baby wearing... going onto my back.

floppit

Reaction score
I'd love some ideas from other baby wearers. I've carried Freya since she was born (only used the pram once so MIL could push it!) and I love it, sometimes I do get knackered but I still love it. Being a novice at baby wearing I've stuck largely to pouches (hotslings and brightsparks) plus a Babybjorn front carrier for hot weather, (little one is a hot blooded babe and bakes in anything else).

She's now got good head control and I'm looking to buy my first back carrier. There's 2 I'm interested in, the 'Active Mom II' and the 'Yamo' - neither are 'purist' mei tais but I really like them - they look comfy for her and me.

What I want to know is:
What do regular carriers think makes a good back carrier both for long and short walking? (trying to save on petrol!!).

Did you struggle to pluck up the courage placing baby on your back when putting the carriers on?

I know when I first started using slings it was harder than I thought to get us both happy and comfy and I'd love a head start on back carriers.

Any other useful info welcome too... :|

Still can't trust lil miss not to puke down my back...so we haven't really been on the back much...only a few times and everytime shes puked... The sling is easier to put her on my back...but the mei tai is more comfortable... except after puking of course.. :rotfl: :rotfl:

I love woven wraps for back carries, especially for longer distances, but it has taken me a while and a lot of practice to learn how to do them properly. I was ok with putting him on my back, I watched a couple of videos of different methods over and over first and then just went for it!

I also use a mei tai for back carries, which is easier but slightly less comfortable - there are loads of videos online showing you how to get baby on your back, just pick the one that you're most comfortable with and go for it :) (kneeling on a bed is a good idea for the first few times while you build your confidence, or you could practice with a big teddy!)

I didn't back carry Seren until she was a big baby, and I used a babyhawk mai tei which I found no bother. Today I attempted my first back carry with my woven wrap and had to get me OH to help me a little, then managed it myself and she was a bit low so I need to practice more. It felt weird as well not being able to see her. But saying that she was really comfy and felt light ad secure. I strggledto carry Seren on my front when she got really big, and will do with Cally too I think. I just missed having her fuzzy head to kiss and nuzzle.

I'm going to miss munchkin in front too - she's so enquisitive and sucks my finger! But I'm in this for the long haul because it feels so right for both of us and I know in the long run she going to have to go behind.

I love the idea of kneeling on my bed 8) !

Both the ones I'm interested in are pretty much mei tai's just more padded on the waist belt and buckles - no doifferent for baby just idiot proof for me!

I haven't tried either of those. I recommend you go to thebabywearer.com It's a really friendly and supportive forum. Have a look in the asian-inspired carriers bit and you'll find lots of people who have tried the carriers you mention and have chatted about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back