Being pregnant and young!

Sparks09

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new here! :)

I'm eighteen years old and i've just found out that me and my boyfriend are expecting (i'm nearly seven weeks)! We hadn't planned the baby and have only been together for three months however we've decided to take responsibility and carry on.
We both live together already and I work six days a week with show horses.

Just wanted to ask a few questions really...

- To any young mums out there, how did you cope with having a child so young and having to give up a lot of your social life?

- When is a good time to tell work?
I work with quite highly strung show horses that can get a bit carried away with themselves and so i'd prefer not to be dealing with naughty ones but I'm not sure when to tell work as i've only been working for them since late Feb.

- Is it uncommon to be having bleeding daily?
Its not heaving bleeding, but its not spotting either. I've rung the doctors and told them but they don't seem to be too worried and haven't offered me an appointment or advice! I sometimes have nausea and stomach pains but thats it!

Thanks all,
Sophie! x

hi Sophie,
although i cant answer your questions as im a newbie too, i just wanted to say hi and congrats! I feel in the same position as you even though i've just turned 25!!! i'm here if you want to chat :)
christy x

congrats my mum had me when i was 18 she done a fab job and she was alone ..u will b fine x

hello sophie i fell pregnant with my son when i was 18 gave birth at 19 giving up my social life wasnt a problem i fell in love with being a mummy. if the doctors arent worried then its probably nothing to worry about, due to the nature of your job you will have to tell them asap just incase anything happens that causes you to get hurt.

xx

My mum had me when she was 19 and my sister at 20 and she did a fab job :) I think that you sound like you have a mature head on your shoulders anyway and people that are 15 years older don't automatically make better parents just because they're older (if that makes sense lol). I'd speak to your boss pretty soon due to your job and if the spotting continues make an appointment with your gp and go to speak to them directly x

P.S. CONGRATULATIONS TOO :)

Hiya,

I just wanted to say that I had my son when I was 18 and he is the best and most precious person in my life. My social life (lack of) didnt bother me but having a baby doesnt mean the end of it forever. You will still get to have fun and live your life, you will just have a lovely little one with you. Loads of luck and huge congratulations xx

Hey im laura i was 16 when i was pregnant with my first had her 4 days after my 17th, i had been will her father 3 months when i got pregnant so definitly wasnt planned i was a very social person but she was worth not having much of a social life, at 21 im now pregnant with my second (planned) and couldnt be more proud to be a young mummy. Its totally up to you when you tell work although its probably better sooner rather than later so they can put a risk accessment in place so yours and babies stafety is put first, if you feel worried about your bleeding then definitly keep on your doctor until they do something, have you been in contact with your midwife yet if you have maybe you could speak with her she might be abit better at maybe getting you in for an early scan to see why your bleeding although many women do spot or have a light bleed in pregnancy xx

I had M at 19 her dad however didn't want to know and still doesn't so I'm a young single mummy. The going out thing really doesn't bother me I've been out a few times since having her and its not really a big deal she's 100 % worth giving it up. Being a young mummy isn't a bad thing it just means you get to have them that little bit longer. Good luck :) xx

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Hi congrats, are you actually riding the horses? A lot of places don't let you if they know you are pg- and in my opinion it's to worth it. We had a little scare with bleeding at 8 weeks (roughly when I would have had my period) and had a scan and it ended up being fine. However, if you are worried I would recommend not riding, it old only take a little tumble for something bad to happen and you need to decide if it's worth it for you- it wasn't for me- I stopped riding as soon as I found out. Good luck xx

Hi, I wouldn't worry about being a young mum, age is just a number, I was 17 when I had my first and as I never really had a social life, I,ve not missed much. I was working on a dealing yard, with horses with all sorts of temperaments, some of which had never been handled, it was my job to sort them out and when I found out I was preg I only worked with those that had had some handling and were settled and not likely to lash out. With riding, I only rode my own who I knew inside out, and rode till I was 5 months, just gentle hacking. I did the yard duties till 4 weeks before my due date. I didn't tell my boss untill 12 weeks when the risk of miscarrige drops and as she was a close friend she was very flexible

Last edited:
Hello and congrats.
I had just turned 17 when i had my first, and i never looked back. I know how scary it can be too but i dont think all the horror stories you hear are all true. I fell in love with being a young mumand we are now currently expecting our second 4 years later :) I still saw my friends just they had to come over to mine or when we went shopping i had pushchair :) You will adapt :)
Its the best thing ever
I cannot help with work and stuff as i wasnt working at that point but now i am and telling my employer next week as i do not want to put me or baby at risk so i think you should do the same working with horses.
Best of luck xx

Thanks all :D

I went to the hospital today as the bleeding didn't stop and they done and internal examination and apparently i'm having a threatened miscarriage and so I have a scan booked for friday!

Wish me luck!!

xxx

:-( fingers crossed all is ok lovely try not to worry and take it easy xxxx

Fx it's just a horrible scare. I hope it goes ok on Friday hun x

I'm 19 years old and 8 weeks pregnant with my first :) i hope your scan shows that everything is okay. i was in hospital at 6 weeks with threatened miscarriage but now i'm fine and baby is okay

Hi Sophie, I have my fx for you hun.
Dont worry about being a young mum, i was 15 when i had my son, i left school early to bring him up and i dont regret it one bit, as for social life i went to mother and toddler group and met new friends, i still talked to and once in a while went out with my old friends but having my son was the best thing ever. hes 14 in a few months, and knows where he wants to be in life, hes even decided which uni he want to go to. I remember after having him being on the ward and being looked down upon and the tuts and comments made, but hes a good lad and personally i tihnk i have done an amazing job at being a mum.
Any way i hope everythng goes well for you hun.

Zoe

Thanks all, has put my mind at rest a bit! Sounds silly but I just worry that it won't come naturally to me :/

As for the scan today, they done another internal and could see the yolk sac but its apparently too early to see enough so have to go back in ten days!
The bleeding has slowed down but the pain is unfortunately worse!

Hopefully all be sorted soon!

Thanks again everyone :)

Xx

I am sure I wouldn'tbe ready to be a mum at 18 or 19 if I look back at myself when I was that age but that doesn't mean this is the same for everyone, One of my friend fell oregnant (planned) at 19 and she is a lovely mother! i got my first at 23 and people sometimes give nasty comments about that too.where I live many people are way over 30 before they start thinking about children. i thnk if you are ready emotionally it is great and only has benefits to be a young parent. Good luck and hope you will have a nice pregnancy and lovely baby :D

Hi Sophie..

I found out i was 6 weeks pregant 4 days after my 18th birthday.. so i caught when i was 17 was shocked as drank alot of alcohol on my 18th as you do and got abit worried as didnt no i was pregnant we didnt plan it and i am still really scared about having a baby at 18 still... after seeing an early scan it all became real and i was crying as i didnt no what to do.. so worried and scared but i know i got my fiance and my parents and 2 sisters to help me out. my other sister don't want anything to do with me or my baby which is hard as i am not allowed to see my niece or nephew :(

Hope all is going ok with you sophie here if u want a chat?

Kelli xxx

Hello lovely. I had my son last year at 18. Been with my oh for 4 months and we got caught on the pill! We now live together and have a healthy 6 month old. We still get nights out not as much as before but we appreciate them more now :) its the most worth while thing ever! I also bled through my pregnancy because of an erosion on my cervix? If the doc is offereing to see you I'd get checked out just to be sure x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ARCHIATER
Back