Baby wearing

Sarah13

Reaction score
Just wondered if any other mummys wear their baby? What type of slings do you have?

We don't have many sling meets up here but I've noticed its more popular down south. I found a meet about an hour from here so might go along.

I've got a few slings now and recently brought a woven wrap and love it but think i need more instruction on the various carrys YouTube can only do so much!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I wear my toddler :) when she was younger the sling was out all the time.

I used a moby first after being recommended it by my midwife when lo was 12 days old and then at about 5 months I looked into mei tai carriers and got a cheap one off eBay. That was fine but I wanted something I could do a bak carry with as lo was over 6 months now and was getting a bit annoyed at the front! So went for a connecta which is the one I still use now at 19 months! :)

I meet knew about sling meets! I'm from down south and I see quite a few women baby wearing which is nice. You do still get weird looks when you're out though! I'd love a woven wrap. I think I might invest in one in the summer or just before. They're great for older babies as it keeps them say up nicely and they don't feel squished which is starting to be the issue with the connecta (not that I can complain getting a years use out of it!).

I still use the moby as M likes to be cuddled up but I'm looking into getting something to wear her on my back but have limited funds x

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

I wear LO a lot, mainly in a mei tai carrier which is by far the most comfortable and hassle free sling that I have. I also have a moby but find the large amount of material a bit impractical in less than perfect weather lol. The mei tai is lovely and was by far the cheapest of our carriers (£17). I love that I can carry her on my back too, lets me get things done around the house.

I've got the Boba carrier which i used on my 18 month old since he was 4 months old (it is a soft buckle carrier/front and back wearing) my o/h still uses it now for him :) also bought a hotslings pouch for the new baby xxx

I used my moby wrap loads and loads with my ds and had a cheap thing that i also used loads with dd. Better than a buggy any day. I mean two free hands! :)

I had the Moby wrap, but it was way too fiddly, ended up never using it. Now we have a Baby Bjorn and it's been great, nice and easy.

I wear Lewis a lot especially for the school run. I have a black moby but wish I'd got a patterned one as he spits up a lot. If you get one be warned everyone looks at you!!

I used to wear Sebastian everywhere in the moby! Lots of people commented on it (nice things) and I found it so easy to use! Now he's too heavy for me to wear and he prefers to walk everywhere! Lol.

I use a baba sling for Holly. Love being able to cuddle up and walk at same time

i have a mei tai and try to wear my LO as much as possible, but i have a bad back (locked vertebrata and loose pelvic) from birth :( so can only wear him for short periods. but i love it and cant wait to go to my AP groups sling meet on fiday :)

So would you all say a Mei tai one is suitable from birth? Or would I maybe be better with a babba sling?

I personally have used a mei tai since she was bigger, I used a Kari Me from birth which was fantastic, so compfy, now finding it a bit bouncy though as she's fairly heavy. Using a woven wrap atm and a ring sling (just made it myself, rings off ebay and strong woven material from fabric shop. Do you have a sling meet near you? They are a great resource for advice and often have a lending library. Thats where I've been trying out various for only £2 a month :eek:) The baba slings look quite uncomfy as it'll pull on your shoulder, (I have a weak back tho) also check out this link on carrying babies in the cradle position xx http://www.chroniclesofanursingmom.com/2012/04/babywearing-safely-why-cradle-carry-is.html (also I wouldn't of thought they'd be be supported enough in the upright position from birth if say you had a colicky, refluxy baby) bewarre though, baby wearing is addictive! :eek:)

So would you all say a Mei tai one is suitable from birth? Or would I maybe be better with a babba sling?

I hate my baba sling it hurts my shoulder worst buy for me! I love my wrap but you do need a bit of instruction for them. Like lettie says look for a local sling meet or library to try some out first, we don't have one round here unfortunately.

I live in rural south west Scotland - no such luxuries as sling meets!! Nothing here actually (no aqua natal classes, no pregnancy yoga, no info on reusable nappies!) bit like the dark ages yet!! - just plenty of lovely scenery and fresh air!!!
Thanks for the info though, I think I'll have to go with ordering different kinds off Internet and seeing what suits best. Just can't wait to have wee one here!

At least there are lots of lovely places to walk with the sling! Connectas are great for tiny babies too as an alternative to a mai tai.
I go on this websites forum a lot too as you can buy lots of slings pre loved ones for cheaper than online shops and there is also lots of baby wearing info and advice http://www.naturalmamas.co.uk/ you can even put up an ISO for something you want instead which is a great idea

I'm wanting to wear baby when he actually arrives lol, so hope you ladies don't mind me asking a couple of things :)
When I have talked about this to ppl, they worry that I will fall and squish him or drop him :-( but I would keep a hand at least on the wrap and make sure its tied secure right? Any advice on that, I mean have anyone experienced tripping or the baby almost falling?
And do ppl really look at you? I'm not bothered but why ? X thanks x

There is a brilliant baby wearing thread on Baby and Bump where I got a lot of useful info. I'm not sure if I am allowed to provide a link to another forum?

Most of the ladies recommended moby wraps for newborns, and then moving to something like a mei tai or structured carrier (not baby bjorn or similar but something like an ergo). Moby wraps are not supposed to be brilliant when the baby gets heavier because they are stretchy and they start to sag with baby in, but for newborns they look very secure.

I'm no expert because I dont have my baby yet, but I imagine after the first few times you feel more confident and secure. If you watch this video you'll see there are three layers of support.

As for falling, it's no different to carrying the baby, and in fact probably safer. Mother's have an instinct to protect and even if they fall don't tend to fall on the baby.

I would get a stretchy style wrap for a newborn esp as you haven't carried before as they are secure in these and right close to you. See if you have any local meets near you to meet other mums who carry. Or you could book a consultancy for guidance, they are about £20 a session. I've not heard of anyone falling and hurting thier baby. But I have tipped my mountain buggy over with my baby in it! Ok it was because of the dog but it wouldn't have happened if I'd been carrying him that day so accidents happen with prams too. I wouldn't carry in icy weather though. I just think how often have I fallen over normally, not many times unless sloppy out or I've had a few drinks!
As for looking, people look at babies anyway whether you have a pram, carseat or sling!

Thank you both I defo feel reassured, I always assumed if he is close to me he would be safe and my arms would automatically go around him if needed , I did buy a Moby as it looked good :) Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back