Birth plan

MariaIsabella

Reaction score
who is doing them? I'm not sure how it works so not sure how to even start with this.. Is anyone just planning to just "go with the flow" :) xx

Last edited:
It depends on your preferences. My own birth plan isn't very detailed but it's important the midwives know if there are things you would or wouldn't prefer eg mine requests delayed cord clamping and natural 3rd stage, which aren't the.norm so if it wasnt written down they might just go ahead with cutting and injecting. You can also include things like who is your birth partner, do you want baby cleaned before handed to you etc Your midwife will go through a lot of the options with you though so don't feel you have to come up with a plan all by yourself.

Ive not really put a 'plan' together as such. Learnt from the first time 9/10 it wont go that way lol.

But what ive done is mentioned if possible id like a water birth, skin to skin, consent to baby having vit k injection and me to have injection to deliver placenta quicker. That id like to bf and have help with latching as this was an issue for me witn baby no1.

Consented to having emergency c section or forceps (but only if baby is at danger) ..
Ive said i DO NOT want an epi ehat so ever unless its for a c sec.

Just things that saves them time asking me so they can prep and crack on quicker xx

ok, will take it with the midwife before.

I know I want an epidural for sure, is that an option I have or do they only give if labor is going on forever?

I also absolutely want to avoid forceps and rather have c section if an emergency( heard a horror story about forceps delivery ). Guess that's an option as well or will they avoid c section until forceps has been tried?

nope.....thankfully didn't have a plan for my first child as it went so far from what I had 'hoped' for....so I have learnt that there is no point having one (in my opinion) as it unlikely to follow the path!

Though this time I have a clear plan lol - elective C-section all the way, if I can persuade the twins to not arrive early!!

When do we write things like this in our notes?
I'm a big planner & get stressed if nothing goes to plan so I'm not intending on writing a plan as such just the important instruction bits like birth partner, do whatever needs be to keep baby safe (touch wood) if anything starts to go a bit 'wrong' etc

I really dnt like the idea of foreceps either hun so dnt blame you.

I think u can request an epi from 4-5cm onwards. But hosps may have their own policy.
Defo talk all that over with MW so shes clear and can make notes in ur book.

Ive printed out mine myself and stuck it to te front of my folder so they can clearly see what ive asked r not asked for xx

I think the words birthing 'plan' does sometimes give people false hope. My understanding of plans is that regardless they can always fail. So having an ideal labour that you'll follow to a T is a no go.

However I put what I want and didn't want and will be adapting it last time since learning about more things ie DCC and immediate discharge (should all be well). So the things I want and don't want in labour otherwise how will the MWs know what your comfortable with. Having this type of discussion with a woman whilst in labour probably leads to a few women doing things they wouldn't normally have chosen if asked in a more calm pain free atmosphere.

My last plan was fairly loose and only needed a few sentences. I went with the flow more or less and had a Fab labour.

xxxx

Last edited:
I wasn't sure about this and discussed it with my midwife at last appt. She said the main things they needed to know before painnin labour took over was if baby was to get Vitamin K after birth, and if I wanted the injection to help deliver the placenta. Other than that the rest is all personal preference. I left most blank to be honest and saidbI was happy to go with the flow on the day. Having not done it before I have no idea how I will be. She seemed happy with this!

I never realised I was supposed to write one with my 1st, so I didn't. When I got to hospital they asked me afew questions about pain relief and vit K for baby, and did my husband want to cut the cord. Figure I'll do the same this time.

What's the vit K injection?
And is it better to have the injection to deliver the placenta? How long can that take after birth?x

https://www.nct.org.uk/parenting/vitamin-k

Heres the link to the vit K, ur mw should go over this for you do u understand.
They can have it orally but they need a 2nd dose at ur gp a few wks later. The jab is just a one off.

Not sure how long placenta can take naturally, but its out within minutes with the injection.
U can still have delayed cord clampig and then opt for the jab to help deliver after cord is cut x

I've actually been trying to find out about the injection tonight! I think it can take an hour without to deliver your placenta, but the injection can make you feel very nauseous and rough. Having the injection is supposed to limit immediate blood loss though.

Basically, in my case, I think I'm going to avoid it unless I need it - ie if I bleed excessively, or the placenta is taking a while to deliver. I don't remember any ill effects from it last time, but I don't even remember delivering my placenta let alone having the injection!!

I had VitK with J. I was in a shower and munching a bowl of rice crispies.

Of course everyone's diff but I had been sick 9m so expected to during labour but no sickness lol.

xxxxx

Russell - the Vit K is for baby once they're out, won't affect you! It's the syntometrine injection you have to deliver the placenta.

Awwww my bad yeah that's what I meant the one to deliver the old life cushion lol. Thanks :blush:

xxxx

I had the placenta injection with Noah due to my 2nd degree tear needing immediate stitching as i was bleeding alot.
I didnt even no i had it until after and wasnt sick at all afterwards.

So ive consented again just to speed things up again.
Sod waiting an hour I wanna get home lmfao x

What's the vit K injection?
And is it better to have the injection to deliver the placenta? How long can that take after birth?x

If baby has the injection it's done straight away and it's done. If they have it by mouth to have to go back a few times. My hospital will only give you the injection for the placenta if your likely to bleed out and a few other things. Different hospitals may have different policies.

ok, will take it with the midwife before.

I know I want an epidural for sure, is that an option I have or do they only give if labor is going on forever?

I also absolutely want to avoid forceps and rather have c section if an emergency( heard a horror story about forceps delivery ). Guess that's an option as well or will they avoid c section until forceps has been tried?

I have said I do not want forceps as well and asked if I could have an emergency section. The problem with this is the baby is in the birth canal and in order to get it back up they would need to put there hand up you and push baby back up. The consultant mw said this could cause more injuries than the forceps or the other one they use. As they will be pushing on babys skull. I really don't want them but I'd rather that than them pushing baby back up as I feel it would cause more stress to baby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back