it, when i had Jasper last time i joked about having my username changed to BigBum, and trust me, it would be just as truthful! lol)

:rofl: I'm still loving that I can eat whatever I want despite being down to a few feeds a day - I'll be in heaven if I have two to feed!

i think tandem feeding sounds well cool! i wonder would ur eldest get envious of lo taking booby milk and look for more :rofl:

i hope i can give BF a go next time!! xx

Apparently it can help with jealousy, i imagine Jasper will want to latch on the 'other boob' for a bit of a feed when he sees Ivy have some, but i imagine he will get bored and want to play soon, he only feeds for a couple o minutes these days (apparent from in the evening when he might have a 10 min feed) so i cant imagine he will want to be stuck to me! Got other things to do!

My mum was tandem fed, there was no choice 60 odd years ago.

My gran had three sets of twins in three consecutive years, so had no choice really, the babies were still to young to go onto "normal foods" when the newborns arrived.

This is my first baby so obviously not this time :oooo: but, depending on this one's age when "the next one" arrives (famous last words) I would look into this.

If I was supplying loads of milk I was thinking of donating some rather than wasting it - must look into that.

I pumped for a cancer patient for around 3 months of last year. Unfortunately i was on Warfarin for the first 6 months of Jaspers life (well warfarin and deltaparin before that) so i couldnt donate to the hospital babies :( It was cool donating for an adult though, it meant i didnt waste all the milk i pumped while i was drunk lol!

This time i should just be on Delta Parin for the first six weeks of Jaspers life and NO warfarin so i am going to pump for the hospital :)
§

That's awesome donating for an adult! I read an article once about a woman who gave her Dad her breastmilk when he was diagnosed with cancer and he beat it really quickly - whether that was fluke or not who knows?
Obviously if they are using bm then there must be a certain amount of research on it's properties?

Would I just contact my local hospital about donating? Or is there some sort of group you have to join, like with giving blood?

i would speak to your midwife about it hun :) They ask that you don't 'actively' donate for 6 weeks at my hospital, pump and store for sure but they dont want people pumping out extra until they are in tune with their babies :) Also if you struggle and decide to stop before six weeks you might want to use up your breastmilk on your own baby rather than someone elses IFSWIM :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back