What does a baby NEED?

nickilubs

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm not poor but I'm defo not rich! I'm just wondering what do you actually NEED for a newborn.

I was just wondering because I see things like baby baths and all sorts but really I remember washing my little brother in the kitchen sink with a towel to line it but now it seems as if you have to have a bath and this and that, Things that you could easily compromise with what you already may have or could be far cheaper options.

So what do you really need for a baby....what things have you done differently to save some pennys?

Thanks xx

Hello,

I'm not poor but I'm defo not rich! I'm just wondering what do you actually NEED for a newborn.

I was just wondering because I see things like baby baths and all sorts but really I remember washing my little brother in the kitchen sink with a towel to line it but now it seems as if you have to have a bath and this and that, Things that you could easily compromise with what you already may have or could be far cheaper options.

So what do you really need for a baby....what things have you done differently to save some pennys?

Thanks xx

I don't have a baby bath. Never needed it...never missed it... Had a support thing but even that lasted one bath before I git hacked off with it...

Don't need a moses basket either (my mum brought me one even tho I told her not to bother and I hardly use it :roll:).... or an expensive changing bag, get a cheap plain old bag one and a plain changing mat...why pay good money for something that gets pooped and peed on.

A changing table is nice... I have one...its my "luxury" item... its saves my back...but as its on the other side of the flat....so out of laziness I often change lil miss on the floor in the living room on one of those disposable mats.

Don't bother with many newborn, 0-3 or 3-6 month clothes...people love to buy clothes as gifts and those are always the sizes they go for. The newborn...they are in and out of in a few weeks.

And Ebay is an invaluable source of cheap baby items...why pay full price for something you may only use a handful of times.

but a sling is invaluable its currently my fav baby item...and i favour it over the pushchair everytime.

I don't have a baby bath. Never needed it...never missed it... Had a support thing but even that lasted one bath before I git hacked off with it...

Don't need a moses basket either (my mum brought me one even tho I told her not to bother and I hardly use it :roll:).... or an expensive changing bag, get a cheap plain old bag one and a plain changing mat...why pay good money for something that gets pooped and peed on.

A changing table is nice... I have one...its my "luxury" item... its saves my back...but as its on the other side of the flat....so out of laziness I often change lil miss on the floor in the living room on one of those disposable mats.

Don't bother with many newborn, 0-3 or 3-6 month clothes...people love to buy clothes as gifts and those are always the sizes they go for. The newborn...they are in and out of in a few weeks.

And Ebay is an invaluable source of cheap baby items...why pay full price for something you may only use a handful of times.

but a sling is invaluable its currently my fav baby item...and i favour it over the pushchair everytime.

Nappies! haha and lots of them!
No seriously the things I couldnt have done without are :

A bouncy chair, just a simple one, not need to pay like £50 for one!

As said above, I didnt have a changing unit! I will get one this time but thats because I havent had one before lol Just put your cotton wool balls, dish and nappies in a bag or box with you mat and there you go lol all you need!!
(oh and yeh you dont need an expensive changing mat! I got an expensive one for my first and it ri[[ed alone the seems! I got a cheap one next and it was fine!)

Babygrows and vest and bibs lol lots and lots of them! You may be getting little one changed 3-4 times a day (depending on if they are sicky baby) so not much point buying loads of cute clothes that they just grow out of before they have proper chance to wear them lol

Mittens! or just socks for over their hands!

Baby carrier and pram! (I have seen some brilliant prams for great prices on places like Ebay!!)

Car seat

Thats all I can think that you need! Bottles if you decide/cant breastfeed!
Oh and I did get a baby bath, just used it once and found it to be a pain!! So didnt use it again!!

Nappies! haha and lots of them!
No seriously the things I couldnt have done without are :

A bouncy chair, just a simple one, not need to pay like £50 for one!

As said above, I didnt have a changing unit! I will get one this time but thats because I havent had one before lol Just put your cotton wool balls, dish and nappies in a bag or box with you mat and there you go lol all you need!!
(oh and yeh you dont need an expensive changing mat! I got an expensive one for my first and it ri[[ed alone the seems! I got a cheap one next and it was fine!)

Babygrows and vest and bibs lol lots and lots of them! You may be getting little one changed 3-4 times a day (depending on if they are sicky baby) so not much point buying loads of cute clothes that they just grow out of before they have proper chance to wear them lol

Mittens! or just socks for over their hands!

Baby carrier and pram! (I have seen some brilliant prams for great prices on places like Ebay!!)

Car seat

Thats all I can think that you need! Bottles if you decide/cant breastfeed!
Oh and I did get a baby bath, just used it once and found it to be a pain!! So didnt use it again!!

Sorry if these have been said already;

Nappies :wink:
Car seat
Buggy
Moses Basket (useful for through the day even if co-sleeping at night)
At least 5 bottles and teats (even if BF'ing they may be useful later on when expressing or if you move to formula..)
A steriliser & sterilising tablets/liquid
LOADS of cotton wool BALLS
Hand anti-bac gel
Muslin squares
LOADS of vests & babygro's - outfits are a bit much until after 3months in my opinion :lol:
Grobag
5 blankets, 2 of which are cellular (them with holes in hehe)
Metanium (for any bum soreness, though this didn't happen with Isaac until he began teething)

Sorry if these have been said already;

Nappies :wink:
Car seat
Buggy
Moses Basket (useful for through the day even if co-sleeping at night)
At least 5 bottles and teats (even if BF'ing they may be useful later on when expressing or if you move to formula..)
A steriliser & sterilising tablets/liquid
LOADS of cotton wool BALLS
Hand anti-bac gel
Muslin squares
LOADS of vests & babygro's - outfits are a bit much until after 3months in my opinion :lol:
Grobag
5 blankets, 2 of which are cellular (them with holes in hehe)
Metanium (for any bum soreness, though this didn't happen with Isaac until he began teething)

Nappies
Lot's of vest's and sleepsuits - Can never have enough of these imo
Car seat
Pushchair and/or sling
Couple of hat's for baby to wear when out
Moses basket (I never had one last time but wished I had so getting one this time)
I'd say 6 bottles and teats if you're not breastfeeding
If bottlefeeding then you will need formula
4 Blankets
Dummies?
Sudocrem/bepanthen incase baby get's a sore bum (Nathan didn't though until he started teething)

Last time I had a baby bath which was given to me but I used it once and didn't like it so it never got used again.
I also bought and was given quite a few outfits for baby in newborn/0-3 sizes but he only mainly wore sleepsuits in the first few months.

Can't think of anything else at the moment :think:

Nappies
Lot's of vest's and sleepsuits - Can never have enough of these imo
Car seat
Pushchair and/or sling
Couple of hat's for baby to wear when out
Moses basket (I never had one last time but wished I had so getting one this time)
I'd say 6 bottles and teats if you're not breastfeeding
If bottlefeeding then you will need formula
4 Blankets
Dummies?
Sudocrem/bepanthen incase baby get's a sore bum (Nathan didn't though until he started teething)

Last time I had a baby bath which was given to me but I used it once and didn't like it so it never got used again.
I also bought and was given quite a few outfits for baby in newborn/0-3 sizes but he only mainly wore sleepsuits in the first few months.

Can't think of anything else at the moment :think:

I opted for a travel cot and glad I did as he grew that quick he would have been out of a moses basket by 6 weeks. The one I got was on sale and has lights and vibration and has a newborn bassinett so you dont have to bend to the floor to pick them up and it came with an over cot changing unit which was invaluable. I bought an extra mattress as the one that comes with it was quite thin. He outgrew the bassinet finally at 6 months then moved into a cotbed 9or rather my bed!) and I can use the travel cot without the bassinet for going away or in the day as a playpen.

Similar to this one
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/B ... ots/718459

I opted for a travel cot and glad I did as he grew that quick he would have been out of a moses basket by 6 weeks. The one I got was on sale and has lights and vibration and has a newborn bassinett so you dont have to bend to the floor to pick them up and it came with an over cot changing unit which was invaluable. I bought an extra mattress as the one that comes with it was quite thin. He outgrew the bassinet finally at 6 months then moved into a cotbed 9or rather my bed!) and I can use the travel cot without the bassinet for going away or in the day as a playpen.

Similar to this one
http://www.toysrus.co.uk/Product.aspx/B ... ots/718459

I was on a tight budget, we got:

6 babygros
6 vests
1 jacket
(I knitted 2 jumpers and 3 hats)
4 cellular blankets
1 baby sling
nappies
wipes
12 muslin squares
1 baby sponge
top to toe wash
cotton wool balls
changing mat
baby nail scissors

That did him for the first six weeks as he was breastfed, co-slept, napped on me during the day, and went out in the sling (even from the hospital as we didn't drive home). It worked for us, my baby has rarely cried, only really when he had his jabs. I don't mind not having my arms free or time away from him because he is so content. We did the same for my daughter and she has grown up happy and confident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back