Moving House

babyroo

Reaction score
Hi everyone
Just need a little advice really, my hubby and I would like to move house and was wondering if it would be better moving while I was pregnant or after the baby is born?
I really don't know how realistic it would be to be able to move while pregnant as there is still a few jobs to be done to the house before we put it on the market (probably take a month to do them) and I'm due in August. With this in mind would it be better to wait until the baby was here then put the house on the market? I'm so confused. :think:

if it was me i would wait until after i had the baby because moving house can be a stressful time and being pregnant you dont need any avoidable stress.

My DH and I are TTCing at the moment. DH is in the RAF and is moving camp in August, so if I do get pregnant before then ( :pray: ) we will be moving whilst I'm pregnant - I also moved house by myself when I was 6 months gone with my first.
I wouldn't recommend it, but it is possible.

im moving my stuff atm out my nans as shes gonna be selling it im just packing some thuings veryday and trying not to do too much :)

id wait till after babys born to be on safe side :)

The only comment I would make is that when our LO was born we had no time what so ever. I was reall struggling just to keep on top of washing the clothes let alone do any housework. By the 3 month mark I was just about on top of things. I would reckon the best thing would be to wait until about this time next year. If you can't wait, then getting your house on the market now would be the best thing but it can take a few months to find a buyer and then a few more months for the solicitors to get there fingers out and that is getting very close to your due date.

Selling a house is like TTC - you could start now and still have no idea how long it's going to take. If you want to move house now don't let the fact that you are pregnant stop you. Yes, moving house can be stressful, but so are lots of other unexpected situations that you can't control. In a few months time when the baby is here you might find that you'd like to move house but wonder whether it's a bit better to wait until the baby is older, and then another reason for delaying comes up and so on. If you want a new house - get on with it, it's what I'd do. Having said that it has been declared that I am certifiably mad; I'm mid-renovation of a 450 year old ruin with 5 acres of swamp that I am trying to turn into my home, a garden, orchard and viable livery yard. I've also had to start a new job, organised 2 weddings (one of them abroad,) and am still training my horse with the aim of getting him to next year's Horse of the Year show and Royal International Horse show (not this year's though - baby's due that day!) Baby just fits in with it all and is perfectly happy inside me at the moment.

i moved at 36 weeks from scotland to england! I am a very lucky little girly though, my husband is marvellous and did all the packing and unpacking whilst I directed!! I personally would prefer to move whilst pregnant because now I have everything ready for my little dude and can sit back and relax now we are settled, so imo, move now!!

Hi there,
I'm due in august too and I'm in the process of buying a flat.
We're having to move out of our rented place a month before we'll get the new place so effectively we're moving twice. And I can't lift anything and my husband has a broken arm!! :?
I'm not getting too stressed about it all because I still have a few months to sort it all and I'm hoping friends will help us with the carrying things! But I think it might be a bit close to the wire to start looking to move now, unless you can guarantee that there's no big chain of people involved. I looked at my place months ago and I'm still only just getting the solicitor in gear and arguing about how much to pay for the fixtures, it's taking a long time to sort out. Chances are that even if you start doing up your house now and then sell it you'll have a very young baby by the time you actually move!
I guess it's a pain whenever you do it, so if you really want to move now and know you can handle the stress, go for it!!

The last time we moved I was being relocated by work so they paid for a packing service with Pickfords. It was well worth it! They supplied all materials wrapped and packed everything then loaded onto the van. They do, do an upacking service but we wanted to unpack ourselves.

We put our flat up for sale when I was 22 weeks pg. Its still up for sale now.

Iniatially I wanted to move before the birth, now its just not going to happen so we can take our time a bit and I feel much more relaxed.

I expected to sell our flat really quickly, but it just hasn't happened yet.

Do what you think is best for you, bearing in mind it may take alot longer than you expect.

We moved in 2 months ago, so when I was about 14 weeks ish - as long as you don't do any of the lifting, and make sure you get loads of water and take a break if you're tired, then it should be ok... but depends on when you actually move... You could prep the house while you're pregnant and it'd all be sorted for OH to take over to new house then, either before or after birth.

I just moved house a month ago (when i was 40 weeks pregnant), we only had 2 weeks to move and were still moving two days before the baby was due (luckily she was 5 days late). It was tiring but i still managed to do painting etc. I definatly would recommend that you move BEFORE the baby is born as at least you have time to yourself and can dictate how much you do, when you do it and when you can rest. If you have a baby your going to have to work around their sleeping and eating times and im telling you that would definatly not be easy. I dont think ive had more than 4 hours unbroken sleep at one time since ive had my little girl and its tiring just having to look after a little one never mind move and decorate too.
Hope that helps, and good luck withyour move :D

when pregnant if you get the choice.

We moved when 12weeks with Charlotte - it was great, everyone made me take it easy, so I just sat in a deckchair giving orders, and I got chance to nest properly in my new home.
We moved again when charlotte was 12 months, and this time Alex is almost 16 months (next weekend :pray:). Packing with a little one is a nightmare. He's having great fun unpacking boxes as I pack them, and hiding inside them :wall:

I not only moved house while pregnant, I emigrated to another country when i was 23 weeks! Its not as stressful as you might think as long as you just get on with it. I moved again in Hungary while i was still pregnant about a month before Thea was born.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back