Leap year! Romance? Big wedding? But on a budget

Kelly G said:
danis053.jpg

The girls look adorable *coos* Such lovely dresses for them :)

Not saying the happy couple didn't look gorgeous too, you did, but girlies in dresses like that are always adorable *cooos some more*

debecca said:
We did similar to you, Sherry. We were planning a huge 'do' in Summer 2007 and had been for some time - but then in June 2006 we just thought sod it and booked The Mill Forge in Gretna Green for 4 weeks away!!!

In contrast, some good friends of ours spent £43000 in total :shock:

Sounds perfect :) And I do love your dress. Alas I am not a dress person, if I was I'd have worn deep red, almost scarlett. Of course I'd have had to have dyed my hair blonde or black to carry it off also :rotfl:

And £43,000 :shock: :shock: :shock: That's a deposit and then some on a house, thats a savings fund for future childrens education, that's so many things. I don't think I could ever justify that much money on one day.

I've been to so many big weddings over the years only to find I spend money on the outfit and present and then within 2 years (or less in some cases) the happy couple seem to have split and all the things from their wedding, like photos are no longer wanted. Hell one couple came back from their Caribbean honeymoon and went their separate ways :wall: At least they had the decency to return the gifts :roll:

Not saying couples who have lower key weddings are any more likely to stay together, but I do sometimes feel the bigger the day, the more the expectation on the couple. Also some women are so swept up in the day that they forget all about their future hubby and the relationship becomes taken over for months with planning a huge wedding. Happened to one of my friends, it was all she could talk about and her OH was left out and hardly had any say, just was expected to foot the ever growing bill. Cracks started to appear before the wedding only she was so engrossed I don't think she even cared. They married and she had this huge come down afterwards and the reality of married life was a let down for her then. They split within 12 months.

I'm one of the last of my group of friends from school to marry and have children. In fact, I think the last. One of my friends has been married 3 times and divorced as many. All before she was 30 :shock: At least 5 others all married in their 20's and were separated or divorced before 30. Some are now single mothers, others have new partners. None that I know of from them have married again however.

Saying that, 2 friends from childhood have been with their husbands 10 years plus, and show no signs of flagging yet, so things do work out for some :)

I have to say - we are quite tempted to go to Vegas & get married by Elvis!!! If we did this I would wear a crochet 60's style mini dress and long white platform boots.

But I have always fancied a country wedding with a harvest festival theme. I'm just a Devon girl at heart.

Am off to look at wedding dresses on ebay now!!

So many great stories ladies :)

Squiglet, your dress is beautiful. It looks a lovely shade of blue on my monitor :)

SarahH, I love the idea of a Highland wedding. Men in kilts :shock: :D So glad you were able to have your fairytale.

Princess_Puddles, you can have a great day without busting the bank. Something like a hog roast for the meal rather than a huge sit down thing, hold it off till the evening so everyone can come along, much more relaxed and easy going and hire a band and set up a dancefloor and you are away :) So many possibles, you can combine all sorts.

Sweetcheeks, glad to hear you are not put off :) Here is hoping you get your wish and OH proposes. Maybe you could buck the trend and propose to him? :wink:

Anna.... 17 bridesmaids?! :shock: But they look amazing. I love the idea of their own black dresses.

And those who have yet to marry, its great to hear what sort of day you would like. So good to read the different ideas :)

I think its great to hear how we all spent our wedding day and why :) The thing that strikes me the most is how you all seemed to be able to keep it about you as a couple and not get lost in the whole event of it all. Sometimes a hard thing to do if trying to please everyone or worrying about things.

And so many great ideas for not breaking the bank. We planned a big BBQ/hog roast last summer for all our family and friends to celebrate we had married (many of them still don't know) but the weather so was dire all summer, we just felt it was better to wait. We do plan a bit of a party when we head back to Australia next year sometime. Celebrate with OH's family and friends there, but something like a beach BBQ or back yard thing, nothing overly organised.

Thanks for sharing ladies :)

Tadpole said:
I have to say - we are quite tempted to go to Vegas & get married by Elvis!!! If we did this I would wear a crochet 60's style mini dress and long white platform boots.

But I have always fancied a country wedding with a harvest festival theme. I'm just a Devon girl at heart.

Am off to look at wedding dresses on ebay now!!

Vegas married by Elvis would be fun :)

But yeah, I can understand the Devon girl thing, being one myself. I joked to OH before we married I wanted to have an early morning summer wedding out in the orchard, stood in the dew wearing a summer dress and my wellies! Then I realised there was not a hope in hell of OH being concious at 5-6am on any morning. At least not enough for him to enjoy himself. He'd just look confused and try to find somewhere to go sleep as soon as it was done :lol:

Sherlock said:
And I do love your dress. Alas I am not a dress person, if I was I'd have worn deep red, almost scarlett. Of course I'd have had to have dyed my hair blonde or black to carry it off also :rotfl:

My bridesmaids were in red as it was the only colour I could find to suit all their indivdual colourings

bridesmaids.jpg

weddingpartycar.jpg

OMG I am ashamed to admit how much we spent on our wedding. It sort of happened by accident but we did have the savings to pay for it and haven't regretted it. We hired a castle in Scotland and had a ace band.

I just intend to blinkin stay married. It's not quite as much as Debeccas friend though :angel: ...not quite anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayx94
Back