Anyone starting IVF this year?

MrsS15

Reaction score
As the title says...

We have an appointment (date to be confirmed) this month to go through consent for starting ivf. I'm feeling so many emotions at the moment! Im going between wanting to know everything and wanting to remain blissfully ignorant on full details. I think it's the thought of injections worrying me most - which I have a complete cheek about as I'm a nurse and inject babies/children every working day! Would love to chat to those going through it (or been through it) xx

Last edited:
I am not going through it but went through it for this pregnancy. The injections really are fine. I did all mine myself and only found the first one hard as didn't know what to expect.
Wishing you lots of luck xx

Hi lovely

I doubt we will be doing it again but we have been through it three times as you know. Don't worry about the injections - you get used to them really quickly! I got DH to do them the first two times but then he started getting all stressy so I plucked up the courage to do them myself and it was fine :) They just go into the fat so not into any vein. It doesn't hurt and they show you what to do (plus the there are YouTube videos showing you as well). Hope this helps!

Good luck lovely xx

Katie xx

I'll hopefully be going for a second round at some point early this year. Hopefully we will find out when at my appointment next week.

The injections were a lot easier than I expected. That was the part I originally worried about the most.
Then I worried about the egg collection but that went perfectly fine.

My only fear right now for the second round is it not working again.

Lots of good luck to you!

I'm starting next week, my first (and only) round. Period expected Sunday or Monday so will be injecting from Monday or Tuesday. The injections actually don't worry me at all, I've had a blood clot in the past so had to inject myself with heparin twice a day, also into the stomach. The side effects worry me a bit but I haven't looked them up, I don't want to know what they are as I'll probably immediately start feeling them!

My only other concern right now is that I don't have the prescription, they won't give it to me until they have the results of my zika blood test, that's making me slightly anxious but the results should be in today or tomorrow.

Do you know which clinic you'll be using MrsS? Don't worry if you'd rather not say :) I'm going through Oxford.

Thanks for replying ladies!

Lisey, was this your first go at ivf? So lovely it's worked for you!

Katie thank you for your support as always. I so hope you get another go this year or have a little miracle!
I've watched a couple of the YouTube videos and they're no different to what I do in work. I know I'll be fine! One of the girls I work with lives round the corner and knows everything we're going through, she said she'll come round and do my first few if I'm really nervous - I'm sure it won't come to that though *fingers crossed*

Good luck at your appointment next week Millie, I hope you get some answers! The egg collection was another thing I worried about when the consultant mentioned how they do it. I read somewhere you get sedation for this, is that true?

Syd I hope you get the results soon so you can get started next week. I'll probably be grilling you as things go along :lol:
Clexane is the main injection I do so if it's the same as that I should be fine. With the technique anyway!! Totally agree with the side effects, that's one thing I really don't want to look into. I'm in Glasgow so going through the royal hospital here :) xx

Last edited:
I'm getting Gonal F? Then from about day 5 onwards I have something else that is a powder that has to be mixed (looks complicated), that's in the morning whilst I carry on with Gonal F in the evening. I just don't know the actual dosage yet.

Jumping in (sorry Millie) you do get sedated for egg collection.

Will you have the scratch? I had it done last week, studies are inconclusive at the moment but seem to show that it aids implantation so I figured I may as well go for it, they've also suggested embryo glue.

You might want to take a look at the fertility friends site, that's geared towards women that are having issues, it will almost certainly have a thread for your hospital. I've found it to be friendly and a mine of useful information.

Thank you for the luck, I'm hoping that there is more they can do to make the second round a success. We will see.

Egg collection sounded much scarier than it was
No worries Syd :)

Millie, good luck next week. Just wondering about embryo transfer, did you feel the catheter when it was inserted into the womb? Just wondering as I certainly felt it when I had the scratch! Thanks.

Good luck with the ivf girls, your all a brave bunch who have been through so much, it'll be a doddle :) xxx

Thanks Syd and thank you Claire :)

An hour before I took paracetamol. I didn't feel that much pain with the catheter during transfer, nothing that I couldn't handle anyway.

As the title says...

We have an appointment (date to be confirmed) this month to go through consent for starting ivf. I'm feeling so many emotions at the moment! Im going between wanting to know everything and wanting to remain blissfully ignorant on full details. I think it's the thought of injections worrying me most - which I have a complete cheek about as I'm a nurse and inject babies/children every working day! Would love to chat to those going through it (or been through it) xx

Not sure if I'll be starting ivf or iui but hopefully the doc will recommend the best path for me in March when I have my next appointment. I'm a nurse too so totally get your anxieties around giving injections to yourself, easier said than done!

Yes, I'll be doing up to two rounds of ivf with donor sperm this year, probably doing the first collection in march. This will be my fifth (and maybe sixth) time on ivf/egg collection but I have had success (my son had his second birthday today) on the third time round

I found the injections stressful before, however that's because I was worried I want doing them right! If you're a nurse then if have thought you will find it reasonably Straightforward.

Egg collection was also fine, I quite like going under the sedative for some reason!

Last edited:
Syd - my main memory of transfer was busting for the loo for ages and on one occasion having to leave the operation room to go a little as I couldn't last any longer!

Hi tinselcat, I'm with you on the sedation, love it :) I've also started worrying about doing the injections properly, seems like ages since she demonstrated it to me although it was only two weeks. Hope you're successful on your next round.

I've not idea what meds I'll be starting yet Syd, she said because of my low AMH I'll probably need the highest strength. All this is so new to me I feel clueless! So glad you get sedated, I've been sedated before and I also like it :lol:

Id never even heard of a scratch until I read it on here. They haven't mentioned it so I'm not sure. I'll ask when I next see them though! I'll definitely have a look at that website too, thanks hun!

Claire thank you lovely, hope you're okay :hug:

MrsLaw, lots of luck for your appointment. I hope it goes the way you're hoping! Definitely the thought of injections are bad when you're a nurse, total table turning!!

Hi tinselcat, good luck for your next round. Happy belated birthday to your little boy too! I just keep thinking ivf can't be too bad if people do it again and again. It's worth it if you get the price at the end! Xx

MrsS do you mind me asking what your amh was?

One other recommendation (Lisey just reminded me on another thread), if you're in to that kind of thing I would definitely recommend downloading circle+bloom's IVF meditation series. I think it costs around US$60 and there are three meditations to listen to before your cycle then a load more for every day of the cycle. Obviously I'm only on the pre-cycle stuff at the moment but I love it.

Ladies with low AMH, I have very low AMH, I took high dose vit D and it increased my levels, I also responded better with the IVF too. I did lots of reading and read that low vit d levels can cause AMH issues xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back