A question for any baby-wearing larger ladies

pickled_onion

Reaction score
I'm not convinced a standard sling would fit me. I have big bewbs and a belly to match ;)

Where did you get your slings/which types would you recommend for a larger build? I've had a look about but remain unsure.

Thanking ye in advance :)

I have a mei tai with regular straps (I'm an 18 since bubs :( ) and it fits absolutely fine. I have a long Ellaroo wrap (5m) and it's also fine but lets just say I couldn't get much bigger. Ring slings and the like are fine. You can also order most mei tais with extra long straps.

I'm not a small girl and I wear Maddison. I am pregnant too and have a hefty bump forming. I use a Mei Tai from Maria1976, think her shop is http://www.simplymeitai.co.uk

This is the sling I have from Maria, excuse the state of me, this was today while I was cooking!

006-1.jpg

There are different sizes of slings/wraps to suit most sizes. Depending on the type of sling you want etc, most makers will accomodate this. Wrap slings come in a variety of sizes usually from 5.2m - the length of the wrap and your size will have a bearing on the carries you can do. MT's can have longer straps, I am a size 14 and don't use any MT with straps shorter then 80 inches but I like to do lexi twists and need the extra for that. If you speak to a maker of slings they will be able to advise you - google slings and you should come up with some good sites. I am happy to PM you some links if you want.

Yes please, Beanie. If you've got the links to hand and it's not any trouble.

Snuggle said:

Wow, gorgeous fabric! She's a cutie :)

It's just a bit baffling. I was going to get a ring sling for starters because I want something that will be suitable from birth but then I read that they are less adaptable as time goes on. You're kinda limited to a hip-hold, is that right? Ideally, I'd like something that I can get a decent amount of use out of.

*wonders what a lexi twist is*

oooooooh good question i really want a sling but i am a very large lady and was worried about the size of the straps.

I have a ring sling too hun and it is good for when babies are newborn particularly for breastfeeding. The Mei Tai is great from newborn too, I've had mine for ages and Maddison still loves being in it :hug:

I would personally recommend a Coorie from Bright Spark Slings for a newborn and breastfeeding etc. I've not used one myself, but am planning to get one for baby two and have so many friends who loved theirs. They also ask you your measurement from shoulder to hip so you can ensure it'll fit you well.

I am a size 22-24 and used a kari-me really well when DD was 2+ months old but also plan to use that from newborn too this time. I had plenty of fabric to wrap it round me.

A mei tai would also be a good option.

Valentine Xxx

Maria makes mei tai's with extra long / wide straps - she's 8) !!!

Id never thought of using a wrap before thought theyd be too much hassle but i have a meitai which Oh has now claimed and got a matching wrap from Maria, and its such a godsend !!

Theres youtube vids on how to do diff types of holds, newborn upto toddler and it really feels secure ! Oh and my friends a size 18 and she gets on fine with it too, its lovely and stretchy !

So yeah i think you can probably get most styles in a larger size or adaptable for a bigger lady :) Just see which type ya fancy and go from there :cheer: :cheer:

I've got a Mothercare own 2 way carrier and it's plenty big enough for me. Size 18 since baby and I'm tall. In fact there is plenty of strap left so would do for someone bigger than me. I worried about this also but has not been a problem. The premaxx sideways sling is also big enough and I've pulled the strap in to almost it's smallest length which is surprising with my broad shoulders!

I am a big lass (size 26 :oops: ) and I got a freedom sling. http://www.freedomslings.co.uk/ They say that if you email them your dress size, they will make you one to fit, so I did that. TBH, I found it a right pain in the proverbial to use and I never felt my LO was secure. I am thinking of trying a mei tai as they look nice, but I am currently using a bog standard babybjorn ~ commercial, expensive and not very pretty, but fits well and is comfy.

Hey honey! You can have the mei tai custom made for you thats not a problem, just pm me if you want more details. Ive also just bought that fabric in Brown and Turquoise, its gorg!!

Snuggle!!!! I cant believe how much Maddison has grown :shock:

I'm a 22/24 and just got a woven wrap. It's 5.2m and is big enough for me and Molly but doesn't have a load of room for growth. Hopefully, I'll shrink so it'll solve that problem.

So far though, Mollys not loving it :(

xmcnickyx said:
I'm a 22/24 and just got a woven wrap. It's 5.2m and is big enough for me and Molly but doesn't have a load of room for growth. Hopefully, I'll shrink so it'll solve that problem.

So far though, Mollys not loving it :(

Awww hopefully she will in time! Just keep trying babe and if not dont let it go to waste, ill convert it into a mei tai for you if you like :hug:

maria1976 said:
Awww hopefully she will in time! Just keep trying babe and if not dont let it go to waste, ill convert it into a mei tai for you if you like :hug:

Aww Cheers :D

She kind of liked it for a bit but she's been a little grump and just didn't know what she wanted! She will like it though - whether she likes it or not :lol:

Thanks all!

MagicMarkers said:
Theres youtube vids on how to do diff types of holds...

Aha - now why didn't I think of that? There's a youtube for everything these days :)

Ta for the info Happybunny. I did look at freedom slings initially and it crossed my mind that they didn't look all that secure. Or maybe that's just me being my usual worry wart self ;) The pouches Valentine linked to look lovely and cosy but now Maria is tempting me with her gorgeous fabrics...

Decisions, decisions.

My future MIL got me a baby carrier from Mothercare for Christmas. I had gotten a Tomy one that barely fitted me but the Mothercare one was perfect. I am a size 22 on the bottom and size 18 on the top.

I haven't had a chance to use it outside yet as it is always raining whenever I do go out and it is easier just to pop Aimee into the pram with the rain cover!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back