An "egg" question

CARNAT22

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Hope you are all well??

Just a quickie if anyone can help?

is it correct that in general we alternate which ovary releases the egg? So it will be right one month, left the next?

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Yes I think so. I think it could vary a lot, not necessarily left then right then left each cycle if you know what I mean. It could be that the left will produce an egg for 3 months then the right will produce an egg for 4 months etc.

x x

Last edited:
Thanks hun!

How would it work if one of your ovaries was polycystic then?

Would you just not Ov the month the "bad" ovary is due to produce the egg?

I know that at least 2 of my pregnancies have been from my right ovary and I have a suspected polycystic left ovary (they scanned me on the worng date to be 100% sure of this though?)

I know last month I ov'd from right ovary so I am wondering that if *say* this month it is my left ovaries turn could I be out before I even begin? Scared that the OPK's aren't going to pcik anything up this month?

xxxxxxxxx

No :)

It's a complete assumption based on the fact that we have two ovaries but only release one egg.

Each ovary produces lots of follicles each cycle and it's 50:50 which one will actually release an egg. It's like flipping a coin each cycle.

Some people might even have a "lazy" ovary so the odds might be more 70:30 or whatever.

I'm fairly convinced that my left ovary releases my egg 9 out of every 10 cycles just because of the pain :)

Why do you ask? xx

No :)

It's a complete assumption based on the fact that we have two ovaries but only release one egg.

Each ovary produces lots of follicles each cycle and it's 50:50 which one will actually release an egg. It's like flipping a coin each cycle.

Some people might even have a "lazy" ovary so the odds might be more 70:30 or whatever.

I'm fairly convinced that my left ovary releases my egg 9 out of every 10 cycles just because of the pain :)

Why do you ask? xx

Thanks Louise!

I ask because when I was scanned (CD10) the dr said she suspects my left ovary is polycystic but could not confirm as I was scanned at wrong time in my cycle.

I did rebook for CD5 but the bloody hospital cancelled on me so I am now going to have to wait another cycle to be scanned at the "right time".

This was the last part of my tests for recurrent miscarriage clinic so the final part of the jigsaw so to speak.

xxxxx

I'd assume that if you have one perfectly normal ovary that that one would take over the role of ovulating.

The follicles on the dodgy ovary would be fewer in number and grow more slowly and therefore the ones on the right would reach maturity first and release an egg :)

Last edited:
Just read your reply.

I'd assume that if you have one perfectly normal ovary that that one would take over the role of ovulating.

The follicles on the dodgy ovary would be fewer in number and grow more slowly and therefore the ones on the right would reach maturity first and release an egg :)

Yay - that sounds good to me!

Just had a little moment of thinking that it's pointless evern TTC this month with a dodgy left ovary :shock:

xxxxxxxxxx

Oop, didn't mean for my post to sound like it would defo be the left then the next month defo be the right ovary. I meant both can release eggs but not necessarily left then right. :eh:

Think I'm confusing myself so I'll shut up, Louise has worded it much better than me lol. x x

My right side is usually the one that pops, when i was having my scans i had follicles of good sizes on both but the left always seems to be the side that likes to win x

Thanks ladies - just one more egg related question.

Do ladies that have low egg quality / low egg supply ovulate regularly?

I'm assuming that somewhere in my barrage of tests I have had my AMS done so I'll find out for sure in the next few weeks?

xxxxxxx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
laurenl27
Back