Baby wipes vs cotton wool & water

ruby2015

Reaction score
Excited to be posting in the mummy section for the first time!

My little boy is just over a week old and already has nappy rash. I have been so fastidious with nappy changes, changing regularly using cotton wool and water as advised by midwives, trying really hard to get him completely clean and dry (drying takes forever after washing with water!) so I'm really upset that he's already got sore. Why are baby wipes so taboo? I can imagine them being a hell of a lot easier in terms of speed and dryness. What does everyone else use for newborns? I'm very tempted to switch to wipes...

I only use cotton wool when I top and tail my lo on the nights he doesn't have a bath. Otherwise we use tesco non fragranced wipes and he's never had any nappy rash. Try giving your lo some nappy free time each day and try and change them as soon as you know they've poo'd and the wet ones as regularly as poss. Some babies just have sensitive skin though!

To be honest, I've never used cotton wool and water on Luca, even in the hospital. Still to this day we use pampers sensitive. I know there's a big difference seeing as Luca is 7 months old now, but he's had a sore bum for a few weeks now because he literally poos 4 times a day. How often does your little one poo? I never had a problem when Luca was newborn because he would poo every other day and only the once xx

We use aldi sensitive and dry our lg off with a towel every time. She's almost 9 months and never had nappy rash. You have to do what's right for your LO at the end of the day. Again we never used cotton wool as was just too messy x

Last edited:
I used aldi wipes to and always have. I think I used cotton wool for a week. My Lo has had nappy rash once and that's when I switched to pampers sensitive wipes. I realised quite quick what had caused it so it didn't last long. On an evening I also try to let little one have some nappy free time and 'air drying' time

Thanks everyone. I'm breastfeeding and he poos a LOT- during or after every single feed- and we do nappy free time a couple of times a day. I think the problem is that he never gets totally dry after the cotton wool and water thing. I'm going to give wipes a try and see if things improve.

I used wipes from day one with Cam.

Metanium cream is great for helping with nappy rash.

Hats off to anyone dealing with those meuconium poops with just cotton wool!!

XX

If you don't mind spending the money Water wipes are the gentlest of wipes. We bought one 6 pack to use for LO when he was first born and then have used Aldi sensitive ever since. He is allergic to a lot of other wipes. Can only use them or pampers sensitive. Some babies will just get nappy rash more than others.

I second the metanium. Best nappy cream I reckon. X

Water wipes are good, bit expensive but the large boxes go on offer regularly on boots or Amazon xx

I used water wipes in the early days and then switched to wipes.

I cant touch wool without having a fit over the sensation.

Jackson hardly got nappy rashes. Only when he was ill with the runs or teething. Which then becomes inavoidale whether you use wipes or wool.

Wool is way messier in the ball form, only time Ive used wool was the wool pads. They seemed to be easy to clean with. But the balls are bitty and messy.

xxxx

Yep I agree with water wipes!! I used them in hospital and when she was new born.. But she's got a bit of nappy rash was using aldi sensitive wipes however switched back to water wipes and it seems to be clearing ever so slowly with the help of mentaniun

So relieved to have all your replies- thank you so much. I'm a first time mum and still finding my way- it's all quite overwhelming! The cotton wool was absolute hell really- more so the water that never dried- nappy off time went brilliantly until he decided to wee (when almost dry). Why on earth do the midwives have to shun the wipes? It's made the first week much harder than it needed to be!!! Have used the wipes for a couple of changes now and can already see the difference!

The minute I don't neurotically wipe my son or when my OH does it, it becomes red really quick. I used pamper sensitive wipes from day one, you can even get more natural ones but they're more expensive, I never understood the cotton wool and water as it just seems like a ball ache and it can just as much irritate in my idea. I always used weleda calendula nappy cream and the redness is gone within a day !

The minute I don't neurotically wipe my son or when my OH does it, it becomes red really quick. I used pamper sensitive wipes from day one, you can even get more natural ones but they're more expensive, I never understood the cotton wool and water as it just seems like a ball ache and it can just as much irritate in my idea. I always used weleda calendula nappy cream and the redness is gone within a day !

Where can you buy Weleda calendula cream from? x

I got some weleda calendula cream yesterday! I could only get it in Waitrose but it might be different depending on where you live :)

For the first month I used cooled boiled water and the big johnsons cotton pads. One to wash, then used another to dry.
Then switched to ALDI wipes.
If there's any redness, I dab a tiny tiny bit of sudocrem on.

I got a huge box of water wipes off amazon think it was about £19 but there are sooo many. Still waiting to use them as Baby hasn't arrived yet!

I hope they are OK with me using these in the hospital although I have also packed cotton wool in case they frown at me.

Last edited:
From the very beginning I used Water Wipes when out and about and reusable Cheeky Wipes at home (just water on the wipes, then added a bit of essential oil after a couple of months).

I get it from boots and tend to buy it when it's priced down x

I still use water wipes for my LO and he's 9months. I used water and cotton wool to start but water wipes are so much easier, if I had another baby I would just use them. If you squeeze them water literally pours out x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back