***August 2019 Mummies***

Im a dental nurse and our practice is extremely busy but I’m really starting to struggle with it.

I’m currently having a full on ugly crying emotional breakdown about going in cos I literally can’t handle the extra overtime, extra stress and pressure of hitting targets before April who means the dentist is doing treatment is Tiny gaps. Running late all day. And double booking and mine is literally the only one being asked to do it all and I’m absolutely worn out from it.

I tell them and ask to have one or two days on reception cos it’s a bit more slow paced and relaxed they never arrange it or they donthen takenit back as the person covering me is then sent to cover at another sight that day.

I’m now 19 weeks and not even had my 2nd trimester risk assessment and honestly I’m stuck on what to do

Im a dental nurse and our practice is extremely busy but I’m really starting to struggle with it.

I’m currently having a full on ugly crying emotional breakdown about going in cos I literally can’t handle the extra overtime, extra stress and pressure of hitting targets before April who means the dentist is doing treatment is Tiny gaps. Running late all day. And double booking and mine is literally the only one being asked to do it all and I’m absolutely worn out from it.

I tell them and ask to have one or two days on reception cos it’s a bit more slow paced and relaxed they never arrange it or they donthen takenit back as the person covering me is then sent to cover at another sight that day.

I’m now 19 weeks and not even had my 2nd trimester risk assessment and honestly I’m stuck on what to do

I understand your struggle!
Just be honest and tell them and if it’s too much just call off sick. I would do that.
I am a nurse and understand the pressure on our teams but at some point it’s about thinking of yourself!
I have been back to work and have done overtime pretty much everyday for free this week. I feel like I am in a similar position.
But really, just insist again and if things don’t change just don’t go

I understand your struggle!
Just be honest and tell them and if it’s too much just call off sick. I would do that.
I am a nurse and understand the pressure on our teams but at some point it’s about thinking of yourself!
I have been back to work and have done overtime pretty much everyday for free this week. I feel like I am in a similar position.
But really, just insist again and if things don’t change just don’t go

I had 3 days off last week cos I got a sickness bug and truth is we can’t afford anymore as I don’t get paid. My partner was off as well as he had it.
I do overtime every week as it is but they’re extending more as they want more and more UDAs for the end of year target. We get 10 minutes appointments and my dentist ends up doing a 20 mins filling or 30 mins extraction rather than rebooking and then I’m running around filling up stock. cleaning instruments.
I’ve told them I’m struggling and all I get from the dentist is that I’m being a drama queen and every UDA counts. I don’t even get paid for my overtime I have to book time off and that’s often booked way in advance so they can arrange cover.

A few days on reception will help but they can’t even do that for me

For those of you who start feeling baby early,
Did you feel them everyday straight away ?

Wow, @Hearyoume & @Anna@work, I'm surprised that you don't get paid for overtime! Don't know if it's a law in the US or whatever, but it's typically always time & a half (overnight shifts are twice the hourly rate especially if the work is considered dangerous here). To be fair the nurses I know are also severely overworked and I have no idea if they get paid for overtime, but I've never met someone who wasn't (unless they were interning from college for a 1 year program or working at a not for profit and some of their time was donated as a in volunteering).

Anyways I haven't been on as I've been really out of it this week, I wake up super early (usually 3:30 am but today I was up at 1:45am as I went to bed a bit early). It makes no sense to me, although I finally timed my sleep and at least I'm waking up when a sleep cycle is finished (I use the site Sleepyti.me). When I need to leave the house at 8am or something for an appointment to show a house at 9 but I was exhausted again by 6:30-7 because I only slept 3-4 hours total and felt refreshed in the middle of the night... you get the idea. Had a ton of energy last week and I cut out a bunch of patterns for bibs and burp clothes (my good friend is a few weeks ahead of me on her pregnancy), but this week I've had no energy to finish so I have about 30 halves done. If any of you ladies sew there are some great patterns from sewseweasy.com

Also! The boob hurting thing- it's seriously related to the fact that your body needs more iodine! I'm taking about 350 mg of iodine a day (added as a liquid to my water in the am) and the boob hurting thing will be gone within about a half hour. You don't have to suffer with it. Here is a useful article on the subject- Table two goes over the risks to baby if you don't have enough. Health Consequences of Iodine Deficiency
Keep in mind the daily amount needed in the US is really low as our useless FDA (Food & Drug Administration) makes the daily value the absolute minimum that is needed to prevent goiter.
I've talked to my midwife about that too and she was surprised that I'm taking it (I've been taking it as a supplement for a few years now), but I was more surprised that she never suggested it in the first place!
"Today, iodine deficiency is claimed to be the world’s single most significant preventable cause of brain damage and mental retar-dation."

Congratulations on the gender reveals, too ladies! I'm at 19 weeks today and I need to schedule the ultrasound. I really wanna know if this is a girl or a boy!

Wow, @Hearyoume & @Anna@work, I'm surprised that you don't get paid for overtime! Don't know if it's a law in the US or whatever, but it's typically always time & a half (overnight shifts are twice the hourly rate especially if the work is considered dangerous here). To be fair the nurses I know are also severely overworked and I have no idea if they get paid for overtime, but I've never met someone who wasn't (unless they were interning from college for a 1 year program or working at a not for profit and some of their time was donated as a in volunteering).

Anyways I haven't been on as I've been really out of it this week, I wake up super early (usually 3:30 am but today I was up at 1:45am as I went to bed a bit early). It makes no sense to me, although I finally timed my sleep and at least I'm waking up when a sleep cycle is finished (I use the site Sleepyti.me). When I need to leave the house at 8am or something for an appointment to show a house at 9 but I was exhausted again by 6:30-7 because I only slept 3-4 hours total and felt refreshed in the middle of the night... you get the idea. Had a ton of energy last week and I cut out a bunch of patterns for bibs and burp clothes (my good friend is a few weeks ahead of me on her pregnancy), but this week I've had no energy to finish so I have about 30 halves done. If any of you ladies sew there are some great patterns from sewseweasy.com

Also! The boob hurting thing- it's seriously related to the fact that your body needs more iodine! I'm taking about 350 mg of iodine a day (added as a liquid to my water in the am) and the boob hurting thing will be gone within about a half hour. You don't have to suffer with it. Here is a useful article on the subject- Table two goes over the risks to baby if you don't have enough. Health Consequences of Iodine Deficiency
Keep in mind the daily amount needed in the US is really low as our useless FDA (Food & Drug Administration) makes the daily value the absolute minimum that is needed to prevent goiter.
I've talked to my midwife about that too and she was surprised that I'm taking it (I've been taking it as a supplement for a few years now), but I was more surprised that she never suggested it in the first place!
"Today, iodine deficiency is claimed to be the world’s single most significant preventable cause of brain damage and mental retar-dation."

Congratulations on the gender reveals, too ladies! I'm at 19 weeks today and I need to schedule the ultrasound. I really wanna know if this is a girl or a boy!

Thata interesting reading Elize about boobs. Although I dont think I could be deficient in iodine.....I have half a pint of milk daily with cereal.....love milk. And it's one of the best sources of iodine going so I wouldn't think that would affect me. Although my boobs haven't been so sore of late....just heavy and uncomfortable I think where I cant seem to get bra right. The non wired one I bought is better but getting the right fit is a pain cos dont want it breaking my ribs but too loose and I dont feel like I'm held in cos of no wire x

Thata interesting reading Elize about boobs. Although I dont think I could be deficient in iodine.....I have half a pint of milk daily with cereal.....love milk. And it's one of the best sources of iodine going so I wouldn't think that would affect me. Although my boobs haven't been so sore of late....just heavy and uncomfortable I think where I cant seem to get bra right. The non wired one I bought is better but getting the right fit is a pain cos dont want it breaking my ribs but too loose and I dont feel like I'm held in cos of no wire x

Yeah- not deficient per se, but iodine is important in the thyroid as well as in any fatty tissue- so women notice it faster because when your boobs hurt from growing etc they will need more of it (I'm used to using it from whenever my boobs would hurt during menstruation). I think it's interesting how the baselines for how much is enough to take were reached- but they've never come up with a 'too much' amount as different cultures have a lot more (the Japanese population get a lot of iodine from eating saltwater fish and their intake is something insane like 50,000 mcg- compare that the the 150 mcg or whatever we're recommended daily (more like 250 for pregnant moms, and it goes up again when beastfeeding). And the Japanese have a LOT less cancer (especially breast cancer) so some research suggests that's related to their iodine intake. (Long story but iodine is pushed out of the body when other halogens are present in you environment or food such as flouride, bromine, and chlorine. Iodine is what the body needs, but it'll get kicked out by the others so that's why I take more than recommended). Here's more info on what it does for the body if you're nerdy like I am :3 -> Office of Dietary Supplements - Iodine

I hear you about the bras, seriously that was something I worked on early on and I bought one that has no wire and feel the same way- it moves around too much, but the wired ones don't stretch. Someone recommended nursing bras as they're very flexible, so you could try some of those on, no harm in having it early.

Ladies, how much weight have you gained so far? I'm 17 weeks tomorrow and weighed myself today, I've put on about 10 pounds, seems quite a bit! x

@Anna@work I don't feel movement every day, and apparently one is not supposed to at this stage. Monitoring regularity of movements is for later weeks only.

@EmmaN27 I have weirdly been hovering within 1kg of my starting weight. And it depends on the time of day I weigh myself. So not really put on anything. A bit worried if that is bad?

@Elize thanks enjoyed a bit of geeking out time

@EmmaN27 I've only gained a couple of pounds so far. I have a far from perfect diet....am trying to make the fruit and veg effort but just totally depends how I'm feeling and what I fancy. But ultimately haven't been taking in any extra calories yet consciously....I'm tall at 5'10 and was a steady 16 stone (and a size 16) when I fell pregnant so want to do my best not to pile on any extra

@EmmaN27 I gained just between 1kg and 1.5kg depending on when I weight myself !
Lots of my friends are surprised though and say I look tiny (when they talk about my bump).

I am a bit scared to gain too much so although I don’t follow a particular diet, I eat the same than before and try to resist on the sweets etc. I have always loved sweets and still have sweet treats. I just try not to eat more and try not to use the excuse that I am pregnant and can do whatever I like!

@Starrynight, I feel her sooouch on Sunday Monday and Tuesday that when she went a bit quiet in Wednesday it scared me slightly so now every evening in bed I lie down flat holding my tiny bump until I can feel her and only then so I allow myself to fall asleep :-D

Hi girls! Just found out today we’re having a baby girl was a strange feeling I was so certain it was going to be a boy! Anyone else know the gender yet or are you not finding out xxx

Hi girls! Just found out today we’re having a baby girl was a strange feeling I was so certain it was going to be a boy! Anyone else know the gender yet or are you not finding out xxx

Congrats @Laurajade! We are not finding out what we are having. Want to have that surprise moment at the end and extra pushing incentive! Luckily hubby and I agree and both have always felt that was right for us x

Ladies, how much weight have you gained so far? I'm 17 weeks tomorrow and weighed myself today, I've put on about 10 pounds, seems quite a bit! x
I've gained about 12 pounds so far, and there is definitely pressure some days when the baby is in a different place, it's quite the feeling! But no kicks yet, every day still seems like a string of tiny miracles (and the challenges that go with it).
@Nikkibiscuit I will jump down that rabbithole with you any time :D
Plus knowledge is power, and comparing notes is how we all get stronger/ smarter/etc(erer). Plus yeah, loads of fun <3

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing ladies, I feel okay now that I haven’t put on too much weight.
I only put a stone and a half on in total with my daughter, think it will be more this time round.

I’m having a boy Laura. Congrats on your baby girl x

I’m not weighing myself. To be honest as I don’t mind what happens with my weight whilst pregnant as long as baby is healthy. I can worry about that after. I think everyone is different too.

We have our 20 week scan today. Won’t know what we’re having until Saturday as we’re doing a reveal with my stepson

I didn't weigh myself until 4 weeks postpartum. I don't think it really matters? X

There’s not much we can really do about pregnancy weight unless we are eating excessively or really unhealthily, which I’m not, so not going to stress about it. X

Is everyone able to sleep throughout the night?
It's been a constant thing for me that several days out of the week I can't, I'll be up as early as 3:30 for no reason and can't sleep for another 3 hours or so. Probably four days a week, and only every other time is to use the restroom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tchotchke
Back