Baby's who take a lot of milk and early weaning help

diane

Reaction score
I'm getting so sick of my hubby's family telling me how my lo needs to start being weaned. She's 15 weeks and they're desperate for it! They tell me because she's taking LOTS of milk she needs it! She has 9oz every 3 hours through the day. Now I know this is a lot but I don't see how weaning early will help? She won't be getting nutrition through the small amounts of food so I'm just keeping giving her milk, but apparently I'm not giving her what she needs? But surely giving her fruit and veg won't fill her anymore than milk?

I'm doing blw and waiting till 26 weeks. Am I doing the right thing or does she need weaning now as she takes a lot of milk? She finishes all her 9oz bottles but doesn't cry for more. I've shown them the nhs "no rush to mush" booklet and explained how she can't sit unaided etc but they're making me feel like a bad mum! What does everyone think?

If you want to wait then wait. You're not depriving her of anything as like you said she won't get any nutritional gain from early weaning. Her main source of nutrition up to a year old should be milk anyway.

Yay for a baby who likes her milk though :pompom: there's a lot of cheeky little pf babies who could do with some milk drinking lessons lol

Do what you feel is best, YOU are her mummy, no one else x

If she's satisfied with the milk she's having, there's no need to start weaning early. I would've ideally waited until Ethan was 26 weeks to start BLW, but milk wasn't satisfying him at all and I started weaning him at 17 weeks.
Don't feel pressured into weaning early, stick to your guns - you know what's best for your little girl!

Xxx

I dunno what it is about inlaws and solids, but mine were telling me I should get DS on rusks in his milk to help him sleep through the night! Just ignore them. I've found an absent smile while thinking murderous thoughts works wonders. In their defence, depending on how old OH is, weaning earlier was the done thing when they raised him. My parents started weaning all of us about the 3-4 month stage (30+ years ago mind!).

As long as you're happy that LO is satisfied, don't worry. Besides, I would be tempted to try something like hungry milk before weaning early.

Also, how is your LO at night? Does she take a feed at night? She might just be having large amounts in the day to make up for night.

It's a myth that a baby who takes a lot of milk needs to be weaned early. A baby who takes a lot of milk simply needs a lot of milk.

As long as bub is weighing OK and seems happy in herself I'd ignore other peoples "advice". At 15 weeks her little tummy wouldn't be able to take food anyway...

It's such a shame that people are in a hurry for LO to grow up, they should be enjoying her as she is.

I would send them a few links on the current weaning guidelines and hopefully that will shut them up.

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
Thanks ladies! She sleeps 8-8 so I do think she stocks up through the day. She's on anti-reflux milk.

I'm totally with you on the "growing up too soon" thing. I honestly don't see the rush?

Just out of interest tho, how would I know milk isn't satisfying her? Wouldn't I just give her bigger bottles?

At 15 weeks hun, milk is satisfying her! It's just one of those turn of phrases. She may need more milk BUT she won't need anything else yet.

Around the 6 month mark they recommend weaning as babies digestive system is more able to cope (their digestive system is the last of all their systems to develop, it isn't completely developed until they are about a year). It is also around this time they need the extra nutrients from food. For example when you are preggers you pass on enough iron to last the baby until they are about 6 months so from that point on they need a little food to replenish their supply. The don't take much food to start with if you are BLW but even the teeniest amount of green veg will help suppliment their iron.

If you are wanting to do BLW I would suggest buying the Gill Rapley book as it is all explained in there and it's a really good read to help you prepare.

At 15 weeks though no-one would advocate weaning. Your in-laws are basing their info on what they did many years ago and like lots of things the guidelines change!

xxxxxxx

Last edited:
9oz every 3hours isn't that much I don't think! Stick to your guns Hun, in laws in particular are a nightmare, I think it's their way of trying to claw back some control :lol: as for when you know when to wean, I think it's one of those things you just know! One of mine was weaned early, but she was feeding every hour for an hour and still crying for more in between! She was the same when she went onto bottles, I can't remember how much she was taking, but was constantly hungry! My HV "agreed", well, said she wasn't allowed to recommend it, but that some babies are naturally hungrier and ready for it earlier iykwim?

Thanks ladies! She sleeps 8-8 so I do think she stocks up through the day. She's on anti-reflux milk.

I'm totally with you on the "growing up too soon" thing. I honestly don't see the rush?

Just out of interest tho, how would I know milk isn't satisfying her? Wouldn't I just give her bigger bottles?

I'd say if she drains a bottle, but then cries/fusses and can't be comforted, then offer more. I'm forever doing this with DS cos he's an akward sod! He's a proper little snacker, sometimes he takes 3oz other times 7. The other night he polished off 9 before bed!

I think you are totally doing the right thing, hun. I do BLW and started offering food at about 5.5 months. If she seems happy with milk then that's great - keep going! It's important if you do BLW that baby can sit unaided, can reach for food and bring it quickly and accurately to their mouths. Up until the age of 1, their main source of nutrition should be breastmilk/formula. You're absolutely right - nothing you can give her is as nutritionally complete as that. Like Carnat says, maybe get the Gill Rapley book and get them to have a read. Hugs. You're doing brilliantly xxx

there is a growth spurt around 15/16 weeks if i remember right

My friend started weaning her little girl at 15 weeks. (On the advice of a paediatric consultant). She's constantly taking milk, has three "meals" a day, and still wants more milk.

Weaning was right for her. She's a totally different, incredibly happy smiley baby now, and the change was instant (I was there for her first meal... She took it like she'd been eating for months).

From what you say, your baby is happy.
In which case, leave her to it.

Wean when you're ready, and trust your feelings xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27