Best sling for a newbie?

maybebaby

Reaction score
I'm planning to wear the baby this time, I only really carried Austin in a 'normal' baby carrier & found the straps were really uncomfortable on my shoulders after a while. This time I'm looking at getting a couple of 'proper' slings.

Having done a little bit of research I like the idea of getting a wrap sling and a mei tai, I was firstly just wondering what the veteran baby wearers think - is this a good choice for a novice?!?

Also can you recommend a brand, money isn't really an issue because my surestart grant has just arrived so I've got a nice little budget specially for slings! There are so many different types out there it's just plain confusing! I had a look at a dedicated babywearing forum but got even more confused with all the abbreviations etc! Thicko here...

Thanks in advance.

i love my moby wrap and wish i used it more as a newborn (used a baby bjorn instead), i think its great to get a mei tai to go along side it tho and am currently saving for one .

I have a BabyHawk mei tai and I think it's wonderful. I only wish I'd bought it sooner!

I have a Close baby carrier and all three of us love it. Jacob goes right to sleep in it. It's so cosy, soft, lasts until they are a toddler (15kg?) and organic. I have back and shoulder problems but I'm very comfortable wearing this.

ah-ha I spotted the words "couple of slings" and I have got all excited (love buying slings so doing it through someone else is fab)

A wrap is brilliant, and a good all rounder. For newborns (and new wrap userrs) a stretchy wrap is the best thing. They are more forgiving for new users. Brands include hugabub, moby, kari-me etc etc. The only thing though is that these do have a weight limit (approx 20lbs) when the weight and wriggleness (new word there) of the baby means that they aren't as supportive. This is where I would get a woven wrap. Same principle as the stretchy wrap apart from they are more supportive and less slippy (when you tie the knot it stays where it is). Brands include didymos, storchenweige, girasol etc. You will find different lengths and materials, if you are just after a woven wrap that you can do all the different carries with I would recommend a 5.2m (no less then a 4.6m). However you may find that you prefer just back carries or hip carries which is where the shorter lengths are better suited.

I also used a pouch sling when Cally was a newbie. These are like a sash over one shoulder and I liked this as it was quick to put on. However with pouch slings it is important you get the fit right, and therefore if you and your OH are different sizes you will find it won't fit you both, therefore a better solution is a ring sling (like a pouch but is adjustable).

I love my mai teis and soft carriers. However I was not a fan of using these for a newbie as I foud them less secure then wraps (though i did use one occasionally). These are easy to use, and different makes use ties, buckles etc. Brands include babyhawk, beco, and of course our very own simplymaitei.

If I could only have 2 (eeeek) I would get a woven wrap and a soft carrier. However personally I like having all different ones as I find they all have their uses. Go on ebay, babywearer or rumplebums forum - they have a section for selling slings. If you want to check its a good sling, I am happy to look at it, and there is also melanie and Kalia who use slings a lot.

moss said:
I have a Close baby carrier and all three of us love it. Jacob goes right to sleep in it. It's so cosy, soft, lasts until they are a toddler (15kg?) and organic. I have back and shoulder problems but I'm very comfortable wearing this.

Us too, I have walked miles today and my back and feet ache less than when i take the pushchair out!

I have a wrap sling that was great when Finlay was little but its not substantial enough for him now

So bought a Mei Tai and I'm with Lorna on the wishing I'd got it sooner

I found the pouch sling great for a new born, and now he's bigger the mai tai is really comfy.

I have a ring sling which i tried once and didn't get on with. I have a baby bjorn which is nice, OH really likes and now I have the MOTHER OF ALL SLINGS

the
MEI TAI

buy one. It is magic! I'm small and weak but it makes carrying her a doddle and maria does some GORGEOUS ONES! http://www.simplymeitai.co.uk it is a fashion accessory as well as a comfy and easy to use carrier!

Ooh thanks everyone, lots of useful info. I think I'm going to get a wrap one to start (love the look of the Kari Me, baby looks so snug!), even OH looked over my shoulder & said he liked the look of them & he's not normally very 'mumsy' about things like that :lol: He also said he wants to get 2 so that I can carry the baby & he can carry Austin :D .

Are mei tais suitable from birth? All the pics seem to be of older babies & they don't seem as supportive as the wraps. I'll probably get one anyway for when s/he's older.

Also, what are pouch slings like to wear? I always think they look like baby could fall out at any second... maybe I've only seen people wearing them wrong?

If a pouch sling is the correct fit they feel secure. If they feel loose then they are too big.

Mei tais can be used from birth - I personally would look for one with support for the head. Personally I much prefer a wrap for a newb, they hug the baby and support the baby all over whereas Cally never felt as secure (she felt secure but not as secure) as she did in the wrap. That was something that was really important to me as when I was out with Seren and she ran off, I could just run after her, or bend down to her without worrying that Cally was going to fly out. Also I could hide Cally if I didn't want people to get close to her.

Youi could get a mei tai for your OH so he can carry Austin. He would look fab back carrying his little boy :)

Mei Tais can be used from birth but i think it would feel more secure the older they are. Newborns can be put in the frogy leg style way in the mei tai which is quite cosy!

Maria can make the mei tais in the fabric of your choice so your OH could have a 'manly' one. Lol.

Some people love the freedom ring slings, i think i was just too nervous to try it properly!

i started with a baby bjorn that i inherited from a friend, and have slowly started expanding my collection since then!

i had a ring sling but connor hated the cradle hold when he was little so i've only just started using for the hip carry hold recently - its fab if i'm just nipping to the shop or the postbox but i wouldn't use it for long carries.

my stretchy wrap has been great but connor's just a bit too wriggly for it now, he cranes his neck in all directions to see what's going on around him and tries to escape! time for a woven wrap methinks...!

and i've got a babyhawk that a friend gave me, which is great - i backcarry him a lot in this and its sooo comfy for both of us. i plan to get one of maria's maiteis soon too - just got to save my pennies...

you could see if there are any slingmeets near you? you could try other people's slings then, before spending any money!

I can always send you one of my basic ones to try before you buy if you like :) then you can have a go and see if you like the Mei Tai x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back