Baby budget!

first-timerhello

Reaction score
Right me and the wifie are looking at baby costs. As this is our first, we don't have a clue!! I mean in terms of reoccurring costs (nappies, milk etc). How much would you spent on a monthly or weekly basis and what on. As comprehensive as possible would be good!! :)

Also do you government give you money per week or because we are both in full time well paid jobs, we don't get anything? Not really clued up on that lol

Hope someone can answer our questions

Mucho love!

Not sure about what things cost, as this is my first. Im expecting to use about 12 nappies a day for a newborn (from what others have said), and hopefully i will be breastfeeding, so wont need to buy formula.

In terms of money off the government, you will get child benefit (about £20 a week), but you could also be entitled to tax credits depending on how much you earn, think the threshold is about £50k, reducing to £40k next year (not 100% sure). Have a look on the directgov website to see if you are entitled to anything else.

Good luck xxx

i would advice to start buying stuff now. wve stocked up on loads of nappies wipes and all sorts so we wont have 2 buy them for months. Satatury maternity pay in £123 a week i think.

id also say stock up for first few months you get used to buying the stuff and it means your ready for arrival i dont know about working tax creds but you will get child benifit

We earn a combined of over £50k so that means that's it's £20 a week help? Every little helps as they say!

We are really after average monthly costs for milk, nappies, baby toiletries, days out, clothing, toys and anything else you can think of!!! I like to plan and not be surprised with anything! Lol

Not really fussed about initial costs like prams and cots as we have got all the prices for that... :)

I used to spend about £10 a week on formula, I can't remember nappy and wipes costs cos I've got 2, but for the both of them I was probs spending about £10-15 a week on nappies and wipes for each of them! The own brand nappies tend to be quite good and the wipes are fab too! Nappies you tend need to shop around for cos different ones tend to suit different babies! Reusable wipes are fantastic too!

I'm in the same position as you. No government help as we 'earn too much' (dont get me started on 'you work really hard so we'll tax you to hell and give you nothing in return' subject!) - just the child benefit of £20 plus you get the £190 health in pregnancy grant no matter what you earn, but that is due to disappear in April next year.

Costs wise we've allowed £250 a month 'baby allowance' for all things baby including nappies, days out, random clothes and toys etc. A friend tells me that's loads but I like to be prepared just in case, plus I really like shopping.... Set up costs of pushchairs and cots etc we'll use savings and have a rough idea of what that amount will be.

Good luck! Hopefully someone with actual experience will be able to help you more.

You are very organised! xxx

i spend on formula is about £9 a week... i buy huggies nappies and we get two boxes for £18 and they last about 4-6 weeks, i make my own dinners and blend them and buy the baby cereal which is £2 a box and i have a few varieties on the go but prob go through a box a week... the jars for dinners if ull use them are 10 for £5.00 so thats 50p a day , for her tea she gets pots of custard/yogurt/stewed fruit which are all cheap enoug some i make myself... days out it depends what ur doing lol but kids r mostly free :D, i bought baby toiletries before madison was born for like £1/2 all johnsons and i bath her every other day but u use sooo little that they last ages... the only other expense is clothes and its not a surprise as its entirely what u chooose to wear.... also if you's are earning over 50k £20 a week is plenty for ya ;) lol i hope ive helped a lil.... i dont think theyre as dear as people make out... maybe when they want cars and uni fees lol xx

Thanks for all your feedback! It's very much appreciated.... I will post the figures once I have collated! Haha! I love spreadsheets too much!

Any other feedback is always appreciated...

I would love to see your spreadsheet when it's been collated!! I am also a bit of a fan of getting organised and knowing the exact costs.

We also earn a combined income of over 50k and I think it's a disgrace we don't get anything but the 20 quid a week, being penalised for working hard since we were 14-16 and doing well! what a load of crap :shakehead:

I don't personally want to start buying anything until my first scan (which is on Wednesday) but I can see me going mad after then!

My cousin had a baby in January and when people asked if they could buy anything for baby she asked them to get nappies, wipes etc and only bought nappies for the first time last week which is obviously a great help.

i earn sod all (11,500 per annum) and i work full time, only entitled to smp and child benefit, so i am saving like crazy for when i need funds after its born, and buying all stuff as the pregnancy progresses as i cannot afford lump sum of things. Other half is going self employed this week as a car mechanic so not looking at his figures just incase it goes tits up, wish i was organised as you in finding exact costs! the thing that worries me is statutory has got to keep me, baby and my car alive! not sure how thats going to happen on £124 per week! x

I think you really can spend as little or as much as you want to, with our kids we went to car boots, and got all toys and highchairs etc there, and as babys don't wear things long, all were lovely condition, esp all plastic first style toys, under 2 years, all cleanable winth detol etc , and come up spanking new, save you a fortune. Own brand clothes too are lovely and really resonable nowadays too. I'm trying to hold back this time, and not fall into the trap of cruising mothercare with a trolley and buying what they tell me I need, as half of it you don't need or find practical to use, prepare as best you can and then see what you really need after , make savings where you can, and then you will have spare when you really want something you have seen! good luck and enjoy

Example, you really don't need a wardrobe or nappy changing station, or a swinging crib, or swinging or vibrating seat. (you may make an issue for yourself here), You don't need half the baby toiletries/ smellys/ medicines that they advertise, one will usually do plus baby shampoo and a good bum cream.

Last edited:
Well you've just taken a load off my mind, thanks!! We were in Mamas and Papas the other day (big mistake!) and you just assume that you need everything. Phew! We've only got a small flat, lol!!

Well you've just taken a load off my mind, thanks!! We were in Mamas and Papas the other day (big mistake!) and you just assume that you need everything. Phew! We've only got a small flat, lol!!

i bought my cot second hand £20 and got mosesbasket for free :whistle:

I think you really can spend as little or as much as you want to, with our kids we went to car boots, and got all toys and highchairs etc there, and as babys don't wear things long, all were lovely condition, esp all plastic first style toys, under 2 years, all cleanable winth detol etc , and come up spanking new, save you a fortune. Own brand clothes too are lovely and really resonable nowadays too. I'm trying to hold back this time, and not fall into the trap of cruising mothercare with a trolley and buying what they tell me I need, as half of it you don't need or find practical to use, prepare as best you can and then see what you really need after , make savings where you can, and then you will have spare when you really want something you have seen! good luck and enjoy

Example, you really don't need a wardrobe or nappy changing station, or a swinging crib, or swinging or vibrating seat. (you may make an issue for yourself here), You don't need half the baby toiletries/ smellys/ medicines that they advertise, one will usually do plus baby shampoo and a good bum cream.

I agree with everything here. Before my little man was born I thought you needed everything but now he's here - I've realised that most of it is quite useless... Midwives have told me that they don't need all the toiletries, just buy a baby shampoo, aqueous cream (use for washing if needed or as a body lotion if skin gets a little dry) and something for their bottom is sufficient. Anything else could irritate the skin so save your money there...

Definately shop round for nappies and wipes (or use cotton wool with warm water) as prices vary enormously but the main advice as mentioned above is don't go overboard with gadgets, accessories or clothes - they really don't need them xxx

Oooo im not pregnant yet but this is a very interesting discussion, thank you :)

Is there any outcome on this?! :blush:

We need to start looking at whether we can cope with what we'll have left after mortgage and bills! It's hard to know where to start with trying to figure out how much we'll need!

I love the idea of asking people to give nappies and wipes, very useful!!

i earn sod all (11,500 per annum) and i work full time, only entitled to smp and child benefit, so i am saving like crazy for when i need funds after its born, and buying all stuff as the pregnancy progresses as i cannot afford lump sum of things. Other half is going self employed this week as a car mechanic so not looking at his figures just incase it goes tits up, wish i was organised as you in finding exact costs! the thing that worries me is statutory has got to keep me, baby and my car alive! not sure how thats going to happen on £124 per week! x

hey Flexilexi there is a shop near u in H. My MIL was telling me about it. And it sells loads of secondhand children stuff. My SIL just started up as a childminder and she got loads of toys for like £10 and a travel system for £35 and a highchair for £5ish etc. I'm going to take a trip there soon after my next scan. i'll text u the name when i can remember it... Damn pegnancy brain! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back