Birth plan

There's a birth plan thing on an nhs website that goes through various questions to help you plan. The mw I saw last said I should get one ready for next appointment, but I'm pretty clueless being first time. Trouble is, I've never really seen the same mw throughout so can't trust I'll get the help or advice on how to do it! I'm a go with the flow type, so I guess I'll leave a lot of it pretty vague...

Thanks everyone.

I will mostly take it as it comes since I don't really think it ever goes to plan and I don't even know what to expect! :)

However, I will raise some questions and preferences

- I want my baby to have vitamin K injection ( after all this is the recommendation based on research )
- Will have the placenta injection
- No forceps unless a risk of hurting baby of course ( prefer c section )
- Basically give me all the air and drugs you have for pain :)

xx

Also if u need forceps and then ask for a section it can damage ur insides more than baby coming out. Plus it's not good for baby
X

Ive heard too many horror stories with forcep deliveries. Id avoid at all costs, if they can obv.

Good luck.

xxxx

I used the NHS birth plan as a guide and went through it last week with the MW at 34 weeks. I bullet pointed it all but they should go through it with you anyway as there is a section in the green book that they have to check and sign. Mine mainly stated no visitors to the delivery room or the ward, only my DH to be present as he is my birth partner and I wish the experience to remain intimate. I agreed to vit k and discussed pain relief options and skin to skin etc. I'm going to be loaning a TENS machine from them as well.

Id quite like to put birth coaching on mine - like push coaching. Id much trust a MW when to blow/pant than OH :lol:

xxxx

I should add, its common practice at the hospital I will be attending to have immediate skin to skin, unless there is a emergency medical reason (If mum takes unwell, then dad/birth partner is offered the skin to skin initially) and also they do delayed cord clamping as standard procedure too.

I could also specify if I wanted my husband to announce to me the sex, and if he is cutting the cord. (I figure if he wants to he can, I won't really care, and I'm not going to force the matter either way!!)

is anyone having epidural? Spoke to midwife and she said it wasn't the standard and more high risk.. Not sure about it now.

We refused epidural last time, and will again this time. I dont fancy lying on a bed being told to push, plus its the after affects needing a catheter etc - I just would rather not.

DCC isnt standard practice with us unfortunately, so I need to specify that. OH cut the cord last time and will again this time.

Also, I instructed baby to be born onto me for immediate skin to skin, and will again.

Much of mine hasnt changed - the MW will know standard board practices though.

xxxx

No i really dont want a epi what so ever.
I didnt need anything more than g&a last time so really hoping i manage the same. I also dnt like the sound of pethadine either as i believe that is the one that makes baby sleepy and alot of my friends have had to end up having assisted delivery as baby became very sleepy.

Im hoping to use waterbirth and g&a only. But have induction booked for nect thurs (41+6) so im not sure how ill manage.

But either way id honestly rather me crippled in pain then have an epi lol! X

Me too.

I had Diamorphine early on in my labour and slept until 5cm, but once it wore off I was ready to start :lol:

Did the rest on G&A.

xxxx

So much to consider being a first timer. What's delayed cord cutting? I just assumed OH would be able to do it straight away once baby is on me.

Its only delayed for about 5-10 max. Its where u wait until the cord stops pulsating. As whilst it still is its still feeding all the goodness into baby :)

Theres studies where its shows its more beneficial and alot more hosp do it as standard nowadays if theres no complications in delivery.
As my lil boy pooed in my waters he swallowed alot of meconium aswell as it being in his eyes, nose and ears so his dad needed to cut it straight away.
Ive not put it on my notes but it is something id like. But will just mention it at the time depending how things go xx

Last edited:
They delay cord clamping as standard where I'm going too, but I'm still going to add it to the plan!
Summergurl, it's where they wait for the cord to stop pulsating (ie transfer between placenta and baby) before they clamp and cut ;-)

Beat me babyslog - must have been typing at the same time lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back