Breastfeeding while pregnant and Tandem feeding toddler and new baby

Just thought I would bump up my thread and see if we have any other tandem nursers or anyone hoping to tandem nurse?

I'm still going strong with my two (now nearly 23 and 5 months). Been a fantastic journey :)

Glad to know it's working for you :).

I'm still feeding my LO at 18 weeks pregnant, but she only has it in the morning and I don't think I'm producing much milk. I'm just following her lead and seeing what happens. I'm not sure how to feed when bump gets bigger, though. I keep thinking I'll stop soon, but haven't done yet!
x

Im still feeding Fraser but he mainly feeds over night. Im just going to take it a day at a time but would like to tandem feed if my son still wants it.X

Well done, continuing to nurse while pregnant - it not always easy! Towards to end of my pregnancy I mainly breastfed while lying in bed and actually to this day my son loves coming and having a snuggle/ feed with me in bed.
I didn't think I would get to this point but I'm so pleased I've carried on and hes still getting all the goodness of breastmilk too :)

I'm still feeding Aela whenever she wants except for bedtime when I'm giving a bottle just to give me a wee break! Could barely move at about 6 weeks pregnant as I had zero energy but am starting to feel a wee bit more alive. I want to get a year BFing Aela but I think I will probably stop then. I worry about how much milk I'm producing and whether it's enough but she seems okay so hopefully it is!xx

Glad I've just found this thread! Im still nursing my 24 month old and just found out Im pregnant so not sure what un expect over the coming months!

Did any of you giirls who are tandem nursing have trouble with morming sickness? I had very bad morning sickness with #1 and that could make it difficult. I could hardly move for a couple of weeks and had trouble drinking liquids.

I had morning sickness but it was actually better than first time round. I know friends however who suffered really bad and ended up ib hospital that would be really hard! However us mummy's are very strong, I think I got on with things no matter how rough I felt! Xx

My morning sickness.was better second time round too. I didnt find it very painful to feed but my supply did go.

Tapatalking so cant see signatures

Thought I'd bump this thread to see if we have any other tandem nursers?

Im still going strong with my two 26 months and 8 months now! No sign of stopping!

Last edited:
Nat26- are you still tandem nursing? I got my BFP last week, the same week LO turned 1 so I am now pregnant and breastfeeding and thought I'd look up this thread.

A question for other girls who have BF while pregnant. When did your supply drop? Honestly I don't think it will stop LO because she sucks for comfort even more than milk. We will see how it goes but it looks like I might be tandem nursing in 9 months time:)

Last edited:
My supply stopped quite early on and I ended up dry feeding ds until 31 weeks when I had a big bleed and contractions and was hospitalized. I was too scared to feed anymore after that and had ds2 at 33 weeks. I decided not to tandem feed in the end as ds1 was quite accepting of being weaned, he's 2.5 x

Sarah, when do you think your milk went? I am 7ish weeks, i think i still have milk but i think its dropping as he wants feeding often. But he is only coming up to 13 months

Sarah, when do you think your milk went? I am 7ish weeks, i think i still have milk but i think its dropping as he wants feeding often. But he is only coming up to 13 months

Congratulations! I think it went around 15ish weeks, I felt really sick all of tri one though as had a real feeding aversion so I cut back how often I fed him as well x

Hello everyone! Haven't really announced on here but I'm still tandem nursing and 9 weeks pregnant with baby no 3! Congratulations to all those newly pregnant mummies :)

Anybody finding that their morning sickness isn't so bad while still breastfeeding? I've read somewhere that breastfeeding while pregnant seems to stop the morning sickness a bit. It certainly does for me :)

I find my supply does really drop in 2nd Tri but comes back in 3rd tri and trust me having a toddler there means no engorgement! :)

Sarah it must be very frightening to have had the bleed and I think you definitely did the right thing to stop feeding. They recommend not to continue nursing if you have a history of preterm labour I think but I don't want to frighten anyone because I had a very healthy pregnancy while breastfeeding. I did have to take iron tablets but that's about it!

Hope to have some other tandem nursers here soon :) I wonder how I will cope feeding 3, I need a 3rd boob! lol

Thanks for the update Nat! When are you due? I'm 7+3 so we are not that far apart. Is there a name for feeding 3, lol? It's nice to hear experience from someone who has been so successful tandem nursing. Have you spoken to doctors /MWs about tandem nursing? What reaction have you had from doctors and MW's about feeding while pregnant?

Last edited:
I'm 9 + 4 so due 3rd Jan although I always seem to get put forward at the dating scan!

I've spoken to quite a few midwives about tandem nursing, I don't think its that common so the local midwives here were quite surprised but they said there were absolutely no problems with it at all. When I gave birth to my daughter the midwife told me I wasn't feeding an 18 month old anymore...lol its very different to a newborn. Have to say it but most people haven't been all that supportive, especially family. All the way through my pregnancy people were asking me when I was going to stop breastfeeding my ds (why people think it is any of their business I'm not sure). This time round I don't think I will get anyone say anything, I've told everyone I will let my ds decide when he wants to stop. Hes happy and I'm happy so thats all that matters. Sometimes when I'm feeding them both they hold hands and look at eachother, its very cute. :)

Are you finding it very sore/sensitive to feed? I am a little bit more this time but maybe because I'm feeding two! Do you know whether your supply has decreased? xx

My supply doesn't seem to have decreased yet. Nursing hasn't been painful for me. It does put my teeth on edge a bit especially when she pops on or off or uses a shallow latch. It's a bit uncomfortable sometimes but I'd never call it painful it just makes me cringe. It's almost more of an emotional reaction than a physical one. I am cutting feeds a bit short because I find long feeds hard. My boobs feel kind of hot and sore after she feeds for a longer time or when she hasn't fed in a few hours.

We had an independent MW last time for the birth who we contacted again to say I'm pregnant. She just had a client who fed through her whole pregnancy. She seemed like it had make her nervous because she said the books say you shouldnt BF in pregnancy but it had gone well so I think she is more comfortable with the idea now. The doctors where I live tend to be a bit backward about BFing so I'm not sure how they will take it, I'm not sure if I will bring it up :).

Last edited:
I had ms that was worse than last time (i was feeding, too). I am 11 weeks and finding it painful unfortunately, not sure about supply but i think its ok. Have no idea if i will end up tandem nursing or not but i cant see my youngest stopping yet

The worst of the morning sickness didn't hit me until after 10 weeks last time so it's hard to say. I Have days that I feel pretty awful all day and throw up two or three times but then days I feel not too bad. I think on the whole I'm slightly better this time but we will wait and see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back