Baby wipes vs cotton wool & water

We used cotton wool and water for about 3 months last time. I found it easier than wipes for dirty nappies tbh and never had any issues with drying off, just wiped with a muslin afterwards (we always changed on one anyway in case of accidents). I've already started stocking up on cotton wool pleats when I've seen them on offer. Water wipes are good however and we did use these when we first switched to wipes, followed by unscented sensitive wipes. We have looked into reusable wipes (landfill guilt!) but not sure they are for us.

Excited to be posting in the mummy section for the first time!

My little boy is just over a week old and already has nappy rash. I have been so fastidious with nappy changes, changing regularly using cotton wool and water as advised by midwives, trying really hard to get him completely clean and dry (drying takes forever after washing with water!) so I'm really upset that he's already got sore. Why are baby wipes so taboo? I can imagine them being a hell of a lot easier in terms of speed and dryness. What does everyone else use for newborns? I'm very tempted to switch to wipes...

We use Water Wipes and they are WONDERFUL! Only 2 ingredients - water and fruit extract - and really wet, so they don't rub, cause irritation or have any unnecessary ingredients. We've used them from day one and had no sore bum issues! We only use nappy rash cream now in the morning, as she's sleeping longer through the night so if she's wet her nappy and it's been a little longer than usual (cos we're all asleep, not cos we don't bother to change her!), then she can be a little pink. We apply the nappy rash cream more as a preventative.

We get the big box of Water Wipes on Amazon, £19.99 if on offer otherwise £24.99, 20 packs I think it is!

I got a huge box of water wipes off amazon think it was about £19 but there are sooo many. Still waiting to use them as Baby hasn't arrived yet!

I hope they are OK with me using these in the hospital although I have also packed cotton wool in case they frown at me.

We used Water Wipes in hospital, the midwives were impressed we had gone with Water Wipes and hadn't bought into the nonsense 'sensitive' or 'baby safe' wipes from brands like Johnson's or Pampers etc!

The minute I don't neurotically wipe my son or when my OH does it, it becomes red really quick. I used pamper sensitive wipes from day one, you can even get more natural ones but they're more expensive, I never understood the cotton wool and water as it just seems like a ball ache and it can just as much irritate in my idea. I always used weleda calendula nappy cream and the redness is gone within a day !

Where can you buy Weleda calendula cream from? x

Plenty of websites online stock Weleda. Lots with free delivery! Just do a Google search :) Weleda have a fantastic baby range!

I've bought a pack of cotton wool pads (the type you use to remove make-up) to use on the sticky meconium poo. As I think has been said, these work better than regular cotton wool which has a habit of sticking to damp skin.

I've also bought a pack of about 8 reusable cloth wipes (brushed cotton) and a pack of Cheeky wipes.

With my last baby I used cotton wool pads for the first few weeks then switched to fleece topped cotton flannel wipes, they were fab. I still have them but they are in the loft with the nappies I kept so need to get them down.
I used cloth wipes and water exclusively til she was 5 months, then I went on holiday so took disposable wetwipes, and then after that I either used the cloth wipes or wetwipes depending on what was to hand (and if the nappy was pooey).

This time I won't be using wet wipes.

Why on earth do the midwives have to shun the wipes? It's made the first week much harder than it needed to be!!!

Because most wipes contain harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrance etc which can irritate a newborn's delicate skin and dry it out.
They aren't doing it to be mean, they are trying to stop newborns getting a sore bottom from having wetwipes used on them - often 8+ times a day due to the frequency of their bowel movements.

When you clean their bottom you really should use a damp cloth or piece of cotton wool to wipe them, then use a dry cloth or cotton wool pad to dry the area. Not just use a wet one and leave it.

Last edited:
We used cotton wool balls (I prefer them to the pads!) & water for the first six weeks, then water wipes, and now at 3 months use pampers sensitive. No problems with nappy rash. Did the same with DD1 who has sensitive skin & she also didn't suffer with nappy rash (apart from when we tried Aldi nappies as everyone said how great they are - nappy rash within two days) always pat dry with a clean flannel too.

Water wipes here as well! We were actually semi-recommended them by the midwife at our ante natal classes - she said official line was cotton wool and water but water wipes were a lot easier and chemical free.

The first visit from a midwife after ds was born she commented saying they only advise cotton wool and water but when I showed her the ingredients she relented (fairly newly qualified mw I later found out). Calebs never had nappy rash and I'll be using water wipes again if I ever have another baby! X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lauramayne90
Back