is this a normal amount of feeding??

ToriElla

Reaction score
i'm breast feeding eva and my milk has come in properly now. at first it took her a while to get used to feeding but today she wants to be fed constantly! sometimes less than an hour in between!!

i feel tired cos of it and feel like i can't keep up - cos nobody can help feed her etc. do you think it is to early to express milk?

can i overfeed her if she is wanting to feed so much?

don't know whether to switch to formula if she needs this much milk!!!

:roll:

Welcome to the club!!!!! :shock:
You're doing well, but I appreciate the frustration of feeding 24/7...... however, it is VERY normal and natures wonderful way of pinning us down to rest (to make more milk too) and recover from the birth! Don't make any plans to leave the sofa or your bed..... it'll be your nest for the next few weeks to come. Don't just give up either.... your baby might be a right little sucker...... give a dummy or help find them their thumb.

I, like many others on the forum, can tell you that it's really hard at times, but wonderfully satisfying once you master the art.
My advice......
Sit back, relax, watch telly and put a stash of snacks next to you - put your feet up and let your baby guide you!
You doing all the right stuff - don't loose heart just yet!!! :wink:
Emilia xx

i agree with emilia you will feel down but try do to lose heart - i just tried to get comfortable on the sofa with the phone, tv remote and snacks and drink within arms reach!! i felt like i was permanently feeding as he was feeding every hour to hour and a half, but was also taking 40 mins to feed so i only had about 40 mins grace inbetween. but it will get e3asier baby is learning too

By the way it is never to early to express, I did it from day one with Damien as he couldn't latch on. Mothercare's own one is a good one to start with if you just want to use it every now and again and is very affordable x

You are right it is hard work when they are on you all the time, Dom was the same, every hour sometimes or more and it seemed like all I ever did was feed.

Take comfort though you are doing the right thing, they only take what they want, they can't over feed, if they are not hungry they won't take it. It is natures way.

Over time the constant feeding will slow down and period between times will be longer - thank god :) !

thanks everyone.

i'm getting more used to what eva wants etc but i would like other people to be able to feed her too.

i asked my midwife about expressing milk and she said it's too early and would interfere with my milk supply :? it would be easier if DH could help sometimes with the feeding so i can catch up on some sleep though.

did it interfere with your milk supply sami??

it shouldn't interfere with your milk supply, i was told the more you express the more milk you produce although its not as efficient as your baby suckling, i wouldn't take to much notice of the health visitor each on i have seen has given me differing advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back