Sperm Question...

MrsCow

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long it takes sperm to get to ovary after ejaculation? I always thought that the best way to conceive was for them to be waiting at ovary ready for egg to be released, am I right?

Everything i have read so far says it can take anywhere between 20 minutes (super sperm i assume lol) and 24 hours! Don't take my word on this though... google is evil afterall. :D

I watched the great sperm race not long ago and i think i remember it saying that it is better if the sperm is already there before egg is released. I seem to remember it saying that when the spermies get up near your tubes they chill out/rebuild energy for a little while whilst they wait for the egg, then the race is on for the sperms!

I suppose it depends on how fast they can swim? :lol:

I read 45 mins for the fastest to 12 hours for the slowest

I'm aiming to have them all over the place when the eggie appears!! lol

I think they get there pretty quickly but they have go through capacitation which can take 8-10 hours (so that they are able to fertalise the egg) so definately better to have them ready and waiting :) xx

I've heard that the very fastest can get there in 40 mins but for most it's more like a couple of hours.

The egg only lives for about 12 hours whereas the sperm tend to live 24-48 hours (in theory they can last uptil 5 days) so I guess your chances are better if they're ready and waiting xx

Ooooh good question, something I wanted to know myself, I was actually googling it before I logged in here lol.

Well I hope its true and its better to have it waiting as I (think!) I got a positive OPK yesterday and I have bd'd the last 4 nights in a row so hopefully theres about a gallon of sperm waiting for my egg haha... I just cba to go again tonight, Im feeling soooo tired. Oh well 2 WW here I come!!! :D

Aha!! Knew that u ladies would know!!! Thanku for replies, goodluck in ur 2ww tambo and all u lovely ladies ttc xxx :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nicola111
Back