First fertility appointment done

tract0rgirl

Reaction score
Hi, girls - hope you're all well. Just got back from my first fertility appointment at the hospital. It went pretty much how I expected. The consultant was quite nice. We went through some basic questions first about our medical history, etc. She looked at hubby's sperm sample results and said they were absolutely fine and he didn't need any further "torture" processes (as she put it). My results were good - she had a slight concern over my FSH level, which was just slightly above normal, but she was encouraged that I'm still ovulating and everything else was ok.

Because of my age (41), options are limited. I'm getting a HSG to make sure the tubes are ok. Unfortunately, you have to ring up the hospital to arrange this on the first day of your period, to get it done within 10 days which, next, month coincides with me going on holiday, so I'll have to wait until July to do that. She's also arranging for me to have another scan. Being a complete clutz, and not taking anything in to write down, I can't remember what the other scan was. I'm sure she said it was an x-ray? My mind was going into overdrive in there and it's all gone fuzzy already.

Anyway, I'm having two scans. She talked us through IVF, although it would have to be done privately (which is not an option for us because of the expense). She also talked about egg donation as another option. And finally she talked about adoption. The age limit in the UK is 40 so I'm too old to adopt, but she said there are countries like El Salvador where the age limit is 45. I had to smile at this point as our consultant did sound South American and i thought what a strange country to suddenly pull out of the air when talking about adoption - why not China or Africa? I'm sure if I asked her where she cam from, she would have said El Salvador!! No harm in her trying to plug her home country, I suppose :) Anyway, that's out of the question as well - god knows how much that would cost and hubby doesn't want a Maradona baby!!

She did say that if wanted to go down the IVF route, she would be happy for the NHS to fund all the preliminary investigations - blood tests, HIV tests, scans, etc, to cut down the cost a bit - but she said at my age the success rate is about 10%. At £8000 per IVF session - that's not really viable for us.

So we told her I'd have the scans - see what comes up. If everything is fine, we'll keep trying a bit longer. If I have a problem with my plumbing, that's pretty much it. We did our best and that's all we can do.

Now just the wait for the HSG. My sister had an HSG when she was trying for her first baby. The dye they inject must have cleared her out because she got pregnant the next month after quite a long time trying. Fingers' crossed this luck will run in the family! xxx

That is positive news that nothing seems to be wrong with either of you hun and everything is in working order. Could the other scan she was talking about be to look for PCOS ?

I have also heard stories about women having the tubes tested only to fall pregnant a month or so later so it could happen fingers crossed.

Did she mention about Clomid ? I would assume they could offer you that regardless of age ? if all your other test results come back ok then I would def ask about it hun, it could just be that you need an extra boost and the clomid could potentially give you that.

xxxxx

At least your are getting some answers and things :)

If there is something wrong with your plumbing, can't they do corrective surgery?

Plus, you could get a surrogate to greatly increase your chances of IVF working - i think they don't get paid, just expenses covered. Even cheaper if you get a relative to do it.

It's not over yet Tractor :hug:

Where are you off on holiday?

Hi, Vicky - she didn't even mention clomid, and I forgot to ask. My GP said they may not offer it because my periods are regular and I am ovulating, but I guess it's an option if everything else fails.

Hi, Louise - when she was talking about the HSG test, she said if my tubes were blocked, then IVF was the solution. I'll certainly question it if they do find a blockage or a problem. I can't imagine if they find a big cyst or something in there, they will just leave it. Mind you, the state of my local NHS at the moment, it wouldn't surprise me.

Re. holiday - no where exotic, I'm afraid. We've spoiled ourselves the past two years by going on a cruise, so this year we're back down to earth again and have a cottage near Berwick upon Tweed.

We need to save those pennies in case we need to make an emergency trip to El Salvador to steal a baby :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back